Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Depression and counterpoints (Read 1636 times)
Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Depression and counterpoints
Jul 30th, 2008 at 4:52pm

Hey everyone,

Today I had a particularly difficult time in dealing with the CH. After some soul-searching I decided to use an old strategy of mine, used during bad times. I wrote a list of all my thoughts and then wrote counterpoints to them.

I decided to post them because I think some of you might find yourselves from my thoughts, and like everyone of us knows, it's important to not to feel alone with CH. And also because the counterpoints might help some of you during your bad moments.

Kind regards,
Rosa

1.Nobody is interested in my whining.
     Yes they are. And if you're in a really dark place, everybody is really concerned of you.

2.I don't want to be a burden to other people with my pain.
     It's better to be a burden than some other dark options. And other people will listen if you'll just give them a chance. And they will surely listen rather than see you in a closed psych ward or worse.

3.I've always been a strong person. I don't want to change the image other people have of myself.
     You're a strong person now. You can handle cluster headaches! And it takes a very special kind of strength to be able to show weakness.

4.My life is ruined.
     You're still living a good life in many ways. You're not always in pain.

5.My dreams lie in tatters.
     Be patient. You don't have to attain your dreams right now. There are better and worse days. Better and worse times. Do what you can. You know what your pain is and what you need to handle it better than most. Sometimes we are our own worst judges and demand the most of ourselves. You can attain some of the dreams by taking more time. You have the right to use more time.

6.I don't have the strength to go on anymore.
      Rest, take it easy, be patient. There are still ways out of the pain that you haven't tried. You're not in pain always.

7.It's difficult to take pleasure from the good moments.
     Try other things that you might enjoy. Give yourself time and peace. Don't expect too much of yourself. Remember that CH doesn't take away the joys of life in itself, but concentrating on it. Concentrate on the happy things instead when you can.

8.It's easier to be alone than to be a burden to others.
     It might not be easier for others to be without your company. It makes you a strong person that you're able to endure cluster headaches. Strong people are attractive.

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Re: Depression and counterpoints
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 10:57pm

its like you have been reading my mind. didn't realize others thought the same thoughts and almost mirrored them.

Karl

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 11:23pm

Thanks for sharing your strategy!   Your technique is a good tried and true Cognitive Behavioral method -  very useful!
Kelly
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2008 at 11:26pm by mezza »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:08am

Clearly, we are walking the same path.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 3:46am

Rosa,

thank you for sharing that with the rest of us. I'm sure that it will help many and remind during a dark moment that the feelings we feel while dealing with this beast are, in many ways, shared as well.

Wishing you PF time,
Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 11:51pm

Like Kelly, I recognize that as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.  Very helpful. Thanks for the reminder and hang in there. You aren't alone, others do care and you are strong!

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 3:56am

Thanks everyone for you kind words and support.

I've always thought that even though pain is one of the least nicest ways possible for people to find friendship, it's also one of the strongest. We all have a common goal - to get rid of it - and it's damn sure to be very high on the list of things we want.

We all are strong - this is why we all are still around. And we find the strength to smile, laugh and generally go about with our lives, despite being totally disabled by pain several times per day.

Hopefully we'll all be PF soon Smiley

- Rosa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!