Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone heard of this or tried it? (Read 1908 times)
worst pain ever
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Has anyone heard of this or tried it?
Aug 21st, 2008 at 7:24am

Hello
I was wondering if anyone has tried alprazolam(xanax) to try and get some sleep. I was burnt out after not having slept for about 15 days straight waking every night with the CH. A family friend was visiting and gave me one 1mg tablet of alprazolam to try and help me sleep and lo and behold it worked great I slept for almost 11 hours straight without any CH pain(I get them almost every night like clockwork). I know that taking unprescribed meds is dangerous and stupid but at that point I was willing to try anything. Of course I had 4 attacks of CH the next day but not until much later in the day than usual. I haven't tried this again because I do not like to take meds of any kind especially ones like this that knock you out so completely and have such a high risk of addiction.
PF days to all
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2008 at 7:25am by worst pain ever »  

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Re: Has anyone heard of this or tried it?
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 7:44am

I've tried 1.5mg of my ativan to try and sleep. It didn't knock me out (that's on top of my 1mg daily theraputic dose.) but I've been considering asking them to prescribe something like this since the melatonin made me feel so bad...

You may want to try Melatonin supplements.

I just remembered, I should try brewing some catnip tea the next time I need to sleep. Tastes yummy and knocks you out.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 8:17am

Pixie-elf wrote on Aug 21st, 2008 at 7:44am:
I just remembered, I should try brewing some catnip tea the next time I need to sleep. Tastes yummy and knocks you out.

But you end up obsessively licking yourself and coughing up hairballs.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 10:14am

But you end up obsessively licking yourself and coughing up hairballs

Umm...THAS messed up..... Tongue

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 12:21pm

The stress and anxiety are triggers. The xanax works on these triggers. It also makes you drowsy and fatigue is also a trigger. It is a vicious cycle with a very addictive result. I would rather be addicted to xanax than do battle with the demon. Both suck. Lesser of two evils is always a tough choice. Don't fool yourself xanax only treats symptoms. Better to treat the cluster itself.
Any port in a storm.
thebb

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 12:29pm

I take XANAX . 3-5 1mg a day. Nope it doesn't help CH (Not for me anyways).

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 12:56pm

I have taken xanax, ativan, klonopin, etc all for anxiety/panic attack issues.  It does nothing for the ch.  I am glad to hear you got some much needed sleep.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 3:04pm

That's a low dose for occasional use to help you sleep. Just monitor yourself for any hangover in the morning: no likely but until you know how it affects you....

But  NOT a substitute for the main med to deal with the CH.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 8:38am

Quote:
Pixie-elf wrote on Aug 21st, 2008 at 7:44am:

But you end up obsessively licking yourself and coughing up hairballs.

Nah, that's only when you eat it dry!

not that I'd know anything about that.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Vomact
CH.com Newbie

Leap and the net will
appear

Hampstead, NH USA
Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 9:48am

I have taken\tried Klonopin, Ativan, Xanax and Valium for anxiety and depression as well as Restoril to aid sleep during my bouts.
They don't really work on Cluster IMHO.  They DO help with the associated anxiety.

Be Warned!  Benzodiazepines are ALL dangerous.

Klonopin is (IMHO) the best for anxiety, as it is a long half-life benzo.
It WILL make you sleep if you take enough (any benzo will), however it is a "double benzo" and is ferociously addictive along with Xanax and Ativan. They are long-half life benzo's too.

It took me eight (8) months to taper off of Klonopin when I decided to stop and I still went through withdrawals.  It is no fun trying to stop if you become dependent on it.  You can become dependent to any of the benzo's in about 2 months.  Actual time depends on dosage and the individuals metabolism.

Xanax and Ativan never did work for me. They made me feel weird and did not really eliminate my anxiety. You may feel differently.
It depends on the individual.

Restoril is an intermediate benzo and prescribe almost solely for sleep. It is a nasty benzo too. It was used by both the KGB and CIA as a 'truth serum'  and both used it for mind control experiments in the 50's and 60's. You have to make sure that you don't take it for more than 7 days in a row or you will have a problem.  You won't be able to get to sleep at all when you stop taking it.  Believe me I know from experience.

IMHO Valium is the best. It is a good anxiolytic, it is a short-half life benzo and it has antispasmodic effects that seem to help me during a really bad attack.  

In fact, it is generally in most of the IV cocktails they give you in the ER when the beast comes calling and drives you there.

Please See: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register before you begin taking them.

Talk to your Dr. about them and understand the dangers.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Vomact

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!