Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Topamax...Neuro says I take it forever? (Read 3067 times)
EddieC73
CH.com Newbie

x0|Baltimore|USA||0|0|MD,Maryland
Topamax...Neuro says I take it forever?
Jul 14th, 2008 at 10:10pm

My Neuro, who I've been seeing only since my last cycle began 5 weeks ago put me on Topamax.  She has been great with follow up phone calls to see how I am doing, she actually seems to care.  She fought hard with my Insurance company to get me a sufficient amt. of Imitrex injections to get through this cycle (it ended 4 days ago, cut way short of the normal 8 weeks I am used to, I am guessing because of the Topamax).  I am up to 150 mg/day and she says I will need to stay on the med. indefinately.  I am okay with it if it helps keep the beast at bay, I just want to be sure this is normal.  Any comments would be extremely appreciated.  Just a note...THANK ALL OF YOU FOR BEING HERE FOR THE PAST MONTH when I was in full cycle and the beast was getting the best of me and my family.  I didn't have the strength or courage to figure out my login info. from a few years back to get on hear and talk.  I did however read, and reread, hundreds of posts.  It is the ONLY thing that gave me enough hope to keep my sanity and family intact over the last month.  The physical pain?  You already know.  I've taken the "Put up your dukes and fight!" stance against the beast.  Thanks for your time.  PF 4 days. Smiley

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Re: Topamax...Neuro says I take it forever?
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 6:30pm

I wouldn't be able to stay on that stuff but that's me. I would continue as it seems to be working, but after some time I would taper off. Maybe the dopeymax is working maybe your episode has run its course. Hard to tell. PF is good news and keep up the fight. Smiley
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 10:26am

Since using Top for Ch is an "off label" application, there is no "normal" yet established. Unless you ask her reasoning for her recommendation we are all ?????

Personally, I'd like to shift to verapamil for long term use--is it's effective for you. The side effects are insignificant compared to the reports about Top which folks post here. Again, ask.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
========
ALL NEW!! HEADACHE 2008-2009
The new 72 page Headache 2008-2009 is hot off the press! Click here to download the PDF instantly! (free)

If you would like a bound copy, send $12 (includes shipping) to
Robbins Headache Clinic
1535 Lake Cook Rd.
Suite 506
Northbrook, Ill.60062

OR call 847-480-9399 to use Visa or Mastercard.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 11:42am

Eddie, those are excellent resources that Bob J posted. My experience is similar to yours - a recent Topamax user for the first time, with cycles that normally last up to about 2 months (if there's any normal with this stuff).

Initially my neurologist said that once I'd gone a week with no appreciable pain to begin to wean myself off the Tope. I went to see him this past Monday for a follow-up to my first visit a week or so into the cycle back in May, and since the Tope had been doing its job, and it would seem that the cycle is indeed winding down, he gave me a tapering off regimen that will take me down from 100 mg a day to zero over the course of 2 weeks.

In his opinion there's no need to continue the Tope if I'm not in cycle. Naturally we're all different and maybe your doc feels you need to stay on it. Perhaps you have more frequent cycles and it makes sense. But for me anyway - and I might hazard a surmise for anyone with a "normal" (there's that word again...) once or twice a year cyclical CH condition - I'm not sure I'd want to be on this weird (though great) drug with its bizarro world side effects. Unless of course one enjoys being one of the Three Stooges. I think of myself as Larry, personally.

All in all though, so glad to hear that a) the stuff helped you (it certainly did me) and b) you're coming out of a cycle. Oh and of course c) that this board has been of help... ditto the part about it certainly being so for me.

All the best.
David

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 11:53am

i am noexpert but topamax seems to help me a little bit but i am looking into verapamil with my doc. I give it a c+ grade. yes i have been on it for 3 years now.

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 1:39am

My neuro also wanted me to take it all the time.  His reasoning was that it takes 4 weeks or so for it to take full effect, and would therefore be somewhat late to help out. 

FWIW

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!