Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZMA and CHs (Read 3677 times)
ecp1321
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

ZMA and CHs
Jul 5th, 2008 at 2:31pm

Has anybody here tried ZMA to fight cluster headaches?  It is a dietary supplement with high doses of Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamin B6 that affects sleep and also mildly boosts testosterone levels.  Since cluster headaches are often associated with irregular sleep patterns as well as low levels of magnesium and testosterone, ZMA seems like it would have the potential to help. 

I have taken it as a supplement for weight lifting and, come to think of it, I think it may have affected my cluster headaches...

A while ago I started taking it and during the time I was on it I only had 1-2 headaches per week tops (excluding shadows).  After a few weeks, I went on vacation and didn't bring the bottle of ZMA with me.  While on vacation I had a minimum of one serious cluster headache per day and on a few days had three or four.  It just hit me today that the ZMA and headaches could be related.  I'll go back on it and let everyone know what happens...

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: ZMA and CHs
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 2:45pm

We been waiting for a feller just like you.  Where might we get this miracle supplement? 

Potter

IP Logged

ecp1321
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 3:07pm

You can get it at any place that sells supplements.  I got mine at Vitamin Shoppe but GNC would work too.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There is an article about it.  That website sells it as well for pretty cheap!

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 3:36pm

ecp1321 wrote on Jul 5th, 2008 at 3:07pm:
You can get it at any place that sells supplements.  I got mine at Vitamin Shoppe but GNC would work too.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There is an article about it.  That website sells it as well for pretty cheap!

You wouldn;t have any connection to this miracle drug website would ya?

Potter

IP Logged

ecp1321
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 3:40pm

Oh, you caught me.  I'm trying to get rich 15 dollars at a time by selling a multivitamin to cluster headache sufferers.

But seriously, I just figured I'd let other people know in case it works.  I'm 17, not old enough to associated with a huge company like that.

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 7:01pm

Magnesium has been helpful for some people, I'm not sure about zinc or B6. If it helps you, more power to ya!
Smiley

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 9:24pm

How about that!

Nani,
I know that some forms of melatonin supplements are combined with B6, stating that B6 is essential in the body's natural production of melatonin.

Also, pyridoxal phosphate, one form of B6, is involved in the metabolism of histamine.  I have read that cluster headaches are also know as histamine headaches due to the high levels of histamine during a hit.

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 10:00pm

Thanks for that info, ice.

There is a site, that unfortunately has been down for a bit, that probably has additional helpful info. It belongs to a clusterhead, who has compiled tons of research.

The site is here:  {I only have a link to the kudzu page}

I know that it's being worked on, so it will be up eventually.

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

LostAgain
CH.com Junior

No excuses...

Buffalo Grove, IL USA
Reply #8 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 10:24am

I take a Magnesium/Calcium/Zinc supplement and a multi-vitamin containing B6 and I have never noticed a difference. Thats my experience anyway.

~LOst

LostBoarder36  
IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 10:05pm

Makes sense to me that it would work considering the results I am getting with the Taurine magnesium/calcium regime I am on; I haven’t tried B6 myself but when you read up on the literature it makes sense that anything that promotes the flow of O2 through the body it has to help in some way or another.

Below is a short description of B6 & a link to the complete article.

Vitamin B6 is a water-soluble vitamin that exists in three major chemical forms: pyridoxine, pyridoxal, and pyridoxamine [1,2]. It performs a wide variety of functions in your body and is essential for your good health. For example, vitamin B6 is needed for more than 100 enzymes involved in protein metabolism. It is also essential for red blood cell metabolism. The nervous and immune systems need vitamin B6 to function efficiently, [3-6] and it is also needed for the conversion of tryptophan (an amino acid) to niacin (a vitamin) [1,7].

Hemoglobin within red blood cells carries oxygen to tissues. Your body needs vitamin B6 to make hemoglobin. Vitamin B6 also helps increase the amount of oxygen carried by hemoglobin. A vitamin B6 deficiency can result in a form of anemia [1] that is similar to iron deficiency anemia.

Cheers
Barry

Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!