Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Liquid taurine & caffeine? (Read 3796 times)
mollybo
CH.com Newbie

x0|Tulsa|USA||0|0|OK,Oklahoma
Liquid taurine & caffeine?
Jul 17th, 2008 at 8:35pm

Red Bull really helps me with the shadows I get during the day, but damn, that stuff is expensive.  I have some issues with sugar and can't find cheap sugar-free drinks other than Red Bull easily.

I understand that tablet supplements just take too long to work in the midt of a cluster.  I did some searching and found that taurine is available in liquid form.  Has anyone tried liquid taurine with some caffeine thrown in?

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: Liquid taurine & caffeine?
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 7:16am

You could also take a taurine supplement and have a cup of coffee when needed.

Aldi sells knock-off Red Bull (called Red Thunder) for less than half the price of Red Bull. Comes in sugar free, too.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 9:14am

Hi Molly,

I use the Aldi brand too.  It is much less expensive and as Brew said, it is available in sugar free.

Take care,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

mollybo
CH.com Newbie

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 7:18pm

We have an Aldi nearby.  I'll try their brand before I get into making my own - the price of Red Bull just kills me.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 7:25pm

mollybo wrote on Jul 18th, 2008 at 7:18pm:
We have an Aldi nearby.  I'll try their brand before I get into making my own - the price of Red Bull just kills me.

You get a case (24) of 8 oz. cans for a little over $18.

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 12:04am

I haven’t tried liquid taurine but have been taking pill form taurine with magnesium/calcium since April 06 and am getting some good results but it’s not a quick fix; it takes some time for the effects to kick in, it took 171 days before I got my longest break of 261 days since going chronic.

I wouldn’t think that the liquid would be much different but hey anything is worth a try.

Good luck
Cheers
Barry

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

LadyLuv
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Champaign, IL
Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 12:11am

All Wal-Mart Stores carry "Rip It" (can only be found in their deli department).. it is sugar free (sweeten with splenda), comes in several flavors and and only cost $1 per 16oz can.

They also carry the regular ones, but I like the sugar free.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Ruthie Harper Ruthie Harper  
IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 1:12am

LadyLuv wrote on Jul 21st, 2008 at 12:11am:
All Wal-Mart Stores carry "Rip It" (can only be found in their deli department).. it is sugar free (sweeten with splenda), comes in several flavors and and only cost $1 per 16oz can.

They also carry the regular ones, but I like the sugar free.

Hmmm... Not usually a Wal Mart shopper, but maybe I'll try that. (No "Aldi" is SoCal) I too only buy the sugar free.

Thanks for the tip guys  Wink

~Kris

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

mollybo
CH.com Newbie

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 9:55pm

All of a sudden my local grocery store carries sugar-free Rock Star and Amp.  If I actually follow the servings it's a little cheaper than Red Bull.  I hate WalMart with a passion, but might try the Rip It if I can stand going.

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #9 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 3:56am

Good luck, Molly! I hope it works as well. Smiley

I've tried many different kinds of energy drinks (these days there are lots of them available in Finland) and as long as the amount of caffeine and taurine are high enough, the brand itself didn't matter; the energy drink worked.

My favourite - based on taste - is Red Devil, but the last time I bought Rodeo and R20+, because they are available in bigger packs (12x500ml and 6x1 litre).

PF days to everyone,
Sanna
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2008 at 3:57am by sandie99 »  

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 6:55am

mollybo wrote on Jul 21st, 2008 at 9:55pm:
All of a sudden my local grocery store carries sugar-free Rock Star and Amp.  If I actually follow the servings it's a little cheaper than Red Bull.  I hate WalMart with a passion, but might try the Rip It if I can stand going.

Amp only has something like 40mg of taurine per serving.

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #11 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 8:57am

Quote:
mollybo wrote on Jul 21st, 2008 at 9:55pm:
All of a sudden my local grocery store carries sugar-free Rock Star and Amp.  If I actually follow the servings it's a little cheaper than Red Bull.  I hate WalMart with a passion, but might try the Rip It if I can stand going.

Amp only has something like 40mg of taurine per serving.

Good point Brew.

You want to look for something with at least 1000 mg Taurine. Other than that, it's whatever you prefer.

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 7:42am

I tried Amp when I was in Canada and didn't find it as effective as some of the others on the market.

I've tried the taurine/caffeine tabs and have had the same experience as others have shared - it's not as quick acting as a drink.

I also find it goes down better if it's really cold and flat. I leave the cans open in the fridge (a handy tip I learned here). Makes them easier to chug.

Em

Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!