Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Topomax and Depression/mood swings (Read 2104 times)
CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Topomax and Depression/mood swings
Jul 12th, 2008 at 1:15am

Hi all,

I've chatted with a few people about this privately, but wanted to get more opinions. As an episodic, I've found that each time I'm in cycle and ramp up on Topomax, I am SOOO much more likely to become emotional or even cry over something that normally wouldn't bother me at all. I was in Houston this past weekend visiting some friends and learned that one of my friends takes Topomax ( a lower dose than me - 50 mg a day) for migraines. Because of her resulting mood swings, she also takes anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. Has anyone here done the same? I'm wondering if I should consider it, even though I don't like the idea of taking more meds. I'm afraid of how my moods and emotions are affecting my reputation at work. I'm in a management position and I just can not burst into tears in the middle of a meeting!

Background info…
I take Topomax vs. Verapimil because I have hypertension and I'm already on a beta-blocker to lower my BP. My neruo thought Topomax was the best option. It does lessen the intensity of the attacks, so I'm not prepared to give it up at this point.

~Kris

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Re: Topomax and Depression/mood swings
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 2:02am

I think staying off extra meds is always a good option. Especially psych meds, which alter the brain chemistry. If you -really- feel that you need one, you could try a SSRI, but it takes weeks for it to build up in your body so that it works. My sister got her acute anxiety attacks cured with one of those.

There are other choices than topiramate and verapamil. Have you tried sodium valproate? It's also an anti-epileptic and could perhaps work if topiramate works for you. Lithium is also a choice.

At the moment it seems that even though you use topiramate it doesn't make you pain free. How much does it actually help with the attacks?

All the best,
Rosa

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 12:48am

I see a mental health dr reguarly and have been told that topamax acts as a mood stablizer.  It is actually used to help people with mood swings.  Maybe a higher dose would help.  I know that I have taken up to 600mg before for ch not mood swings.  Maybe you should make a mental health apt and discuss it.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 6:58pm

Just a thought............. Are you sure that it is the med that is making you depressed and moody?  I know that when I am in cycle those things come with the territory!  Lack of sleep, pain, feeling alone and desperate are all things that contribute to depression and moodiness. 

Take care,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!