Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dr Appt Tmw, I need help! (Read 1201 times)
crabattk
CH.com Newbie

3 Weeks Into What Feels
Like Forever

Northern California
Dr Appt Tmw, I need help!
Jul 7th, 2008 at 6:45pm

So I am going into see my doc tmw and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

I am currently take 240mg of verapamil(extended release) and have oxygen.
I have tried melatonin 3mg @nite, also tried bendadryl @nite.
During attacks I have used redbull, but this usually makes me very shaky(and does not always abort HA)

Can anyone direct me as to the best way to get what I need from my doc?

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Re: Dr Appt Tmw, I need help!
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 7:08pm

Most people take 10-12mgs of melatonin at night to get relief.  Also most take much higher doses of verapamil like around 960mg.  Are you getting relief from these medicines?  If not you might want higher doses.  Have you read the oxygen link to the left?  It gives the correct flo rate and how to use the oxygen correctly to get best results.  I would ask for imitrix shots or nasal spray and see if those help you abort any headaches you have that are breaking through unless of course the o2 works perfectly all the time for you.  Good luck.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Dr Appt Tmw, I need help!
Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 9:23pm

Sounds like you have the right tools, we just need to fine tune how you're using them. The dose of verapamil sounds really low, some go over 960 mg a day to get effective relief as a prevent with verapamil. Only change the dosing with the advice and under the direction of your doctor as there are potential side effects at those doses that need to be watched.

With the oxygen the keys are:

Start it at the first sign of an attack. Delays of only a few minutes can substantially reduce its effectiveness.
Use a Non Re Breather mask. Re breathers and nasal canulas are worthless. You must get pure oxygen into your lungs, no outside air and nothing you've exhaled.
A high flow regulator, at least 15LPM. For the same reason, a low flowing regulator usually can't keep up with your breathing.

Talk to your doctor about a daily magnesium supplement. Many find a daily magnesium regimen reduce both the frequency and the intensity of their cycles. He will probably want you to take calcium with it as magnesium leeches the calcium outta you. The dose of melatonin you are taking at bed time is pretty low. Most use 9-12 to start and work with it from there.

Good luck, praying you have an open minded doc!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!