Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TAC, Verapamil, bradycardia (Read 921 times)
Stoic
CH.com Junior

x0|Urbana|USA||0|0|IL,Illinois
TAC, Verapamil, bradycardia
Jul 12th, 2008 at 9:42am

I visited the headache clinic at Barnes in St. Louis recently, then returned to see my geriatrician, and have had six attacks in the last eight days. A bit confused and feeling stuck between a rock and a hard place. Perhaps someone here has some good advice.

These attacks began shortly after last Thanksgiving. Yesterday was quite typical. The trigger is usually some kind of stress, which leads to irritability, nervous discomfort, and then fatigue. I had to lie down for about an hour, barely able to move. By early afternoon, sinus congestion (always on the left side) and slight headache, gradually worsening if I take no medication. This is accompanied by anxiety and depression. Imitrex works well, but it's difficult to maintain an ample supply. Fiorinal helps deaden the pain, and the barbiturate makes me feel much better, but I'm taking at least one and sometimes as many as three with each attack, and I fear dependence.

I saw a local neurologist in January, and he diagnosed cluster headache with some aspects of migraine, prescribing Verapamil (240 mg per day). Similarly, the doctors at Barnes diagnosed TAC (trigeminal autonomic cephalgia), and suggested increasing my Verapamil and using oxygen. But from all I read here, these don't sound like cluster headaches to me -- e.g., they come on gradually, pain is mild to moderate, duration is indefinite, etc.

When I returned from Barnes and spoke to my geriatrician, she resisted increasing my Verapamil because I have low blood pressure and an extremely slow heart rate (45 bpm). In fact I've always had a slow pulse (I'm 65 but was very athletic when I was younger), but never this low. I've tried a couple of times going down to 120 mg of Verapamil, but the attacks seem to come back, so I've returned to 240 mg.

One other possibility concerns serotonin. I began reading about serotonin and suspected that my levels were low. A blood text confirmed a low level (10), and my geriatrician put me on an SSRI (Celexa) which seemed to help. But the doctors at Barnes pointed out that there is no clear relation between blood and brain serotonin levels, and that the decreased frequency and intensity of my attacks could be the result of other factors. They suggested melatonin, more Verapamil, oxygen, and so on.

I'm able to sleep with 1 mg of Lorazepam each night, and I also take Allegra and use Flonase.

With all this conflicting medical advice and various drugs, I'm feeling a bit jerked around.

Sorry to go on so long. I'll be grateful for any advice anyone has.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: TAC, Verapamil, bradycardia
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 12:46pm

With such a complex medical history I would not accept anything you get here except support & sympathy!

Clearly, your primary physician should be working to resolve this contradictory advice you are getting by coordinating with the other docs.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!