Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New To Clusterheads (Read 2145 times)
zoe
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New To Clusterheads
Jun 23rd, 2008 at 10:36am

Hi my name is Marilyn and I have had clusters since 1971 so you all can imagine the experience I have had with medicine and the attitudes  of the medical field st the beginning. Sad My first prescription was a pill call spacetab...yep and it didn't do a thing for my headache! then I was given for several years Triavil which is a antidepressant/tranquiler from there I was put on many many different types of drugs. given many many tests....cat scans over and over MRI's several of them.Many doctors and several neurologists over the years. Then one day back in 1989 I went and seen a neurologist that put me on oxygen and some type of nasal spray. The oxygen really help alot. he was the first doctor to really understand the real pain of the cluster headache!!!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: New To Clusterheads
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 11:49am

Sadly, your experience with docs is not uncommon but there is some improvement being reported.
===========
Headache. 2000 Oct;40(9):730-5.

The misdiagnosis of cluster headache: a nonclinic, population-based, Internet survey.

Klapper JA, Klapper A, Voss T.

Colorado Neurology and Headache Center, Denver 80218, USA.

OBJECTIVE: We conducted the first nonclinic, Internet-based survey of cluster headache to investigate this population with regard to diagnostic problems encountered, effective and ineffective medications, problems obtaining medications through third-party payers, and symptoms as they relate to International Headache Society criteria. BACKGROUND: Previous cluster headache surveys have been at specialty centers. These patients might be different from cluster headache sufferers in the general population. An Internet-based population of cluster headache sufferers who connected to a Web site responded to the questionnaire, and e-mailed it back to our site to be analyzed. We analyzed a total of 789 respondents, 76% men and 28% women. RESULTS: Eighty-seven percent of respondents qualified as having cluster headache according to International Headache Society criteria. However, diagnosis was delayed an average of 6.6 years from the onset of symptoms. The average number of physicians seen before the correct diagnosis was made was 4.3, and the average number of incorrect diagnoses was 3.9. Seventy-one percent of respondents had undergone unnecessary magnetic resonance or computed tomography scans, and 4% had unnecessary sinus or deviated septum surgery. We found that many inappropriate medications such as propranolol, amitriptyline, and antibiotics were prescribed and that successful medications for clusters such as sumatriptan and oxygen were often denied due to a failure to understand the nature of this disorder. Seventy-seven percent of respondents were smokers. Seventy-four percent stopped smoking in an attempt to improve their condition; however, only 3% experienced relief. CONCLUSIONS: The most alarming finding was the delay in diagnosing cluster headache in this population--an average of 6.6 years. The selection of medications demonstrated to be successful in the treatment of clusters proved effective for the majority of this population. Many respondents reported being denied some of these effective medications by their physicians or third-party payers. Using International Headache Society criteria for cluster headache, 87% of the respondents should have been correctly diagnosed by the first physician seen.

PMID: 11091291 

Bahra A, Goadsby PJ.

Headache Group, Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London, UK. peterg@ion.ucl.ac.uk

OBJECTIVES: Cluster headache is a stereotyped form of primary headache that while common in terms of neurologic illnesses is much less common as a cause of disabling headache than migraine. MATERIALS AND METHODS: We directly interviewed 230 patients with cluster headache. National support groups contributed 76% and 24% came from the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery Headache Clinic. RESULTS: Seventy-two percent were men and 28% women, giving a male to female (M:F) ratio of 2.5:1. Episodic cluster headache (ECH) was recorded in 79% while 21% had chronic cluster headache (CCH). The mean time to diagnosis has dropped from 22 years in the 1960s to 2.6 years in the 1990s, although the mean number of GPs seen before a diagnosis was made remains at three. CONCLUSIONS: While there has been improvement in the time to diagnosis for cluster headache, a number of physicians will be consulted, and better education is likely to reduce the overall patient suffering.

Publication Types:
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

PMID: 14763953 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 3:32pm

Put that Doctors name and addy here. Hard to find a good doc.
Welcome and check these out
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Narcotics do not work on CH.
all the best
thebbz

IP Logged

zoe
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 6:00pm

I am sorry to say  don't remember his name, this was when I was living in Naples,Florida. If I run across some paper work with his name I will be sure to post it. Yes, there is a name for taking pain pills or narcotics with these headaches....can't remember what's it's called but it will lead to a really bad episode. Hmm...think I might be experiencing the side effects of topamax.....keep saying "can't remember."

Marilyn

IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 10:33am

"Rebounding", perhaps?

Welcome, Marilyn!

Cathi

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 11:04am

Wink I was thinking retarded was the word but that's a good one Cathi.
Rebound or trigger.
thebb

IP Logged

echo
CH.com Alumnus

Chronic and still alive
--- I Win!

Overland Park, KS
Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 11:20am

Welcome to the group Marylin,  sorry you had to search us out, but glad you found us.

Lots of information is at your disposal.

It's great when you find a doctor that understands what CH is about.

"If you love something, let it go.  If it doesn't come back,  hunt it down and kill it". Proud father of a US Marine,  Marine turned COP, Navy Corpsman, and KS Army National Guard. Our  4 sons serve.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!