Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rhodiola? (Read 4519 times)
Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Rhodiola?
Jul 30th, 2008 at 4:05pm

Is there something wrong with my search function?  There were several threads on Rhodiola Rosea on the new message board, and the search function isn't finding them.

Are they gone?  Or do they still exist?

I was looking for any further updates from those experimenting, and I was seeking dosage suggestions.

Thanks!

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: Rhodiola?
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 1:38am

Hi Laurie,

I don't think the search function here works on the archived threads on the old board.  I used the advanced search function on google, limiting it to "rhodiola" in ch.com only, and came up with one hit.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 12:22pm

Laurie,
if you guys are planning to give it a go, let the rest of us know how it goes! Smiley

All the best,
Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 2:57pm

George, I could have sworn that thread was on the new message board!  I must be starting to have "senior moments"  Roll Eyes

OK.  For those of you who remember, Gary is chronic since March 2006.  He gets 6 - 10 attacks a day, range k5 - k8 (usually), they usually last 40 minutes to 3 hours.  Some K9s and 10s in there.  His baseline is a K2/K3.  He's tried all the standard drugs, but not the lithium/verapamil combo.  I think the last neuro we saw didn't take him up high enough on the verap to begin with.  The pred taper provided no pain relief at all.

He tried the DHE drip last June.  It made him VIOLENTLY ill.  He's had problems with IBS and a "bad stomach," but he lost about 35 pounds in six weeks.  He was vomiting 20 - 40 times a day.  It was so bad his teeth started eroding.

He used to use caffeine and O2, but both stopped working.  He tried Kudzu - that seemed to help diminish the number of attacks and intensity of attacks, but it was really hard on his digestive system (as was the caffeine). 

In the fall of 2006, he tried busting with shrooms and RC seeds.  It seemed to work at first.  He actually had a pain free week.  He continued to try busting through February 2007, but it helped less and less after the first trip.

Out of desperation, he turned to narcotics in August 2007.  They bought him some much needed relief.

But (obviously) they're not really working any more and now he's just addicted, and he wants off.  But the rebound attacks are so bad, we decided to get something rolling before he detoxes.

Now that everything's arrived, here's the plan (and it includes stuff to deal with his gastro/IBS problem):

Align Probiotic by P&G

300mg Rhodiola 3x per day - morning, afternoon, evening.  I got TerraCeutics Rhodiola - it is chocolate brown.

TerraCeutics' "MegaMune" - three capsules all at night.  This amount contains:

500mg graviola extract
300mg Humic & Fulvic acid
300mg Rhodiola Rosea
250mg Agaricus extract
250mg Corolus Versicolor extract
100mg ginseng extract (80% ginenosides)
100mg Beta Glucan

Ginger Root - 1.1mg in two capsules, one taken with lunch, one taken with dinner

Solgar's Magnesium-Calcium 2:1, 1 tablets with each meal (3 tablets has 300mg calcium and 600mg magnesium)

A "stress forumula" multi-vitamin, heavy in the Bs, required 2x per day, so once at breakfast and the other with the SleepMedic.

TerraCeutics' SleepMedic, 2 capsules 1 hour before bedtime, which has:

250mg magnesium
150mg Gaba
100mg valerian root
100mg inositol
25mg Passion Flower
25mg Hops
100mg Lemon Balm
100mg L-Theanine
50mg B6
25mg 5HTP
1mg Melatonin

And 2 5mg Melatonin tablets.

We're also both taking 2 oz. of Acai juice with Blueberry and Raspberry in the morning and afternoon.

He's agreed to give it 7 months.

So his total Rhodiola Rosea will be 1.2g
His total Melatonin will be 11mg
His total Magnesium will be 850mg

We've run this by our GP, who's OK with it all.  However, he did refer us to a nutritionist that is an MD, and we're seeing him next week. 

Gary started this regimen 2 days ago.

He's also going to see a therapist for stress management - and hopefully get his PTSD treated as well.

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 5:42pm

I miss Annette.   Cry

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 3:55am

Laurie,
keep us posted how the treatment works for Gary.

Hugs & PF days to Gary,
Sanna

IP Logged

Sophia
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 8:18am

[color=#0000ff][/color]Yes rebound headaches BITE and I have gone thru a 60 day period where my doctor took away all my abortives except oxygen to see what exactly we are dealing with here. I was allowed mild sedatives (Phenergran 3 tablets a day) and a 5mg Valium if I was so bad I wanted to commit suicide. I am still here obviously. The first 10 days to 2 weeks are the hardest. The withdrawl symptoms are really bad. But it cleans out your receptors in your brain so the narcotics work again. I am going to have to do it again because the codiene and morphene I have been taking when I get to a Kip 8 and above is almost daily now. This bout has lasted me about 3 months. I am hoping it stops soon. I wish you all luck with the detox program. It is going to really suck but it will be worth it.
Big bear hugs from Sophia
I gotta laugh... it hurts too much to cry. Cool

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 9:04am

Why not try the lithium? I was in the same boat and ready to end it all when I finally tried the lithium. I started out on 900 mg and weaned down to 450 mg per day.

Lithium is recognized as a treatment for CH now. It’s not just for Bipolar disorder anymore.

There is no silver bullet for CH, so one must find the best tunicate to stop the bleeding.

I still get hit every day at 5-8 PM but I don’t have bouts of every 2 hours for day’s straight anymore. The only bad thing is the 10 pounds I gained this last year.

I went from 4 M tanks and alternating between DHE & Imitrex shots to 1 M tank with no shots in a 1 week period.

Prayers and good vibes for Gary!

Roland.

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 11:06pm

I'd love it if he were willing to try the verap/lithium combo.  But as Jackie pointed out to me in the supporter's forum, all I can do is stock the aresenal, it's up to him to choose the weapons.

So far, don't see any change one way or another.

....and Gary's far beyond codeine and morphine. Sad  He's on dilaudid and the fentanyl patch.  They really provided much needed relief the first few months. 

I'm convinced that when he's really ready to start dealing with this beast again rather than trying to run from it - though he needed the break - he'll start seeing some progress with whatever weapon he choses to fight.

In the meantime, we're alkalizing his body, so when he's ready to try the "standard" meds again they may have a chance to work.

Laurie
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2008 at 11:08pm by Garys_Girl »  

This is enough already
IP Logged

danielpeterson
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Bozeman|USA||0|0|MT,Montana
Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 11:30am

SPEAKING of rhodiola, an "adaptogen" that I heard about here and still carry around in my bag: it did shorten my last onset to a week --the first one (2006) lasted over a month and I tried medical solutions, the second (2007) under a month with alternative doctoring-- but I AM still looking to Mother Nature. An old guy (Marcus Greaves) in Gemmotherapy suggested Rosa Canina (yeah, yeah, those are young shoots of briar rose; don't shoot me) so I take a few drops of that most every day.
BUT I still put currency into my initial intuition that this whole thing has a psychological basis. Don't these multitudes of solutions suggest that each alternative hits upon an individual's spiritual need? I needed to slow down/calm down, get less combative and critical. When one breathes oxygen thru the mouth, doesn't one go into a more meditative state, less tense and demanding? I AM getting more regular sleep, NOT using caffeine and using a ginseng-like substance that is supposed to go after stressful reactions in the body, probably using the hypothalamus......................PEACE and flower power, DANiEL

IP Logged

danielpeterson
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 11:25am

--sorry-- If nobody else wants to continue here I will...for one thing I don't own a computer and just got back to a library...
  First, speaking about triggers, what seemed to make me worse was when the doctors tried to give me fancy forms of acetaminophen (Tylenol) the initial year I got CH. I, being into health foods, had never taken Tylenol in 62 years. But the last time I got a CH bang,  I pulled the rhodiola out of my bag and popped it... actually I took it out of the capsule and chewed it.... and no more CH. I did make an effort to stay calm and DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. The thing I did learn about rhodiola in my researches is that it serves as a stimulant so I didn't take it at bedtime.
  I also did my weird program of talking to my head. Yes, I admitted this before --and straight MD John Sarno recommends this--I actually talk to my head saying, "I love you unconditionally; please love me unconditionally!" I also try to eat something: I was a notorious breakfast skipper in the past. AND I pray. (And I pray that I don't sound to egotistical in all this.)
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2008 at 11:27am by danielpeterson »  

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 1:32pm

danielpeterson wrote on Aug 4th, 2008 at 11:30am:
BUT I still put currency into my initial intuition that this whole thing has a psychological basis. Don't these multitudes of solutions suggest that each alternative hits upon an individual's spiritual need?

Not necessarily.  The fact that there are multiple ways of treating CH suggest to me that it is a complex chemical disturbance. 

I won't rule out some psychology - mood affects cortisol, adrenaline, and other neurotransmitters.  But for me, it is the other way around.  When certain times of the year roll around, my body changes regardless of what psychological or spiritual attitudes I adopt.  I believe that the body to mind effect in CH is generally much stronger than any possible mind to body effect.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

danielpeterson
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:58pm

RHODIOLA to the rescue (for me, at least) again. I had 6 or 8 hits last week and every time I pulled out (even at a seminar around a table) a capsule and chewed it down. And took plenty of clean (fluoride-free) water. Fluoride is supposed to be an old medical suppressant of the thyroid. THAT was a sight better than the hundreds and hundreds of headaches I had in 2006.
I ALSO have been looking into breathing. A woman good at visualizing told me to simply "breathe out the bad and breathe in the good." I even went to a "breath work" class but during a hyper-breathing part the CHs started coming on big time... and I spent all night propped up in bed begging for MERCY...
CONNECTING up to a tank of O2 would seem to be a subtle way of calming down to meditate, too. One of my disturbing fears has been to become a useless, disabled old codger --deadwood-- because of these mysterious CHs. Perhaps I was my own worst enemy, not wanting people to judge me as a mere fl(OH?)accinaucininehilipilification.
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2008 at 6:00pm by danielpeterson »  

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:33pm

danielpeterson wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:58pm:
Perhaps I was my own worst enemy, not wanting people to judge me as a mere flaccinaucininehilipilification.

Flaccinaucininehilipilification?

That must be a floccinaucininehilipilification with ED (?)  Grin

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

danielpeterson
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 6:22pm

That's what I get for using a "fifty cent word!" What next: I couldn't even spell a simple, little word like that. The big book in the sky defines this as an act by a judgemental person deeming something as worthless and trivial and valueless.

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 7:16pm

Garys_Girl wrote on Aug 3rd, 2008 at 11:06pm:
....and Gary's far beyond codeine and morphine. Sad  He's on dilaudid and the fentanyl patch.  They really provided much needed relief the first few months.  

Huh?......That dude is high off the scales....Holy shit! Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #16 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 8:58pm

Oh....that he is Jonny.  That he is. 

Quote:
The withdrawl symptoms are really bad. But it cleans out your receptors in your brain so the narcotics work again. I am going to have to do it again because the codiene and morphene I have been taking when I get to a Kip 8 and above is almost daily now.

Sophia...I know you posted this on Aug. 2nd, but I am just now seeing this.   Good God woman...stop.  Narcotics don't work.  They cause rebound HA's from hell not to mention addiction.

There are better ways...believe me. 

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #17 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 1:02pm

Quote:
Garys_Girl wrote on Aug 3rd, 2008 at 11:06pm:
....and Gary's far beyond codeine and morphine. Sad  He's on dilaudid and the fentanyl patch.  They really provided much needed relief the first few months.  

Huh?......That dude is high off the scales....Holy shit! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Not to mention the supplements.

Potter

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!