Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Return of CH but different pattern.... (Read 2920 times)
Cathy Jo
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Return of CH but different pattern....
Jun 22nd, 2008 at 5:05pm

Hi everyone:
I used to be  involved with CH.com several years ago, but the beast left me and only came back once, shortly, several years ago.  I believe the last time I posted was in 2000??  Hopefully some may remember me.  I had a short cycle about 3 years ago and the lithium I had taken previously had no effect.  Tried Topomax....bad side effects.  So, I tried Melatonin.  Worked great.  Started out and 12 mg then cut back to 9 and have been on that since ---- have not taken a break at all.  Now, this past week I have been waking up in the am with CH.....probably on the scale of about a 5.  I am fine through the entire night, then after I wake up, it starts.  Lasts for about 45 minutes, then subsides to a shadow for the most part of the day.  I have not taken Imitrex for it as they really aren't "that bad"....but could get to that point.  I have had 10s in the past.  Any suggestions?  I will be making an appt. with my neurologist and want to be somewhat educated on any new meds out there.  I also thing that this MAY be related to my occipital artery / nerve.  I have been waking up over the past several weeks, on and off, with neck pain in that area along with some migraine headaches.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.  Thanks and I'm glad to see SOOOO many people still coming to the site. 
Cathy Jo O'Neil

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Return of CH but different pattern....
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 11:56am

Current thinking in these articles. There is much research being done in surgical/electrical stimulation techniques but nothing is yet at the stage to be really recommended except in dire cases.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 3:34pm

Caffeine, taurine. 02
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 8:02pm

Cathy Jo,

Bob Johnson gave you two very good links to check out.  Jump on oxygen therapy as soon as you can.  It works wonders, costs far less than any other CH med, and it has virtually no side effects.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Cathy Jo
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 10:29am

Hi:
I have tried O2 in the past.  Didn't touch them.  Have been on the many migraine meds such as caffergot....no luck.  Lithium was the best for the CH several years ago.  Is it worth trying again?  The big difference this time is no waking up in the middle of the night with them.  Perhaps this is due to the Melatonin.  However, I am getting them either in the a.m. after waking up or early evening when "relaxing".  I will print out those references and take them to my neuro, whom I see tomorrow a.m.  But, until then, any other suggestions are welcome!!
Thanks a bunch!
Cathy Jo

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 11:41am

Quote:
I have tried O2 in the past.  Didn't touch them.   

Then you may not of administered it propery.
Try again with the proper application you will be glad you did.
thebb Wink
tell em Batch

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 3:35am

Many find oxygen didn't work the first time they tried it because they had incorect technique, thy used nasal canulas, re breather masks, low flow rates. For oxygen to stop a headache, you must get pure 02 to the lungs, and nothing else. No outside air, no re breathed air, just 02. I use a "demand" type regulator, most use a "Non Re Breather" mask with a high flow regulator, at least 15 lpm. It must be started at the first sign of an attack. I can abort an attack in as little as 6 minutes.

I still use lithium as my prevent, at 1200 mg a day, when on cycle, it blocks 80-90% of my attacks, the 02 will usually beat down the ones that break thru the lithium. With CH it's often beneficial to retry a med that didn't work the first time, the beast never seems to stop morphing. Good luck whichever route you take.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:20pm

Thanks sarge.
thebb Wink

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 4:36am

i use a 25 lpm regulator. i crank it all the way up, and hyperventilate. 15 lpm minimum. if you are using a mask, make sure it's air tight and the round rubber flaps are sealing. haste is a must using o2. if i get on it before i get to a kip4 or a 5 i can level it out and the length of the attack is about 5 to 7 minutes. if you wait until it's out of control o2 is not going to help much. there are very few of us that do not get relief with o2.

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 5:18am

Cathy Jo,

Check out those fantastic advices given above and I hope that you'll find something helpful with your fight. Smiley

Lots of PF days your way,
Sanna

IP Logged

Melvyn
CH.com Veteran

We all need to relax sometimes,
somehow.

|Yeovil|England|europe|
Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 2:01pm

Hi Cathy Jo,

I also use Melatonin - for this cyle and my last. I posted some info recently on the Meds Board under 'Does Melatonin really work' you mayfind some helpful info there.

regards & PF days,

Melvyn Smiley

Melvyn

IP Logged

Lawmandave
CH.com Junior

If you want peace, prepare
for war!!!

Johnstown, Pa
Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 10:51pm

Hi Cathy Jo,

Sorry you had to come back to us but WELCOME back!  I would say, YES, try the 02 again.  I am case in point!!!  I tried it years ago with no relief but I had the process all wrong  Angry.  I just recently retried it following the Oxygen Info (listed on the left) to a T, thanks to a few wonderful people on the forum and it works great for me!  Also try energy drinks, strong coffee and ice.  Most of us can agree that what might work for one bout may not work for another.  Retry what worked in the past, it may provide relief again.  All the best and PF times ahead!!!

Dave

Lawmandave  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!