Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dating questions.... (Read 3309 times)
Beth E.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Dating questions....
Jun 26th, 2008 at 5:30pm

Hi everyone! First and foremost thank you for this resource and my heart breaks for anyone who suffers this horrible illness. I have been reading through your site for the past few weeks, lurking a bit, and now feel compelled to post. Bear with me! Im super new to all this.

OK, short version of the story. Im 30, fairly grounded, and really am not a relationship/love kinda gal. In fact, not sure I even believed in 'love' until the beginning of March when I looked into U's eyes and finally GOT IT. I got love...I was in love. I recognized him, without even knowing him. As we quickly fell head over heels I learned of his daily attacks by 'the beast'. I watched him feel and act like many here describe, but had never even heard of cluster headaches, much less have any idea how to react or help....or not help, whatever the case may be. And with such a busy time in my personal life, I was unable to do the research I needed to understand at the time.

About 6 weeks ago he began to get 4-5 headaches a day. He tells me he has not been sleeping. Not been eating. Staying with his parents (who dont know me). That all hell is breaking lose. He is in a leave of absence from work (his lifeline). And, from what I know, which is little, has been in the hospital at least twice for a few days each in this time. Also in that time, he has competely pulled away from me. As he said 'I am lost and unable to communicate.'

I care deeply for this person. I love him deeply. Unfortunately I had not done my homework when the attacks escalated, and I took the lack of contact personally, expecially with my own insecurities in a new relationship, again, something I dont take lightly. Now I am better versed. Through your site (and OUCH) I have learned.....I feel foolish for my self-important and ignorant behavior. I am so horrified at what I have read about clusterheads, and even more that this person I care so much for is in such pain.

I am now trying to determine my next 'move'. I am trying to first really educate myself, with your help, on determining if I really can learn to be a good supporter. I want to learn what I can do, what I cant do, and what I shouldnt do. Every fiber in my being wants to reach out to him. But only if it's with clear eyes, and educated mind, and an open heart.

It slays me that he would have to give up the special connection we have becuase of my ignorance or his vulnerability. My question is this: How does a clusterhead date and get through these initial phases of explination to their 'potentials'? What can I do so early in the relationship to show I care without putting even one little bit of stress on him during this difficult time......Has anyone else ever experienced this where a clusterhead is just incapable of tapping into emotions when they are plagued with multiple attacks a day?

Maybe I cant handle this....but I want to. I do want to try. I want to learn, and I want to allow him the opportunity to have my support...the right way. Not the ignorant way.

Sorry for the long post, and the d r a m a. I just want to make sure Im doing the right thing.....

Thank you all. You are all clearly angels on earth.....I appreciate your time and advice........

B.E.
PS  - no spell check done. Smiley

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: Dating questions....
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 5:48pm

Hi Beth,

Supporters like you are worth their weight in Gold.  You are doing the correct thing in educating yourself about this condition.  Learning about it and what you CAN do is half the battle.

Sit down with him when he is NOT having an attack and ask him..."what can I do to help you?"  if he prefers to be left alone and 90% of us DO...do not take it personally.  We behave pretty badly when we're in ths amount of pain and it's embarrasssing sometimes.

If he is on Oxygen...you can make sure that his tanks are always full, even so far as going to the med. supply place when he's getting low.  

Have more than one cold pack in the freezer for him so when one gets warm, you can swap it out for a cold one.

Stock the refrigerator with energy drinks like
Rock Star"  that has caffeine and Taurine in it.  If he chugs one down at the 1st. hint of a HA...it will help.  Also strong coffee.  Very strong.  The caffeine works to constrict the blood vessels and that is what we need.

If he doesn't have 02 you can persuade him to ask his Dr. for a script for it.

Ask him what preventative meds he is on and learn about them.  Same thing with any abortives.

You'll do fine Beth.  Please keep us updated and ask us any questions you might have.

Linda

« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2008 at 12:20pm by Linda_Howell »  

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 6:04pm

Hi Beth,

Your guy is very lucky to have you!   The advice you got from Linda is right on.  Just letting him know that you are there for him will mean so much.  Having everything he needs during a hit will make it better for him even if he doesn't recognize it at the time.  When all settles down, I'll bet that he remembers all that you did for him.

From you post I got the impression that maybe he is pulling away from you right now while he is having such a hard time.  It might help if you let him know that you understand and that you'll be here if he should need you.   As Linda said, you'll do fine. 

Take Care,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Beth E.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 6:10pm

Thanks Linda. Thank you. No, really, thank you.

Is it common for a sufferer to pull away from loved ones, bc they dont want them to have to go thru it? Do sufferers think they dont deserve good relationships bc of the CH's impacts on 'life'?

It seems to me that his phrases went from "I love you, never forget that" to "I dont want to string you along thru this." From "You will crush me if you leave my life" to "Im not going to drag you through this."

Sad

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 8:21pm

Hi Beth,
Educating yourself is the very BEST thing you can do.  It will help you help him and yourself.  You will understand a lot more and it won't frighten you nearly as much.  Clusters are the horrible but not terminal.

Yes, cluster sufferers will sometimes pull away.  But...as you learn more about them/clusters you'll learn how to communicate better and knowing that you understand will help you both.  Make sure he knows how much you love him and that clusters can't stop that.

Keep talking to us...we're here to help.

Good luck....hang in there...
Jackie

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 12:27pm

Quote:
Is it common for a sufferer to pull away from loved ones, bc they dont want them to have to go thru it? Do sufferers think they dont deserve good relationships bc of the CH's impacts on 'life'?

Yes, it's pretty common.  Not only because of how we behave during an attack...banging our head into a wall, pacing, rocking, screaming, cussing, etc, but just as supporters say they feel guilty for not being able to help more...sufferers feel a LOT of guilt for what they put loved one's through.    
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2008 at 12:54pm by Linda_Howell »  

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Peppermint
CH.com Alumnus

Work it out baby!

New York|USA
Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 12:44pm

Hi there Beth!

Well you are golden... Jackie and Linda have already responded to you so you are definitely on the right track.  Good for you for persisting, after all, this is what one does for someone they love. 

Don't know if you've seen this yet, but I think it might be of some help.. it's a letter to employers, colleagues, but also good for family and friends..
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is the thread where it was posted..
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Good info for you, and good info to educate others..

Pepp

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register FYI- I am NoT a clusterhead!
Love and kindness are never wasted.
IP Logged

Beth E.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 8:06am

Again, thank you everyone. I have emailed him offering my support and love as a more educated and informed person. Should he re-emmerge in my life after this cyle, the info I have learned from this site will be invaluable, and with your permission, will certainly be back for advice if the relationship progresses.

If there is ANY silver lining in this affliction, it is certainly that you (all) take your suffering and teach others...It really matters. It really helps. And I really appreciate it.......

I only wish, and hope, in the future, that U will also join this board and join your awesome support community. Im certain it would help him.

Prayers, peace, and treehugs to you all.

IP Logged

Angie
CH.com Alumnus

Supporter Forever

|Bracebridge|Canada|
Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 8:53am

Hi Beth

I am also a supporter, and as Linda said I look after Barry's oxygen, make sure they are filled and available.

After finding this site I know more on how to cope with this. Keep reading and learning it really makes a difference and remember you are not alone.

All the best to you Beth.

IP Logged

Eva
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Montreal
Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 1:58pm

The fact that my boyfriend withdraws emotionally when he has an attack is also one of the hardest things for me. I am trying not to take it personal. In fact, that is how I know the attack is coming: he looks at me with a blank face, unable to smile. I still find it very hard to deal with. I do hope that you find a way to communicate and get through this.

All the best,

E.

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 8:45pm

wow what a sweet girl you are beth. one of the things i like about truck driving is the fact that i'm by myself and it's not effecting anybody but me. you'll find that alot of us are somewhat reclusive when we're in cycle. i hate the look on my wife's face when i've come down from  a screamer. your boyfriend  knows that you care about him and i would say that he doesn't want you to see the horrible thing that he's going through.

during my last cycle i was getting worried about losing my job and i had to tell my dispatcher about my condition. she actually took the time to research this site and told me that whatever i had to do to get through this would be fine and not to worry about it. i almost cried when she told me that.

back in my early 20s when i was dating, i never tried to explain ch to a prospective mate. lots of times if i told a girl about ch they would relate that to migraines. if you told them how bad they were they would believe me and if i should them it would scare them away.

believe me. the fact that you got on the board with us means allot to him and it sounds to me that you already are a good supporter and we're all glad you are here. be sure to get him registered so we can sink our teethe into him.lol
                                                                      lots of luck

johnny Wink

IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 6:50pm

Beth,

Check your pm's

Charlotte

cash5542  
IP Logged

Beth E.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 7:30pm

Still no word. Sad Of course I fear the worst....

Wish I had been better educated to begin with before this whole snowball. A wise man once said "A real warrior is one who goes through the hardships of learning truthfully." I think I can at least boast that of my initial ignorance. Education with this is paramount.

The same wise man said "The sum of a man is how he uses his personal power, it determines how he lives...." I know that the members of this board can boast THAT. You all have amazing personal power. I am humbled.

I hope I get the opportunity to get to know you all better.....Thank you again, so much.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!