Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to site, New to Cluster Headaches (Read 2055 times)
helen
CH.com Newbie

My brain's broken. =(

Arkansas, USA
New to site, New to Cluster Headaches
Jul 1st, 2008 at 4:36pm

Sunday evening around 5 pm it felt like someone stabbed me in my right cerebral hemisphere with a knife made of fire.  My right eye swelled and teared up and the pain was so excruciating I felt like bashing my head against a wall.  I could barely stand to make it up the stairs to lay down.  When I got there, the pain only worsened.  I sat up and started rocking and moaning and clenching my hair on the right side.  about 30-40 minutes after it all began, it was over.  As soon as it had started, it ended.  There was something of a very dull roar for a few hours, then it happened again around ten.  Then Monday night again at 5 and 10.  Now it's Tuesday afternoon-- 3:35 pm, and I fear the coming hours.

This is the first time this has happened to me, but being the kind to find answers, I immediately googled headaches to figure out that the hell was causing this terrible pain.  I soon came across the wikipedia article for Cluster headaches, then the mayoclinic article, then several more and finally this site. 

It terrifies me to think that this will happen even one more time... I can't imagine the hell it must be to experience it over the span of weeks like most articles say it will. 

I am scared to say the least.

helen

unearthing_sophrosune  
IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Re: New to site, New to Cluster Headaches
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 4:45pm

Hi Helen,

welcome to the board and sorry you have to be here...

It's completely "natural" that you're terrified but the beast won't kill you.

Until you have a diagnosis try energy drinks and lots of strong coffee at the first signs. Ice or hot showers sometimes help as well.
Check the links on the left and read as much as you can. Make sure to take the cluster quiz too.

There shortly will be more experienced users here to help you (compared to others I'm a newbie as well  Wink )

Oliver

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 4:54pm

Hi Helen,

Welcome and so sorry to hear of your pain.  Please get an appointment with a neurologist as soon as you can.   There are medicines that can prevent attacks and also stop them in their tracks.  02 is the number one choice around here for aborting HA though I have not tried it.  I hear it is wonderful though.   As Oliver said, applying ice and drinking an energy drink at the on set of an attack may help till you have been diagnosed and given the proper meds by a dr.

Hang in there...........There are lots of people who are here for you!

PF wishes,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 6:10pm

Sure sounds like you may be joining the club, sorry for that but glad you found us. A good diagnosis is critical as there are hundreds of headache types, meds that help for some are useless and even potentially harmful for others. Additionally there are more "sinister" problems you want to make sure you eliminate before you settle on a CH diagnosis. Take the cluster quiz on the left and start keeping as thorough a diary as you can. The diagnosis will be in the details. When the attack starts, how fast it builds, how high it builds, (use the KIP scale on  the left), how long it stays at peak and how fast it goes away.

Until you can get to a neuro and get a solid diagnosis, avoid alcohol, a major major trigger for many. Energy drinks containing caffeine and taurine, chugged at the first sign of an attack can help. Frozen peas on the affected side will also bring some relief.

Keep asking questions, knowledge is power with this stuff.

Guiseppi
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2008 at 6:10pm by Guiseppi »  

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:43pm

I remember the first time I got hit.  Wow...they were scary times.  There wasn't google back then and I was not real computer literate. It took me 5 years to get a proper diagnosis.  You are certainly doing yourself a big favor in getting diagnosed.  They will probably order and MRI/brain scan to rule out the real bad stuff.  I will add that ice cold showers are really affective for me at times.  Try some energy drinks, push ups, any kind of vigorous exercise.

Most importantly is get to a neurologist right away so you can get some meds.  Ask about prednisone, verapamil, imitrex, and oxygen to start. I emphasize the oxygen. Good luck

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:03am

Please NOT any neurologist! We have had too many of them who don't know enough to be helpful. Find this way:

1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; On-line screen to find a physician.

5. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Look for "Physician Finder" search box.  Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder") which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.

==========
Start educating yourself: buttons on the left of this page, starting with OUCH.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 1:10pm

Sorry bout the hit.
Ch wont kill ya, dont be skeered. Get to the neuro.
Caffeine and 02.
thebb
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!