Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need Some Help - Verapamil (Read 2772 times)
blawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Need Some Help - Verapamil
Jul 11th, 2008 at 11:43am

Ok, I've done something and I don't know if it's bad or not and need some guidance.

My CH has been in his current cluster since April 14th, took a plane to Nashville started the cluster earlier than normal, anyway....last week we went on vacation and I'm not sure how it happened but we forgot (yes, I know STUPID) his verapamil.  He had horrible ha's the last two days of our trip, middle of the day attacks that never happened before. We got home Sunday and immediately went for the Verapamil and then on Monday afternoon I gave him another, totally forgot that he had already dosed and gave him another before bed.  Funny thing is that Tuesday he told me his "haze" was gone.  He says he knows as soon as his feet hit the floor in the mornng if he's going to get a HA that day. Well since that double double (240 mg x2) he's completely came out of this haze.  I don't want to use "remission" b/c I'm afraid. 

I'm rambling I know but I'm hopeful that maybe my mistake could have caused this.  Should I call his neuro, will 480 mg of verapamil hurt him.  I'm selfish I know but I want to keep making the mistake so I can have him back.  He looks normal, no circles under his eye, his smile is back - what should i do?

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: Need Some Help - Verapamil
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:03pm

Most of us for whom verapamil works don't get any results until we hit 480mg or higher.

Calling his neuro is up to you, but the script will only last half as long if you double up the consumption.

Also, you said you want to have him back. Here's what happens to me when I take verapamil - I get utterly uninterested in boudoir activity. So even though I may be pain-free, I am anything but back.

IP Logged

blawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:08pm

so you've not had a problem with being on a dose that high? I afraid I'm going to hurt him!

Funny thing about the boudoir, I've read that CH's have a very high level of testosterone (sp?), so it's weird that you have no interest?  Am I being totall insensitive? Please tell me the truth.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:28pm

Oh don't be afraid of "taboo" topics here, sex, bowel movements, we air it all here! Like Brew said, most that get relief from verapamil are at least at 480 mg a day, many go as high as 960. That being said, it's a pretty strong med and it's always best to work with your doctor when adjusting doses!

The high doses of verap will plug you up a bit, definitely wanna increase the fiber. It also tends to drop the old libido to zero, and can render the little guy unable even if you are interested...like giving us headaches wasn't enough now you gotta take THAT away from us!! Wink

And we can't say it enough, thank you for being a supporter, there are times you guys are all that keep us going.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

blawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:36pm

well then.....i guess we'll find out later today, you see he's placed a "booty call" so you know us "supporters" whatever he needs..... Wink

seriously though, i need to thank you guys for welcoming us and for giving me back up when needed.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:35pm

Guiseppi - I'm speechless. Sometimes I think you and I are the same person in two different bodies. You speak and write exactly what I was thinking.

blawrence - Verapamil takes 10-14 days to build up to theraputic levels for CH sufferers, so if he just started (or has been at a low dose), you likely won't see the truly beneficial effects (or the disheartening side effects) for a week or so. What I'm trying to say is that your "booty call" may still be on, so to speak.

IP Logged

blawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:40pm

you know as long as he gets some relief, i'm good. i just want him to have pf days and as many as he can get.  i called his dr to let him know and am hoping he won't flip out.

keep your fingers crossed that these "side effects" don't happen to him b/c that would absolutely kill him  Grin

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:47pm

Sometimes it's just a trade-off, a prioritization, plain and simple. Which do I need more? Relief from intense pain, or an empty prostate?

Edit to add: I meant to tell you, 480mg seems to be my magic number. No relief at any less than that. My doc did try to take me up to 720mg once, and I was getting dizzy and almost falling over. That doesn't mean your DH shouldn't or can't go that high. Everyone's different. I think it has a lot to do with where your unmedicated blood pressure is.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:50pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:53pm

PLEASE! You are dealing with a well trained doctor whose job is to advise and deal with such situations. Call him. You don't have to speak to him directly; leaving a message will, at the very least, give him an opportunity to act, should that be necessary.

We here have the freedom to offer our best guesses without the burden of being responsible.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:54pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

blawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 2:42pm

Talked with the neuro, he says he fine taking 480 and if the rx runs out to call and he'll get us more!! Thanks again to all of you, really you guys are the best, don't care what's wrong in the head  Kiss

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!