Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
triggers (Read 4688 times)
snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
triggers
Jul 31st, 2008 at 4:26pm

okay... convince me I'm paranoid. For a good while I thought I was in remission and my cycle was coming to an end. Then... whammo, here we go again. Whenever this happens I tend to go all fetal and not want to eat anything except fresh vegetables and meat with nothing but a little salt and pepper, and drink nothing but water. I am diabetic and need to lose a little weight, but during ch cycle the weight is not a consideration (of course it all takes a back seat, if I tell the truth). Now tell me I am being paranoid about citrus triggering me, and diet soda, bananas, splenda, cheese, cereal, etc. etc. seasonings etc. etc. Or are they really out to get me? Huh

IP Logged

Jeff_M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: triggers
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 7:19pm

No no...It's not you. You're right "they" are out to get ya. Somewhere around here there is a list of foods to avoid. You damn near named em all. I know aged cheeses is a big no no. Spices might have MSG,another big no no. Man the lis goes on and on. But just so ya know. I go pretty much thru the same with my diet during a cycle. No processed meats at all. Water. and veggies.
HTH

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 10:05pm

Alcohol during high cycle is my only trigger. Food triggers are usually associated with migraine, not CH.

But if you feel better avoiding certain things, do what works for you.

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:39pm

I've been lucky, the only "food" trigger is letting myself get really hungry. Otherwise, with the exception of alcohol which seems to be a very common trigger, I'm okay with foods. Heavy smells are a big time trigger for many.

Now as to your being crazy, well that's entirely possible! Wink And don't be too suprised when the beast starts morphing on you, longer cycles, rogue cycles out of no where, it's one of the most annoying traits of the beast, his ability to constantly change!!! Hang in there. Undecided

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 12:49am

Just to confuse us, and make us crazier than we already are, the beast likes to mess with our minds.  He is VERY good at it, too!

None of us can tell you if those foods are triggers or not.  We all react differently.  Someone like me, has NO food triggers, and few liquid triggers: beer, red wine, and rum.

You are the only one who can find this out, and you can only do it by trial and error.  When you have eliminate everything that you think might be a trigger, then start adding one item at a time, and see if you react to it.  It is the only way I know, to figgure it out.

Good luck!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 2:07am

ClusterChuck wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 12:49am:
Good luck!

Chuck

You're a poet and didn't even know it!!

Okay... I'm tired and easily amused

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 3:06am

Amazing how punch drunk we get in the wee hours!!!! Grin

A very tired ready to go home Guiseppi!

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 10:14am

just as I suspected! It's a commie plot! you're all talking about me, too! I'm not paranoid! Everybody and everything is out to get me!  AAAAGGGHHHH!!!! Wink

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 10:16am

For a couple of interesting articles, go to Dr. Robbins' site, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, use the search function for "triggers". Bottom line: nothing has been identified for CH.

Now, there is a long medical literature on migraine and, becasue I've been dealing with CH for 35-years, I've seen this topic change markedly. For years, messages were were absorbed with the question of triggers but it largely disappeared until recently. In past years, lists of triggers which were posted here were copies from the migraine literature--because that was all that was available at the time.

Just this week, I did a search on PubMed and could not find any current reports on triggers + cluster. It's an issue which appears to have held little/no attention for CH people for some years.

This does not preclude a highly individual response which one may identify but I'm suggesting that, as an issue for the CH population as a whole, there isn't evidence to give us any conern.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2008 at 10:18am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 10:21am

So, just as I have long believed, in my 25 years of ch.... there is no true list or identifiable trigger for ch sufferers. Only what triggers me. Wonderful. Oh well, whatcha gonna do?

IP Logged

Jeff_M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 11:34am

I dont know where I seen it but there is a list a foods to avoid. Now if it was for regular migraines or CH's I cant remember. But I do know for a fact certain cheeses will bring on an attack with me. That and bright sunlight.

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 11:46am

What Bob says is true.  There is NO comprehensive list of food triggers for clusterheads ...  This affliction is way to personal for anything nice and simple like that ...

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 11:49am

snookarosis wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 10:14am:
just as I suspected! It's a commie plot! you're all talking about me, too! I'm not paranoid! Everybody and everything is out to get me!  AAAAGGGHHHH!!!! Wink

Where would you get an idea like that ???

Chuck

(Pssst, I know Snookarosis can't see this .. Let me tell the rest of you what Snookarosis did the other day ... Well it seems ... Oh wait, I think SOMEONE is peeking ... I'll tell you all about it later ...)

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 1:10pm

I think my landlord used microphone paint on my walls too!! AAgghh!!

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 4:02pm

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean you're not being followed.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Jeff_M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 4:08pm

For what it's worth...Scroll to the bottom of the page.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #16 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 4:54pm

gracias amigo Wink

IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #17 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 4:57pm

I think I'll just remain semi-nutritionally celibate 'til this cycle is over. It's not that big a problem for me, but it's hell on the rest of the family, cause they don't like to feel like they are tempting me ya know.  Bothers them more than me Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!