Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1st POST , BC Canada A few questions . (Read 4175 times)
kelly toth
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

BC CANADA
1st POST , BC Canada A few questions .
Aug 5th, 2008 at 4:07pm

Finally somewhere people know what I'm going through. My headaches started about 5 years ago, went to neurologist, diagnosed as CH . First episode lasted about 6 weeks, with about a year and a half lapse, and then same thing another 4-6 weeks of 2 attacks a day. Went another 2 years currently into my 3rd week . First attacks I was prescribed Zomig rapimelt, worked once or twice and then it was a trip to the ER followed by an IV of toridol and something else ? This time I have been put on Verapimil and prednisone, which hasnt done anything. However I have also got my o2 which has been a lifesaver however over the long weekend I ran out and had to make 3 more trips to the ER. It's really frustrating having to put my life on hold, as well as try and explain myself to different people in the ER while I'm hunched over holding my head moaning ! I'm sure you all can relate. I am looking for some other people in Canada who suffer because I have a few questions about the oxygen and the best place to get it . I'm currently paying 30 dollars for one 650l tank and I have 2 in place, I'm refilling every 3 days, unfortuanately I have no extended coverage so it is getting a bit pricey, as well as the mask I have has holes in it which I plug of on my own as much as possible to get full effect of oxygen, I'm currently writing this at work with 3 hrs sleep because of my late night attack and trip to the ER, so if I don't make sense thats why ! Anyways I'm just glad there's a place where we can share ideas and treatments, it's also really sad that I'm made to feel guilty by the nurses at the hospital for actually having to come in  for an actual emergency, they talk to me like I'm having a little headache or something, very frustrating ! Also tried migranal nasal spray at onset, worked 1st time just toning it down from 10 - 7 but after that no avail.
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2008 at 4:08pm by kelly toth »  

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Re: 1st POST , BC Canada A few questions .
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 6:29pm

Hi Kelly and welcome.  There are several people on the board from Canada and I'm sure they will be along to give advice on the 02. 

How long have you been on the prednisone and verap and at what dosages?  It does take some time to build up in the system and can become more effective over time.  Sorry to hear you are in pain right now.  ER's can be very frustrating.........they do not understand the pain.........we do!! 

Hope the beast leaves you soon!!

PF wishes to you
Beth

IP Logged

kelly toth
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

BC CANADA
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 6:45pm

Hi thanks for the reply , I started on the prednisone at 50mg a day for 6 days and I'm currently down to 30mg a day weaning off and 1 verapamil per day Im not sure the mg but it's 1 pill and it's the SR but I've noticed that I take all my pills in the morning and I do not experiencean attack until  1-2 am and then usually anywhere between 5-8 am never after i take the pills ! I wonder if theres any corelation with that , tonight I'm going to try and take closer to bedtime .

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 6:51pm

1 pill of verapamil whether its 180 mg or 240 or whatever may not be enough to get you painfree.  It takes many anwhere from 480 on up for many to get relief.  I take up to 660 mg before my hits stop.  Takes a good week or two to get painfree.  I'd still get shadows but no real HA's of significance on this dose.  For the shadows a couple of strong cups or coffee, or a red bull or an excedrin migraine would kill it-  Never really had to take a trex or zomig after the verap started working

Sounds like you need to revisit your doctor and talk about treatment options.  While in cycle, I visited my neuro every two weeks till we were sure cycle was over and tapering off the meds begun- There are tons of good links on the left which will help you gain info on effective meds and dosages of various prevents

Good luck- hoping you get some painfree time

Kelly

IP Logged

kelly toth
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

BC CANADA
Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 7:14pm

Wow I'm impressed on how supportive you guys are ! I just recently moved back to where I'm living now and unfortunately the health care system and getting a GP here is very hard as none are taking on new patients so anytime I need a DR I have to visit a walk in clinic and havent been able to set up a good relationship with a DR yet. I'm optimistic that the O2 alone will get me through the next little while, as I have never had the episodes last more than 6 weeks at a time (fngers crossed) I'm just getting worn out at work with the lack of sleep and the anticipation of the next attack. I don't know about anybody else but I almost feel like I'm being judged by people as well. It's almost like people think I'm exxagerating it or something. Anyways I'm glad I found this site.

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 8:37pm

Hi Kelly and welcome. Just a friendly hello from another CH sufferer. (And a Canadian)

Barry Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

dougW
CH.com Veteran

pain is inevitable.  
suffering is optional

Canada  'eh.
Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 9:15pm

Kelly:

I use Vital-Aire.  Great service. 
The M-tank runs me about $30 per fill, yep I go through 3 or more a week.

PM me if I can help at all.

Doug Wright
Nanaimo, BC

Out beyond wrong doing and right doing there is a field of luminous consciousness.  I'll meet you there.   (Rumi)
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 7:06am

Hi Kelly. With regards to the o2, I get mine from Oxygen Homecare located about 2km's from my house. I pay $37.00 for the larger "M" tank and $27.00 for each of the smaller portable tanks, one for my work place, and one for my car. o2 is never out of my sight. My wife Angie's insurance covers a good part of it which is a big help.

I have only once gone to the ER due to a CH and will not do that again. I know what you mean by the staff making you feel like one is wasting their time with this "headache" that they have no clue what it is. My attack was over by the time I arrived but the ER doctor said he has CH's and I said "finally, someone at the hospital who understands" until he said "I take Alkaselzer, pop-pop-fizz-fizz and my headache is gone in a couple of minutes" I could not get out of there fast enough. This doc did not have a clue about CH's. He stuck the o2 tubes up my nose and gave me an IV but then asked me twice how my "migrane was doing" Huh

I am out of cycle right now, but when my last cycle started I was put on a Prednisone taper and 360mg Verapamil. The Pred stopped my hits right away but the Verapamil was not enough. I printed off info from the left and asked my neuro for a higher dose of Verapamil (480mg) and would like to try the o2. He agreed with both requests and I could not believe how quick the o2 stopped an oncoming hit, and no CH hangover.

When the beast returns, I plan on not using Prednisone, but just using o2 and Verapamil. We just had a discussion on the med specific board with regards to substained release Verapamil. I will not try it, but stay with what worked for me last time..

Sorry for the long story, but just want to help in any way I can. If we lived closer together, maybe I could help you with the o2. You do have the non-rebreather mask right? I am going to look into getting better masks and if I can get them  I will send you one as they are a better delivery of the o2.

Take care my friend and let me know if there is anything I can do or just a shoulder to lean on I am there.

PFNAD   Barry

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 7:30am

Suggest you print out the first link (Rozen) and use it as a tool to discuss dosing, etc. with your doc.

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

---------
(Dr. Goadsby, mentioned here, is one of our gods!)

SLOW-RELEASE VERAPAMIL

Dr. Sheftell applauded the protocol for verapamil used by Dr. Goadsby and colleagues, which entailed use of short-acting verapamil in increments of 80 mg. “This method was suggested by Lee Kudrow, MD, 20 years ago as an alternative to slow-release verapamil,” Dr. Sheftell noted.

“I would agree with using short-acting verapamil, rather than the sustained-release formulation, in cluster headache,” he said. “I prefer the short-acting formulation with regard to ability to titrate more accurately and safely. My clinical experience anecdotally demonstrates improved responses when patients are switched from sustained-release verapamil to short-acting verapamil.”

Dr. Goadsby agreed that his clinical experience was similar. “There are no well-controlled, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging studies to direct treatment. This is one of those areas where clinicians who treat cluster headache have to combine what modicum of evidence is available with their own clinical experience,” Dr. Sheftell commented.
==============
Headache. 2004 Nov;44(10):1013-8.  

Individualizing treatment with verapamil for cluster headache patients.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Background.-Verapamil is currently the best available prophylactic drug for patients experiencing cluster headaches (CHs). Published papers usually state 240 to 480 mg taken in three divided doses give good results, ranging from 50% to 80%; others mention higher doses-720, even 1200 mg per day. In clinical practice we found we needed to adapt dosage to individual's time of attacks, in particular giving higher doses before going to bed to suppress severe nocturnal episodes. A few only required 120 mg daily. We therefore evolved a scheme for steady and progressive drug increase until satisfactory control had been achieved. Objective.-To find the minimum dose of verapamil required to prevent episodic and chronic cluster headaches by supervising each individual and adjusting the dosage accordingly. Methods.-Consecutive patients with episodic or chronic CH (satisfying International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) were started on verapamil 40 mg in the morning, 80 mg early afternoon, and 80 mg before going to bed. Patients kept a diary of all attacks, recording times of onset, duration, and severity. They were advised, verbally and in writing, to add 40 mg verapamil on alternate days, depending on their attack timing: with nocturnal episodes the first increase was the evening dose and next the afternoon one; when attacks occurred on or soon after waking, we advised setting an alarm clock 2 hours before the usual waking time and then taking the medication. Patients were followed-up at weekly intervals until attacks were controlled. They were also reviewed when a cluster period had ended, and advised to continue on the same dose for a further 2 weeks before starting systematic reduction. Chronic cluster patients were reviewed as often as necessary. Results.-Seventy consecutive patients, 52 with episodic CH during cluster periods and 18 with chronic CH, were all treated with verapamil as above. Complete relief from headaches was obtained in 49 (94%) of 52 with episodic, and 10 (55%) of 18 with chronic CH; the majority needed 200 to 480 mg, but 9 in the episodic, and 3 in the chronic group, needed 520 to 960 mg for control. Ten, 2 in the episodic and 8 in the chronic group, with incomplete relief, required additional therapy-lithium, sumatriptan, or sodium valproate. One patient withdrew because verapamil made her too tired, another developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and the drug was withdrawn. Conclusions.-Providing the dosage for each individual is adequate, preventing CH with verapamil is highly effective, taken three (occasionally with higher doses, four) times a day. In the majority (94%) with episodic CH steady dose increase under supervision, totally suppressed attacks. However in the chronic variety only 55% were completely relieved, 69% men, but only 20% women. In both groups, for those with partial attack suppression, additional prophylactic drugs or acute treatment was necessary. (Headache 2004;44:1013-1018).
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2008 at 7:31am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 10:25am

Welcome to the nut house, glad you found us! You've been given a lot of reading to work on, you'll find knowledge is your best ally. Most of us have found the best results occur when we educate ourselves, and assist our physician in crafting our treatment. Due to the relative rarity of this condition, most doctors don't deal with enough of us to have a solid undertsanding of the numerous treatment options available.

Good call on plugging the holes on your mask, pure 02 to the lungs is absolutely critical in making it an effective treatment. You need to score a "non re breather" mask to replace the junk they gave you! Wink

My only other suggestion is to try melatonin. An over the counter supplement available at health food and vitamin stores. Try 3-6 mg at bed time, and gradually increase the doseage. Many can avoid the nite time hits using this, sound like your getting hit pretty hard in the dark hours.

Read like a mad man and keep asking questions, you're not alone anymore!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 10:32am

Hi Kelly!

A warm welcome to you!  Hope you are pain free soon!

Take care,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

bluesunshine
CH.com Junior

Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 12:57am

hello kelly,

For the early night time hits, I would suggest to do a search about melatonin, it has helped many of us, including me.

Good that the O2 work well for you.  O2 in QC is 20$ for an E tank(650L)-from VitalAir (and a M-tank refill is only 30$ in BC...I should check that).

May I suggest to try zomig nasal spray (ask for a sample from your doc or neuro)or imitrex injectable.  The route of administration makes a big difference.  Zomig RM work well for me.  I found that imitrex inj. or zomig nasal is a "step above" more effective to shut down that bastard. 

By the way, have you seen a neuro (and got a CT scan done).

Verapamil and depakote never did it for me.  I've never tried the prednisone taper since my cycle last for one month.  Remember that there are profilactic drugs to "prevent" the onset of an attack (verapamil depakote, topamax and all that...) and there is abortive (triptan like imitrex and many others, O2) : to ways to control the CH (mmmm...is there a third one I forgot?).

And hang on my friend, when you see that nobody cares about your condition , think we're just beside you ,understanding you; you are not alone.

blue

IP Logged

kelly toth
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

BC CANADA
Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 1:14am

Good to read all the info, I took it upon myself to increase my verapalim fom 120 SR to 240 and instead of taking first thing in the morning, I took before bed because I get the 2AM one every night , guess what ! Nothing last night slept like a baby and nothing today so 2 days attack free (fingers crossed) as I'm heading to bed right now but I have the O2 right beside my bed. Anyways I'll keep all of you posted ! Had a day off today fom work and actually got to enjoy the Okanagan and do some wakeboarding , and went to the gym. Things Ive put on hold because of the anticipation of my attacks !

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #13 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 1:47am

I know I may sound like I am on your doctor's payroll, but you should be careful about upping your meds, without their knowledge.  Maybe just a phone call to his/her office, and get a verbal ok to do so.

Verapamil is a blood pressure lowering medication.  If you do nothing else, go to your local department store, or drug store, and check your blood pressure.  Some people have a problem with verapamil lowering your blood pressure, to a dangerous level.

HOPEFULLY you won't have any problems.  But, CONGRATS on a PF night!  Those are treasured with chronics like me.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 5:48am

first welcome;
I agree with chuck all the way, please check with the Dr before messing around with medication.
glad you found us , please feel free to vent if needed.

I do

Karl

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #15 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 6:44am

Kelly, like Chuck and Karl said, do not increase or stop or change your meds without talking to your doc. I have a blood pressure machine at home to keep track of my BP while taking Verapamil.

See Kelly, we just care about you buddy! Wink So cranked to hear you are having some PF time and hope it continues for you forever!!! Smiley

IP Logged

kelly toth
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

BC CANADA
Reply #16 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 10:59am

Morning All ! Spoke too soon ! Woke up about 2 am slapped the O2 on for about 15 mins, and back to sleep . Way better than carting myself to the ER . As for upping my medication I know it's a bit risky, however I know for a fact that my blood pressure is fine. I've been into weightlifting for about 10 years now and I'm actually in really good physical shape, but still I know I should be checking with the doc, however it seems people in here know more about this. Anyways off to work !

IP Logged

kelly toth
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

BC CANADA
Reply #17 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 12:02pm

Just thought I'd post an update, No attacks all day yesterday, woke up in the middle of the night with the shadow of one, went to the washroom prior to putting my O2 on and to my surprise it actually ceased ! Could be a sign that they are starting to taper off ! It's been about 4 weeks which is usually the time frame. Anyways feeling kind of glum today ! Not sure if it's the prednisone or verapimil or just my own emotional instability ! LOL anyways hope everyone has a PFD !

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #18 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 12:25pm

Hey Kelly, so good to hear you had a PF day yesterday and let's hope your cycle is ending. If not, keep that o2 full and stay on your meds.
If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

Barry Smiley

IP Logged

kelly toth
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

BC CANADA
Reply #19 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 12:31pm

Thanks Barry I appreciate it !

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #20 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 12:34pm

Your welcome. I must get back to work, just home for lunch.
PF wishes buddy! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!