Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
back to pain (Read 2396 times)
Tobias
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

back to pain
Jun 16th, 2008 at 1:21am

Yes I have clusterheadaches. It is several weeks now that my latest episode started. First I had only very ridiculously light attacks. I started to take Verapamil and few days later the attacks were gone. But I didn't get away that easily. Right now I am taking 360mg per day and it still doesn't help to prevent them all. But luckily I am down to one or two attacks per day. Like the one just few hours ago. I was short on Imitrex. I felt them coming way before it hurted. I was trying to gulp down several glasses of water, I was wandering about fearing the time to come. Trying to concentrate on other things, not on the source of the pain in my left forehead. First I was rushing around in circles outside in the drive way to get some fresh air, then when the pain got worse back on the porch. All the time concentrating away from the pain, turning my head and eyes away from it. Things got worse and I moved inside down to the basement where it is cold and enough room to wander. I was wandering in circles hundreds of them. The time seemed to stand still. The pain seemed to crest. I could barely walk straight anymore. I was staggering around and decided to cower on the floor instead. Whimpering all the time, begging for mercy, covering my inflamed half of the face. After a never ending hour the pain retreated slowly. This attack was different. There were no crampings in my head, maybe because I desperately tried to avoid concentrating on the pain? There were still some painful moments now and then so I kept cowered on the floor until I was finally relieved while lying peacefully exhausted on the floor. Until they fought back. Few minutes passed and the horror started over. This time including painful crampings but fortunately all in all not quite as painful as before. Now I am sitting here telling my story because I am searching for someone to understand me, someone who knows how it feels and who suffered the same. I have still headaches but not nearly as evil as before. Sitting here and waiting for the next attack.

I am 24 years old and my episodal clusterheadaches started maybe eight years ago. I am studying computer science and am currently abroad in Iowa. Thank you for this website and message board. It makes me feel at home. Tobias.

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Re: back to pain
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 1:39am

sorry you are still hurting but glad there is some letup of the pain. You may want to visit your doc again- some of  us here take many more mg of verap -  I took 660 mg in high cycle and that is what stopped my HA all together.  Others have taken more and others less. Some take a combo of preventatives to stop the cycle-    So maybe your doc will have a look and help you with knocking out the pain altogether and explore your options.

DOn't forget about red bull or  black coffee to take at first sign of hit - i have used that to knock out some hits successfully when i was preserving my abort meds.  Also-  you may want to try 02- cheap effective method of knocking out the pain.  See oxygen info at left-

gl to you and hang in there

kelly

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 3:39am

tobias, VERY sorry to hear of your cycle,(i am in one presently too), but glad you found us. If you read enough  on this site, you will find that your hits sound VERY familliar. I think we ALL pretty much suffer in the same way. I have to agree with mezza, YOU DEFFINATELY need to talk to your doc. about oxygen. !!!!!! this is the place to educate yourself on CH. the more you read and learn,, the better you will be armed to fight the beast!!!!!  You MOST CERTAINLY have found a place where people understand , and we all know EXACTLY how you feel!     Welcome Tobias, your days and nights just got a bit better thanks to the WONDERFUL men and women you will meet on this site.   good luck and God bless,     Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 10:11pm

welcome home, you have found us. Im bill, clusterhead since i was in my 20s but just found this website in january and it has been the best thing ever. Didnt think there could possibly anyone eles who could understand these headaches huh?? I was the same way, and it is great to know these people and i cant wait till its my turn to meet someone who has clusters. Feel better soon Coach bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Tobias
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 8:06pm

Hi there,

I don't want to speak to soon but the Verapamil seems to work now. I equipped myself with some energy drink which is a very good idea in my opinion - thanks for that kelly! On monday i tried some black coffee in a very early stage. Gladly I didn't get any headaches afterwards. The only problem was that I barely slept that night. Wink Do you take caffeine nevertheless at night? Thank god, I also got another prescription for Imitrex. However that's a bit difficult because the insurance said that it is a "preexisting condition" (the CH was diagnosed before my stay in Iowa) and that's why they might not pay. Also the price is much higher for Imitrex in the US than for Imigran in Germany. I would still pay the double price to escape those pains.

Anyway yesterday evening I fell alseep dead tired and I still didn't wake up with headaches. I cross my fingers that the Verapamil keeps working.

About the oxygen. I already tried that in the very beginning of my CH episodes. It didn't seem to work though. But maybe the dose was not high enough. Probably I should give it another try. But better back in Germany.

Yes indeed bill. I never met anyone in real life having Clusterheadaches. Everybody I talk about that just thinks oh well how bad can headaches be.

Btw kelly did you have any serious adverse effects while taking 660mg of Verapamil?

Thanks for your replys
Tobias

IP Logged

Lawmandave
CH.com Junior

If you want peace, prepare
for war!!!

Johnstown, Pa
Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 8:48pm

Hang in there buddy,

I too am in hell and working on my 4th week!!! Ice helps for a lot of folks, a cheap and easy way is to put a few pieces of ice in a ziplock bag and leave it in the freezer and at the first sign of attack, put a little water in the bag with the ice and put it on your neck or where the pain is (frozen pees work too!)
    Prepare, Prepare, Prepare!!!!  Get your imitrex, 02, ice ready too go, energy drink and/or coffee all ready and at the first signs of an attack, take your meds (if possible), get on 02 (follow oxygen info on left to a T, especially rate and non-rebreather), drink your drink and do battle.  If you want piece, perpare for war!!!
    Ohhh, about sleep, some report success with Melatonin to help with sleep and stop or limit night time attacks!  I just got some from Walmart for $8 but have not had a chance to try it yet!  I will report my findings when I can but a lot say it helps with sleep and swear by it!
     Well, sorry you had to find us Clusterheads but trust me, you have come to the right place!!!  Best wishes and PF times ahead!

Dave

Lawmandave  
IP Logged

Melvyn
CH.com Veteran

We all need to relax sometimes,
somehow.

|Yeovil|England|europe|
Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 6:59am

Hi Tobias,

thanks for the graphic description of the pain and mental hell that is CH. Yes only those who experience can fully relate to it.

remember - in your darkest hour - that you will beat the beast because we all do.

Hope the verapamil keeps working.

regards & PF days,

Melvyn

Melvyn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!