Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Totally Confused about O2 (Read 3513 times)
Brent212
CH.com Newbie

Campbell, CA
Totally Confused about O2
Aug 20th, 2008 at 6:37pm

Hello everyone. My name's Brent and I'm in the San Jose, CA area. I've been getting CHs about once a year since 2000, I think. Each time it's lasted for about 2-4 weeks, with 1 to 2 headaches a day, each lasting somewhere inbetween 1 and 4 hours.

I didn't realize that what I was experiencing were CHs until probably 3 or 4 years ago, and didn't do much research until just recently. I had been fighting CHs with tylenol and excedrin, but now I think those may be actually making the attacks worse, after reading other people's experiences.

So I've determined that O2 might be the best way to abort CHs, but after looking through this site, I'm a little confused. It seems that the basic information for newbies like myself is missing. I've checked all the sticky threads in the forums, and there are a few that seem potentially useful, once I get the basic information down.

The "oxygen info" link, which I assumed would lead to this, instead brings me to a whole other website, filled with all sorts of stuff that might or might not be related to getting an oxygen solution.

I really just want to know what exactly I need to abort my CHs with O2, and what exactly I need to do to get that. After reading a bunch of the recent posts, I think I've figured out that I need a regulator, a mask (the O2PTIMASK seems to fulfill that requirement, right?), and a tank, which I'm guessing I have to get filled somewhere. But then there's all sorts of little details that I'm missing, like are there different tank sizes? Different regulators for different tanks? Different regulators for different masks? Different connections for all this stuff?

What about "oxygen concentrators"? I looked up "oxygen therapy" on wikipedia (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) and it lists three types - liquid, cylinders, and concentrators. I'm guessing, based on the posts I've read, that cylinders are what everyone uses. But before I determined that, I was thinking that concentrators seemed the most convenient. And some sell in the $300-400 range online (although there are much more expensive ones). Would something like this (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) work? Or do these even come close to doing what I need (I know there's a 15 lpm requirement)?

It'd be nice not to have to get my tank refilled. Or do you even do that? Do people just buy whole new tanks, and recycle the old ones or something? All this is info that'd be great to have explained somewhere up front for noobs like myself. The link to lifegas is great, but I don't have a clue what to look for on there. Even if I figure out what products I want from them, do I just call that number and place an order? Do they ship oxygen filled tanks, or just empty ones that I get filled somewhere?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just a little frustrated with my lack of progress in figuring this whole O2 thing out. Yesterday I experienced one of my worst CHs ever and I was hoping to have some sort of decision made by now. Maybe it was just wishful thinking, but I thought I might even be able to pick up whatever I need at a medical supply store on the way home from work.

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Re: Totally Confused about O2
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 6:59pm

Hi Brent & welcome

Below is a piece I picked from somewhere? & at the foot of my post you will see a link to Mushy's the info there is about getting o2 in Oz but will give you an idea of what your looking at.
Cheers
Barry

Oxygen Therapy Q&As

The following questions and answers were extracted from briefings on Oxygen Therapy developed by Michael Berger and Pete Batcheller and presented to neurologists and other medical professionals treating cluster headache sufferers.

The following is provided for information purposes only.

Do not attempt any of the following treatments without direct supervision of your physician or neurologist.

What causes cluster headache attacks?

Medical science has yet to identify the cause of cluster headaches or the triggering mechanism that starts each attack and keeps it going. Neurologists and researchers have found that the hypothalamus plays a role and that some kind of vasoactive triggering mechanism causes the arteries and capillaries in and around the trigeminal nerve to dilate. Why the pain of a cluster headache attack happens mostly on one side of the head and not both remains a mystery. Some researchers theorize the initial pain of a cluster headache attack may come from sensory nerves lining the arteries and capillaries nearest the trigeminal nerve and somehow spread to the branch of the trigeminal nerve signaling severe pain in the areas around and above the eye, sinuses, and jaw.

The three treatment strategies for both episodic and chronic sufferers include medications that act as preventatives, abortives, and a transition strategy of medications used for short periods of time while waiting for the preventatives to start working. As cluster headache sufferers are all wired differently, no single medication or combination of medications produces consistent results. When the efficacy of the preventative and abortive medications are unable to bring relief after several combinations have been tried, the chronic cluster headache sufferer is considered intractable.

Why use oxygen therapy as an abortive for cluster headache attacks?

A combination of oxygen therapy and imitrex is the most commonly prescribed abortive strategy. Of these two treatments, oxygen has proven to be the safest, most cost effective, and least invasive abortive treatment for most people suffering from cluster headache attacks. Moreover, the side effects associated with oxygen therapy are low to non-existent when compared to other prescribed cluster headache medications in use today.

What flow rates are used during oxygen therapy for cluster headaches?

Most doctors and neurologist currently prescribe medical oxygen at a rate of 7 to 10 liters per minute. However, a growing number of neurologists familiar with study results published by Dr. Todd Rozen, MD, in 2004, have started to prescribe oxygen therapy at 12 to 15 liters per minute. Dr. Rozen is a leading neurologist who specializes in cluster headaches at the Michigan Headache & Neurology Institute (MHNI) in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He found that some cluster headache suffers that did not respond to oxygen therapy at 12 liters per minute were able to abort or shorten the length of their cluster headache attack by breathing 100% oxygen at a flow rate 15 liters per minute. He further concluded that even with intractable cluster headache sufferers, neurologists should try a treatment strategy that includes oxygen therapy at a flow rate of 15 liters per minute prior to trying more invasive treatments.

How does oxygen therapy work as a cluster headache abortive?

Oxygen therapy works as a cluster headache abortive because it elevates the amount of oxygen absorbed by hemoglobin in the red blood cells above normal levels as they pass through the lungs. The term used in respiratory physiology for this temporary condition is called hyperoxia, and hyperoxia has been know for many years to act as a vasoconstrictor. Like imitrex, hyperoxia causes the muscles lining the arteries and capillaries to constrict reducing the diameter of these blood vessels. The level of constriction is more pronounced in the cerebrovascular system than elsewhere in the body.

As cluster headache pain is associated with cerebrovascular dilation in and around the trigeminal nerve, any vasoactive agent that constricts these blood vessels back to a normal or smaller diameter appears to be part of the mechanism that aborts the pain of a cluster headache attack. Preliminary studies have shown that the higher the oxygen therapy oxygen flow rate, the lower the time required to abort the pain of a cluster headache attack. These same studies have also clearly demonstrated that the higher the level of pain during a cluster headache attack; the longer it takes to abort the attack with oxygen therapy. For example, a cluster headache at Kip-6 may take as little as 6 to 10 minutes to abort using an oxygen flow rate of 15 liters per minute, but an attack at Kip-8 or Kip-9 could take 30 minutes or much longer at the same oxygen flow rate.

What is hyperventilation?

Hyperventilation is a physiology term describing the process of ventilating the lungs at higher than normal respiration rates. Simply put, breathing much faster than normal.

What is the normal respiration rate?

At rest, the normal adult respiration rate is 15 to 18 inhale-exhale cycles per minute. With a tidal volume of a half-liter, that works out to a flow rate of 7 to 9 liters of air per minute moving in and out of the lungs. During hyperventilation, the respiration rate is much higher than normal and so is the tidal volume.

At what respiration rate does hyperventilation start?

Although the onset of hyperventilation varies due to body size, age, and other factors such as smoking, a flow rate of 24 liters per minute is a good low average for people to start feeling the effects of hyperventilation. This works out to a hyperventilation rate of 24 inhale and exhale cycles per minute with an average tidal flow of one liter.

What happens to our body when we hyperventilate?

The primary effect of hyperventilation is expelling or casting off CO2 faster than the body produces it. Most of us are familiar with the symptoms of hyperventilation including dizziness, a tingling of the lips and extremities, and possible visual disturbances. All these symptoms clear rapidly in less than a minute when you stop hyperventilating. Hyperventilation drives the body into a voluntary condition called respiratory alkalosis. As hyperventilation reduces CO2 in the bloodstream and as CO2 dissolved in the blood becomes a weak acid, lowering the CO2 shifts the pH upward from slightly acidic to slightly alkaline. Another name for this condition is called hypocapnia meaning lower than normal levels of CO2 in bloodstream. Hypocapnia is also a vasoconstrictor.

What happens when we hyperventilate on 100% oxygen?

Three important things happen that are particularly beneficial for cluster headache sufferers when they hyperventilate on 100% oxygen. (1) The oxygen levels in the arterial bloodstream rises to 100% saturation (hyperoxoia). (2) The CO2 level in the bloodstream falls (hypocapnia). Remember, both hyperoxia and hypocapnia are vasoconstrictors. And (3), an elevated pH increases hemoglobin’s affinity for oxygen enabling each blood cell to carry more oxygen to the brain than possible at a flow rate of just 15 liters per minute.

The resulting combination of hyperoxia, hypocapnia, and an elevated pH above 7.4 that superoxygenates arterial blood flowing to the brain all serve to constrict the arteries and capillaries in and around the trigeminal nerve aborting the pain of a cluster headache attack much faster than the traditional oxygen flow rates that do not support hyperventilation. It’s important to know that even with cerebrovascular constriction and a slightly reduced arterial blood flow, several studies have shown the oxygen content in brain tissues is actually higher under these conditions.

How much is enough when hyperventilating on 100% oxygen?

The simple answer is we don’t know. The results of preliminary studies are largely anecdotal due to a limited sample size, but they are very promising with no adverse effects. We expect the answer to this question and many others in 2008. A larger clinical study of this therapy is in the final planning stages with a more than sufficient number of study participants planned.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:02pm

first if your in the U.S. your making it way to hard on yourself.
get a dr prescription for 15 lpm for 15-20 minutes and a non-rebreather mask. this will give 100% oxygen.
then get a good energy drink with 1000mg taurine. drink it in a short amount of time say 15 minutes or less.
the excredrine,tylenol and aspirins etc can very likely give you rebound headaches, me I stay way away from them and narcotics.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:10pm

Brent,

I can understand your confusion up to a point, but let me assure you that oxygen therapy is very real, very effective, far less invasive and far more cost effective than other abortives. 

There are several posts about oxygen therapy for newbies...

Please start with a protected post by Cluster Chuck titled "Help in getting OXYGEN prescribed" in Medications,  Treatments,  Therapies.  It can be found at the following link:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
and
Tips for CH suffereres at: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Over on the Cluster Headache Help and Support › Cluster Headache Specific board, you'll find more at the following link:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There's another link on the OUCH site that will give you a Supplemental Guide to Using O2 at the following link:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If that is not enough, please shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you even more information.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Brent212
CH.com Newbie

Campbell, CA
Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:20pm

Thanks for the input guys, but you're still going over my head. I feel like I'm speaking a completely different language. I have absolutely no experience with any of this stuff, so when I read from Barry's link for example,

"you can hire for a monthly fee a regulator & flow meter that fits the small C size bottle",

all I can think is "What's a regulator? What's a flow meter? What's a small C size bottle? What are the different sizes available? Is small C what I want? Is the bottle referred to here the same thing as a cylinder? Is a cylinder another word for 'gas tank'?"

I've got very little experience even going to the doctor, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with a prescription for 15 lpm for 15-20 minutes and a non-rebreather mask. Is that all in the prescription, or does the doc write my a prescription for "15 lpm for 15-20 minutes", and I get a non-rebreather mask separately? Also, do I just take that prescription to my local Rite-Aid (pharmacy) like I do with any other prescription? And I was under the impression I'd need more than just a mask... like a regulator, flow meter, bottle, etc...

Regarding the energy drink -- I thought caffeine was bad for CHs. I feel like coffee might trigger mine, so I stopped drinking it while I'm getting them. Also, when do you recommend drinking it? When I feel a CH coming on? After I've used O2 to abort one? Once a day to prevent a CH from starting?

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:31pm

Brent212 wrote on Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:20pm:
I've got very little experience even going to the doctor, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with a prescription for 15 lpm for 15-20 minutes and a non-rebreather mask. Is that all in the prescription, or does the doc write my a prescription for "15 lpm for 15-20 minutes", and I get a non-rebreather mask separately? Also, do I just take that prescription to my local Rite-Aid (pharmacy) like I do with any other prescription? And I was under the impression I'd need more than just a mask... like a regulator, flow meter, bottle, etc...

You are not playing with a full deck are you?  Wink

The doc writes the script for EVERYTHING, you take it to an 02 supplier and they give you EVERYTHING you need!

There you have it!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:36pm

Brent,

Barry cited one of my better but long-winded posts on oxygen therapy.  The links I provided have lots of photos to give your lips a rest...  Please give them a read... 

The invite for a PM or phone call still stands...

Take care.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:36pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:53pm

Quote:
Brent212 wrote on Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:20pm:

You are not playing with a full deck are you?  Wink

The doc writes the script for EVERYTHING, you take it to an 02 supplier and they give you EVERYTHING you need!

There you have it!  Cheesy

The best way to find an O2 supplier to work with by working with your insurance company.

The best single source for all things O2 is the supplemental guide to aborting CH with Oxygen on the OUCH-US web site here:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This link goes to a page with loads of other O2 info.  Just click on the supplemental guide link and read.  It should clear a lot of this up for you.

Good luck...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Brent212
CH.com Newbie

Campbell, CA
Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:57pm

Batch wrote on Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:10pm:
I can understand your confusion up to a point, but let me assure you that oxygen therapy is very real, very effective, far less invasive and far more cost effective than other abortives.

Oh, I'm not remotely skeptical of the effectiveness of O2. I don't think I've said anything that could be interpretted that way, but just to clarify -- I'm asking these questions because I think O2 can help abort my CHs.

There are several posts about oxygen therapy for newbies...

Those first three were actually the ones I referred to reading in my first post, and I agree that they have plenty of good information. They just seem to assume that the reader has a basic set of knowledge that I don't think is common to the average joe. I didn't even know there was such a place as an "O2 supplier" before this.

The last link that you gave was much more along the lines of what I was looking for. Very helpful.

Quote:
You are not playing with a full deck are you?  Wink

No, apparently I'm not.

Quote:

So am I supposed to make a doctor's appointment, go to the doctor, and get the O2 everytime I start my 2-4 week CH attack, or does one script set me up with O2 for life? I'm guessing the later (although I know "for life" is a stretch... that was a joke).

So no one know anything about concentrators?

No recommendations for the O2PTIMASK? I thought that was a big new thing.

No one else thinks it's a little ridiculous that you need a prescription to get oxygen?

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 8:10pm

No one else thinks it's a little ridiculous that you need a prescription to get oxygen?

You dont, unless you want to pay for it. Most insurance pays for it.

If you want to pay for it you just buy a regulator off ebay, buy your own mask and hit a welding supply joint to rent a tank.

There you have it!  Wink

Edit to add: Dont tell the welding joint you will be breathing it! Wink

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2008 at 8:17pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 9:12pm

Brent,

Could be we've been aiming a bit high for you so I'll take it by the numbers...

1. See your PCP or neurologist and ask for a prescription for oxygen therapy as an abortive for your cluster headaches.  The Rx should read as close as possible to the following:

"Oxygen therapy at 12 to 15 liters/minute with a non-rebreather oxygen mask AS NEEDED for cluster headache attacks."

2.  This Rx should result in a home care provider delivering you a disposable non-rebreather mask, an oxygen regulator capable of variable flow rates from 0 to 15 liters/minute, and 3 or more E-size oxygen cylinders.

3.  If you find the disposable non-rebreather mask as flimsy as the rest of us, go for the O2PTIMASK™ system.  I posted info about that mask at the following link and gave it a "bump" so it should be near the top of the list on the Cluster Headache Help and Support › Medications,  Treatments,  Therapies  board: 

Again, there are lots of photos so your lips don' get too tiered.  I know...  I'm an old fighter pilot.

If you need more than this for a starter, please shoot me a PM with your email address and phone number...  These old fingers are getting tired...

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2008 at 9:33pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Brent212
CH.com Newbie

Campbell, CA
Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 9:28pm

Got it. Thanks for the replies. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #12 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 9:48pm

Brent212 wrote on Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:57pm:
[quote author=7A594C5B50380 link=1219271863/0#3 date=1219273808]
So am I supposed to make a doctor's appointment, go to the doctor, and get the O2 everytime I start my 2-4 week CH attack, or does one script set me up with O2 for life? I'm guessing the later (although I know "for life" is a stretch... that was a joke).

So no one know anything about concentrators?

No recommendations for the O2PTIMASK? I thought that was a big new thing.

Hi Brent,

OK, here's how an O2 script works for me. I go to the doc (best, an open minded neuro with some experience with CH). She ( in my case) writes a script for O2 and non-rebreather mask) BTW, I just ordered  an O2ptimask. Looks like the clustermask that I am currently using but cannot obtain anymore-experience will tell. I take script to the O2 supplier (check the yellow pages or internet pages for your locale). I use Lincare. Most will have experience with clusterheads and should be able to help with questions and concerns. If they are clueless, FIND ANOTHER!

They will ask if you want insurance billed. If you got it, tell 'em ABSOLUTELY. Sometimes the momos at the insurance co will deny coverage or make it difficult. THAT'S another subject we can help you on if it happens.

I use e-tanks. They're about 3 ft tall and you can get a two wheeled cart to haul it around. Mine goes with me EVERYWHERE. I won't go into any more detail because it is well presented in the links you have been given.

The script lasts for 1 calendar yr. Mostly due to insurance requirements. Yes it requires a yearly visit to the doc-SMALL price in my opinion. OR, maybe doc will fax an approval to the O2 shop without a visit if you have a history and chart at that practice.

FORGET the concentrator. Works for some, but start with the tanks.

AND, you're killin' me here. Batch has graciously offered (several times)to communicate directly with you. FER GAWDS SAKE-DO IT! What I know compared to what he knows is a flea to an elephant. Please take advantage of this priceless opportunity...

Regards,

Jon

Edited to ad that your multiple quotes of various posts is a skill I am clueless on.

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2008 at 9:57pm by jon019 »  

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 10:25pm

Hey Brent, I'm coming in a little late on this.  Wink I'm with you in that I found all the 02 stuff very confusing at first! Not having any experience in the welding trades, (*jonny's profession) or in the medical field, the terms, variable flow regulators, re breather vs. non re breather vs, nasal canulas! It's a boat load to digest! For me it was well worth the battle, it's been my silver bullet when it comes to stopping an attack in its tracks.

Don't hesitate to call Batch, he means it when it comes to offering help, is our resident guru on oxygen, and a hell of a nice guy! Welcome to the board.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #14 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 9:03am

Brent,

Ok, here goes. You go to your doc... get a script for O2 - read what Batch said and make sure the script reads like he said....

Then find a "medical gas" supplier (try the yellow pages or ask your doc for a referral - ask his nurse - he probably doesn't know or your pharmacist should know one). Take your script to them (I usually have the doc fax it if I change suppliers)

I live in the country so they DELIVER or you can go by and pick up your O2.  The E tanks are the "little" ones that you can carry around in your car or prop against the wall or whatever - most of us use them - you'll need several of these (docs usually order two or three - depending on your hits - these have to be refilled when they run out).

The regulator just regulates the flow of O2 -it's a little gadget that fits on the tank (I can change it from one tank to another so it's not a problem - the O2 people will show you how and if I can do it - ANYONE can!). The MASK is important -- Batch will explain that one to you.

sorry for the confusion -- Some of us have been using O2 for so long we just take it for granted that everyone knows all about it. We just don't think about it being confusing.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

writer
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Washington, D.C.|USA||0|0|
Reply #15 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 9:52pm

Brent--Don't be afraid of coffee--most on this board agree it's a huge help in time of clusters.  If you drink endless hot cups for comfort and a degree of pain relief in the middle of the night, you're almost guaranteed to go back to sleep (exhausted) when the headache ends.
It seems that the caffeine only causes insomnia in non-cluster times, and then not always.  

I'm glad you have persevered, getting the oxygen info.  You're not the only one posting who has found it all confusing.

Much luck--Barbara

IP Logged

Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Reply #16 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 10:39pm

Barry_T_Coles sent me over to this thread for info on O2 as well. I got diagnosed a couple of months ago and I emailed my neurologist this morning asking for O2. He emailed me back and prescribed it however with only a 7 LPM. I'm sensing that you can either rent or buy your own equipment in order to up your flow? Well I guess if you wanted to up ypour flow I guess you'd have to own your equipment right?
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2008 at 10:59pm by Howard L »  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #17 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 11:23pm

You can buy regulators off e-bay with a higher flow rate. I'd ask the doc if he's open to prescribing a higher one first, and if he isn't willing, grab one off the net! Try the 7LPM, some can achieve success at that level, the higher flow rates just seem to work faster and more often.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #18 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 2:41pm

Brent212 wrote on Aug 20th, 2008 at 6:37pm:
It seems that the basic information for newbies like myself is missing. I've checked all the sticky threads in the forums, and there are a few that seem potentially useful, once I get the basic information down.

Hi, Brent!

Sorry I am so late in getting to this thread.  (So I am old, senile and slow!!)  The point you bring up is a very valid one.  I have tried to solve that for you and all the other newbies that don't understand our terminology.

I will not repost it here, but go to the Medications and Treatments area and read the post titled OXYGEN TERMS EXPLAINED.  I put it there, as I wanted a separate thread that can be added to, and easily found.

I hope it helps.  Feel free to ask any other questions that have not been explained yet.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!