Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exercise (Read 2305 times)
Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Exercise
Jun 24th, 2008 at 4:37pm

Sorry to start yet another topic.  I have read in different posts that exercise can help during a hit.  Does anyone find that exercise can trigger a hit?  I recently started a 'spinning' class and I love it.  It is very intense and high energy.  I 'm afraid that all that extra blood flow will cause a hit to be more painful.  At the same time though, I don't want to give up the things that I like to do just because I am now in cycle.  I am working really hard at going on with my life even though I continue to be really afraid of hits!  Guess you could say that you all set a good example!

PF Wishes!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Re: Exercise
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 5:10pm

I am triggered by heat, so exertion will trigger my CH. Some people swear by exercise as an abortive, though.

If you've done the class, and didn't get hit during or shortly after, it's probably fine for you to continue.

Me? I'll be over here on the sofa...  Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2008 at 5:10pm by nani »  

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 5:27pm

Thanks Nani!

I just got my first real hit this cycle yesterday.  Had nothing but shadows before and had thought I was in the clear.  Last year I would go on a morning walk and then get hit after.  It got to where I was having so many hits that I couldn't figure out if they were triggered or they just "were".  It also seemed that I would get hit without a morning walk too  .I don't know......  You'd think I would be better at this by now!

Jeannie

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 8:55pm

I've been hit by exercise but usually not till a half hour after I stop.  This is usually in heated yoga classes.  So when I'm in cycle I take different classes instead.  The variety does me some good too.

Don't let the threat of a hit scare you off.  Just be prepared to deal with it.  Have that e-tank in the car next to a can of your favorite energy drink.  If you need it you know where it is.

Just live your life and make what adjustments you have to.  If you haven't been hit as a result of a spinning class, keep taking the class.

-Dennis-
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2008 at 8:58pm by DennisM1045 »  

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 11:56pm

It doesn't happen very often to me. But every once in a while on a hot day at the top of a hard hill when riding my trike, I'll get hit. But it doesn't happen often enough to stop me.

Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:52am

when i was a flooring installer a was usually good until 20 minutes into the ride home.  i would work around dust, jackhammers, armies of drywall hangers with there screw guns, you name it. i didn't start to get hit frequently at work until the last couple weeks of the cycle.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:29am

hi Jean, over the years i have been hit numerous times during high energy activity, but, i agree with dennis, dont let it scare you off. Just be prepared. As far as busting a hit with exercise,, well,, doing "the dance" is enough exercise for me. the simple thought of more sweat, and heat while coping with a hit,,,,,NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       good luck, hope its an easy cycle for ya       Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 8:51am

Jean,

All through my ch years I've exercised regularly and been hit during/right after just once. I prefer walking (a LOT!), yoga, pilates and callanetics, which all are quite gentle and effective at once.

I feel that yoga helps me deal with the beast mentally; when I practise yoga, I can handle the pain better. But, pain-wise, I haven't noticed any difference.

Don't let the devil take over your life; you can tell yourself, if the exercise you do will cause you getting it. In the meantime, enjoy each class! Smiley

Sanna

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:51am

Well, I got brave and took a spinning class last night.  I felt great till  about a half hour later.   I got a tearing eye, a stuffed up nostril, lots of pressure and some pain in my cheek.  That was it though.  It never got worse than that. 

Thanks for your encouragement,

Jeannie

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:46am

Yup, sorry Jeannie. I'm just like Dennis. Put a watch to me about 30 minutes after I run, when in cycle and boom. O2 can usually keep these ones at bay. But, it's not exactly a motivator for exercise. But, don't give up, just get armed with O2 and Red Bull.

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 11:32am

Lancet. 1999 Sep 18;354(9183):1001-2.
Comment in:
Lancet. 2000 Jan 8;355(9198):147.

A new cluster headache precipitant: increased body heat.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Exercise, a hot bath, or elevated environmental temperature provoked cluster headaches, within 1 h, in 75 out of 200 patients. This new observation accords with recognised precipitants--alcohol, histamine, and gyceryl trinitrate--perhaps via generalised vasodilatation or hypothalamic activation.

Publication Types:
Letter

PMID: 10501368 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!