Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to CH.com (Read 2284 times)
flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
New to CH.com
Jul 2nd, 2008 at 9:40am

My husband is a chronic CH sufferer.  He's been chronic now for almost a year.  He also sufferers from migraines.  He is also clinically depressed and suffers from high blood pressure.  I love my husband with all my heart.  I spend hours upon hours on the internet researching before we go to a doctor's appt. just hoping that I'm going to find something new.  I want my husband back so bad.  It hurts my heart so to watch him suffer.  I feel so helpless to help him.  I just don't know what to do?  I thought about going to counseling, but then I thought about this website.  Where better to talk about this than with other people that understand?  My friends and family don't understand.  I am new to doing this kind of thing so please stick with me I will get the hand of it eventaually.

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

flipperlips 100000247863039 pjtimmer@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Re: New to CH.com
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 12:29pm

Hi sweetie....welcome to the best place to land if you're a sufferer or supporter.  There is a bunch of help here and people who understand.

First off...read and study as much as you can...both here and on the OUCH site (button on the left).  The more you education yourself the more you can help your husband.  Knowledge is power when fighting the beast.

I've been married to a chronic for many years.  Believe me there is life out there even with this CH.  

Let us know more...what meds. is he on...what has be tried in the past...is is using 02....what 'home remedies' help.  The people on this site are smart and know more than many doctors.  They are kind too and will make suggestions and lend support...lots of it.

As to the depression....I'm sorry but it is quite common with CHers.  Just kinda keep and eye on it.

Remember...you can't take away his pain but there is a lot you can do.  Talk to him....ask if there is anything he wants you to do differently...but, ask when he is not getting hit.

Relax a little if you can....a short walk or bubble bath can help you.

Keep in touch...there is always someone here to help 24/7.

Good Luck and a Big Hug
Jackie

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 12:59pm

His meds.  Oh, what a list.  Verapamil daily (he's been taking it since he was 21), Lisinopril (for blood pressure, which is finally under control), all the triptans (Imitrex pills and injections and so on and so forth), Xanax, an anti depressant (I can't remember which one right now), allergy meds, acid refulux meds, nausua meds, poopy meds, I think that's it but it's such a grocery list I just can't remember.  When he's not ruled by the Beast, he and I put his meds into one of those pill organizers divided by days of the week and by am and pm.  That way neither one of us misses something that he needs.  He does use the O2, and it does help, but if the Beast wakes him up from sleeping it's all ready too late.  Speaking of sleep he's on a sleep med too, since the Beast doesn't let him sleep.  I've tried rubbing his neck and shoulders just to try to help him relax.  I've tried rubbing the temple on the left side of his head where he always has his pain.  He's a veteran so we went to the VA and had his septum fixed thinking that might help, it didn't but he's still glad that he did it.  Next week we to back to the VA for him to get a CPAP that he can wear all night.  Hopefully that will get him some relief, I will let you know. 

I feel so blessed to have a website like this one.  I want to thank you for providing sufferers and supporters a place to go when they need someone.  Sometimes I get so frustrated with my hubby laying around all the time I actually get pissed at him.  I don't mean too, it's really the Beast that I'm angry at.  I know that he can't help it, after an attack he's so wiped out that he can't function.  His headaches have gotten so bad that he's been on medical leave from his job since November and it's not looking good for him to ever go back.  If I'm rambling I really apologize.  I just have so much built up inside of me that the flood gates are starting to open.

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 1:01pm

Jackie,

Thanks for you words of encouragment.  I really appreciate them.  I meant to say it in my last post, but I just was typing as things were coming into my mind.

Big Hug right back at ya  Wink

Jen

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 6:39pm

Jen,

Hang in there, sweetie!

I was chronic for 31 years, so it can be done with a decent degree of life. What gave me my life back is what the docs call "the chronics cocktail". Its Verapamil mixed with Lithium, it stopped 85% of the CH from breaking through and most of the rest I killed with 02. The only one I could not kill were the ones that woke me up, but, I would just take a triptan and suck the 02 till it kicked in......they were always short lived  Wink

Ask your doc about "the cocktail".......it just might give you your husband back!

Good luck!

................................Jonny

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 7:55pm

Hi Jen, so glad you found this site!!!! I am new here but I have found that at ANY time, day or night, you can find someone here to help you. if its words of wisdom , or a shoulder to cry on, the people here are heaven sent!!!! I have a STRONG feeling that now that you have found us, things may start to get a bit better for you and your husband. I feel comfortable saying that because EVERY person on here says the same thing, including my wife and I. !!! Good luck and God bless.    Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 5:06am

Jen,

welcome! Smiley

Thank you for being a supporter. I'm a sufferer myself and I know how much what you're doing for your husband is appreciated. But remember to take care of yourself, too. It's good to let all the feelings out.

I hope that you'll find something new which helps your husband right here.

All the best & PF days to your husband,
Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!