Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Does anyone over there understand cricket? (Read 3792 times)

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

St. Maarten/Neth. Antilles
Re: Does anyone over there understand cricket?
Reply #25 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 4:42pm

The popularity of the term hot dog is generally attributed to sports cartoonist T. A. "Tad" Dorgan, who caricatured German figures as dachshund dogs just after the turn of the 19th century. His talking sausage cartoons generally denigrated the cheap wieners sold at Coney Island, crassly suggesting they contained dogmeat. It was such bad publicity that in 1913, the Chamber of Commerce actually banned use of the term "hog dog" from signs on Coney Island. The term actually first appeared in print in the Oxford English Dictionary in 1900.

German Americans brought us weinerwurst, German for Vienna sausage, which eventually became shortened to wiener. Other German immigrants referred to smoked sausages as bundewurst, which is German for dog sausage. By the late 1920's, weinie roasts became the rage, with guests bringing their own hot dogs to roast over an open fire.

FYI: the only cricket is West Indies Cricket played in the West Indies. Once experienced it's never forgotten

IP Logged

Melvyn
CH.com Veteran

We all need to relax sometimes,
somehow.

|Yeovil|England|europe|
Re: Does anyone over there understand cricket?
Reply #26 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 5:06am

Karma,

thanks for the info on hot dogs - I am now much wiser. I see your point about cricket in the W. I.  - my fathers father was born in Barbados and I have played cricket there - both on a green and on the beach - a wonderful experience - however the sound of ball on willow on an english green in an English summer is a tranquil experience like no other.

regards,

Melvyn

Melvyn

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!