Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clusters returned, treatment state of the art now? (Read 1974 times)
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Clusters returned, treatment state of the art now?
Jul 13th, 2008 at 11:56pm

Dear friends,

Was CH free since 2003, then they came back starting on Wed last week.  I have had serious 10s before, these are more like 6-7.  Taking imitrex to treat the daily attacks.  Attacks coming about 2 hours after I go to bed.

What is the state of the art now in terms of treatment?  In the past I would go on predinisone and high doses of verapamil (720) and scale back the verapamil to zero till cycle is over, this would take about a month.  Is there any "new" drugs or treatments out there?  Would like to know before I go see my neurologist.  Thanks!

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Clusters returned, treatment state of the art now?
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 2:38am

State of the art?  The old weapons remain tried and true though oxygen therapy has probably improved terrifically since 2003 thanks to more knowlege about non-re-breather masks.  Check out the O2 button to the left because only good news awaits you.

Many have been having great success with kudzu and/or melatonin and then there's the matter of lithium  (which I thought was used for A-bombs).

Our friends at cluster-busters are going ahead in leaps and bounds and their research is well worth a look and then there's the matter of Red Bull energy drinks.  Slammed down at first hint of a headache, it's giving great relief to many.

Frozen peas remain a great ally but beware the bags of frozen mixed veg. (It's the carrots, ya know.)

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 7:39am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
===========

ALL NEW!! HEADACHE 2008-2009
The new 72 page Headache 2008-2009 is hot off the press! Click here to download the PDF instantly! (free)

If you would like a bound copy, send $12 (includes shipping) to
Robbins Headache Clinic
1535 Lake Cook Rd.
Suite 506
Northbrook, Ill.60062

OR call 847-480-9399 to use Visa or Mastercard.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 9:12am

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 3:48pm

o2 is at 25 lpm is a good abortive if you catch it early and that seems to be the only thing that works for the majority of us. i tried clusterbusting as an alternative treatment and it worked for me.

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 10:36am

O2 is fantastic, can't recommend it highly enough. Topamax has worked wonders for me although the side effects are splendiforously weirdorific. But then, you will at least lose weight. My neurologist's comment when I asked him about Verapamil "that's an old-fashioned drug". (but hey, if it works...)

Interesting, and depressing and so sorry to hear, that you've been out of this terrible game for 5 years and now it's back. Same thing happened to me for 4 years until early May.

May your cycle be short, friend!

David

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!