Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone else get residual headaches? (Read 6521 times)
Adam D
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Anyone else get residual headaches?
Jul 11th, 2008 at 2:58pm

I just wanted to know if its normal to have what I like to call residual headaches after the cluster headache.  It feels much like the beginning symptoms of a cluster onset but its constant, or just a bad headache that lasts and lasts almost until the next cluster.  This happens sometimes to me which when it does, takes my entire day away.

Does anyone else experience this, and if so, what are some options to ward off the residual bastards?

Adam

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: Anyone else get residual headaches?
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 3:35pm

Rarely, but I do get them from time to time.

Sounds perverted, but I look forward to them. It means the really bad shit is behind me (until the next time, that is).

IP Logged

eichlerian
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

San Francisco Bay Area
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 4:46pm

Yeah, I get these too. Sometimes last for days. I've yet to figure out what gets rid of these. Of you do, let me know!

Marie

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 5:36pm

Yep. 

Feels like you've been bruised on the inside?  I've heard others call it "headache hangover" or "afterburn".  Not pleasant, but do-able.  I suspect it might lay a non-clusterhead out flat, however.

Caffeine helps some, or an OTC antihistamine with a couple of aspirin.

Best,

George
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2008 at 5:40pm by George »  

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 10:12am

Yeah, count me in too.  I call it afterburn.  Sometimes a little time with Oxygen can help.  Keep the coffee flowing too.  It still beats a real attack.

Hang tough brother...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 11:11am

Aleve (Naproxyn sodium) an over the counter med sometimes helps me a lot with the nagging ongoing headaches. Taken occasionally.

If this is a new and continuing issue have it checked out. Its fairly common though for some of us.

MJ

IP Logged

fiveofclubs
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 11:52am

Me too, the "bruised" feeling is exaclty like mine.  Also for several days if I sneeze I get one spike of pain right where the cluster hits. 

Mike&&FiveofClubs

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 12:22pm

The shadow knows. This is what I call the shadow. The demon parked and ready for action.
thebb Wink

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 12:32pm

Yes, I get them. I didn't get them when I still used the steroids but after tapering off them I've had a residual headache (or shadow, as some here call them) most of the time I'm awake. The evenings are a bit easier. And usually they ease off somewhat right after an attack. It kind of feels like someone has been cutting the right side of my head with a very sharp knife over and over again, right where the trigeminal nerve is.

- Rosa
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2008 at 12:34pm by Ungweliante »  

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 12:36pm

For me energy drinks and/or coffee work pretty good.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 4:35pm

Yep that's what I call the Shadows... Usually about a 3 or 4, but enough to let you know it's hanging around.

We were talking about that at convention. Seems we all have a "sensitive" spot (and of course they were all different spots) that are tender to the touch most of the time after a hit.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 6:12pm

I must be nuts.  I love these residuals or shadows because I can function during them and I NEVER take anything for them.  I figure eventually my  abortives will stop working (as trex already has) so I dont want to waste the efficacy on a shadow.  (I dont care is that is logical, it makes sense to me).

The reason I love them is because they aren't a bad headache.

Does this only make sense to me?

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 6:37pm

FramCire wrote on Jul 14th, 2008 at 6:12pm:
I must be nuts.  I love these residuals or shadows because I can function during them and I NEVER take anything for them.  I figure eventually my  abortives will stop working (as trex already has) so I dont want to waste the efficacy on a shadow.  (I dont care is that is logical, it makes sense to me).

The reason I love them is because they aren't a bad headache.

Does this only make sense to me?

See reply #1 above.

IP Logged

fiveofclubs
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 6:43pm

Makes sense to me FramCire, gimme a fight I know I can win everytime.

Mike&&FiveofClubs

IP Logged

Adam D
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 8:43am

I do welcome them (the residuals) instead of the CHs, but there just annoying more than anything.  And for everyday tasks, they are a joke.  Thanks for the replies and information guys.  This forum is the best!

I didn't know that clusters could possibly become immune to medications over time.  Is this true?  If so, that would make sense that Midrin use to work, then it didn't.  Then it was Axert, it stopped, then Imitrex, the same, and so on and so forth.  If the demon can evolve, than that is a whole new aspect that is in desperate need of research.

Adam

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 8:47am

Adam D wrote on Jul 17th, 2008 at 8:43am:
I do welcome them (the residuals) instead of the CHs, but there just annoying more than anything.  And for everyday tasks, they are a joke.  Thanks for the replies and information guys.  This forum is the best!

I didn't know that clusters could possibly become immune to medications over time.  Is this true?  If so, that would make sense that Midrin use to work, then it didn't.  Then it was Axert, it stopped, then Imitrex, the same, and so on and so forth.  If the demon can evolve, than that is a whole new aspect that is in desperate need of research.

Adam    

Hey Adam!  That knife cuts both way too.  What doesn't work this cycle may work again next cycle.  So never rule anything out that use to work just because it doens't work right now.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!