Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oxygen-friendly doc in Houston? (Read 1659 times)
tyrannosaurus
CH.com Newbie

Thanks to everyone here!

Houston
Oxygen-friendly doc in Houston?
Jul 16th, 2008 at 2:24am

Please feel free to move this post to another category if deemed necessary...

I'm a former member of this forum (in fact, I don't recall my username and password!) , and last year I went into a full remission with the help of HWR seeds.

Well, they're back, and I could really use a hand. At the worst time possible, after putting another optimistic career together again, they've hit me in full force.

Allow me to apologize for not visiting much after the HA's went away.
I've always had a hard time explaining to physicians that I need oxygen, much less explaining the scope and capacity (or "flow") necessary to abort one. I have a hard time with the whole self-salesmanship required to get the help I need, if that makes any sense.

I had some luck last year , and a doc prescribed a tank and regulator that was low output and not sufficient. I gave up and went to HWR seeds that miraculously did the job (not all at once, but after a few spells of HA recurrence).

Now the monster is in full effect, and I am about to lose everything I've worked for. When my HA's are in their prime; I am, simply put, useless.

I would appreciate any help or advice that anyone may have on this board.

I would like to add that I'm currently under Blue Cross/Shield if that has any bearing.

Thanks to all of you.

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Re: Oxygen-friendly doc in Houston?
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 3:19am

glad you are back, read read and read some more on here about O2. i have read on here where others have printed info from here and presented it to their doc. and that helped. Personally, after my doc prescribed the O2 i just called the medical supply company and said ," i need the bigger regulator" and,,, voila,, i got it.  They even sent me a non rebreather mask. Now maybe i am just one lucky SOB, but i really had NO problem in getting what i needed. sometimes we have to educate our docs about this condition, so,,,, educate him or find another. or you could try a welding supply company and pay out of pocket. keep trying and keep reading on here.  you mentioned you are not a good "salesman" with your doc. well, TOUGHEN UP DUDE!!!! he is YOUR doc. tell him , tell him , and tell him again. I am sure you will find the right info you need to get that regulator. good luck and God bless,,,Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 7:52am

I guess I sholdn't complain too much about my doc, he doesn't know much about ch but he doesn't fight me much either. as long as i present him with real medical stuff he will go with me on it. at least he try's

IP Logged

tyrannosaurus
CH.com Newbie

Thanks to everyone here!

Houston
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:23pm

Thanks very much for the advice. I think the right step is to find a new physician.

IP Logged

chewbaccamonkeylunch
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Weatherford, TX
Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 4:55pm

Tyrannosaurus check your pm's

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 6:26pm

As long as your Dr prescribes O2, you can always buy a regulator if the one that comes with it doesn't go high enough. You can usually find one on ebay.

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 6:28pm

there are several Doctors in Houston listed on the OUCH Website

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

You shouldn't be a stranger   Smiley

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!