Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
just a question (Read 2921 times)
BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
just a question
Aug 24th, 2008 at 4:44pm

Ok I know no`one likes talking about death but i was wondering if anyone knows if there is away to donate cirtain organs to medical reserch after you die i have been thinking about this alot we all suffer from this terrably painful illness and i would like to donate my brain and any other parts of my body that may help doctors understand this illness and mabey stop the suffering of the next genaration is this possable is it worth it would anyone put the time and money in to reserch this. i just would like to think my suffering could have a good outcome and not just pain for no reason.

I know im only young and i hope i live for a long time but anything can happen at any time.

PF Wishes to all.&&We all live with this crap But it is not who we are dont let it control you!!!.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: just a question
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 5:12pm

I'm not certain how it is done in the UK Brian...but in the US...you can let it be known that you wish to donate heart, corneas kidney, etc.  at the DMV when you get your drivers license.  They give you a card that you keep with your license and if you're in an accident the proper med. team knows your wishes.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 5:34pm

Thanks Linda we dont have that here i think ima have to look in to it i feel very strongly about this i would hate to think my pain is good for nothing you know what i meen

Regards
Brian

PF Wishes to all.&&We all live with this crap But it is not who we are dont let it control you!!!.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 7:36pm

Here is a link to a great discussion on the topic from last November.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Unfortunately it turns out that there is no way to mark the brain as a "cluster" subject.  Your free to donate your brain but there is no way for researchers to pull cluster brains from the "bank"

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 10:31pm

thanks denis first few pages where a interesting read got a bit sleepy after that will read rest tomorrow

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 7:01am

I suspect the folks at the UK OUCH group could help you:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:01am

thanks bob i wasnt awear of a uk ouch thx alot Smiley

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:06am

I am with you brian if i could, and it would be used to help future ch afflictions i would gladly do it.

karl

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:13am

Goadsby's setting up a "brain bank" (will be a year or so before it's set up).

I donated Chuckles brain for research so it'll probably be a while before they'll need another one... Smiley

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:32am

BarbaraD wrote on Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:13am:
I donated Chuckles brain for research

Ummmm ... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Barb, but for every MRI I have had, they always come back the same, when the doctors look at them:  "Nope, nothing there ... "

So, I guess that means I have no brain to donate ...

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:32am

Thanks BD that is good to know that someone like Goadsby is doing this.

Good for you Karl i am glad others feel the same way.

Regards
Brian

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 10:29am

I hope we get a big link when Goadsby's gets that bank set up. What an opportunity to help those that come after us.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 10:42am

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 25th, 2008 at 10:29am:
I hope we get a big link when Goadsby's gets that bank set up. What an opportunity to help those that come after us.

Guiseppi

Cant agree more my name will be on the donation list for his bank

IP Logged

ReeseC
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

San Francisco
Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 1:59pm

BrianJ wrote on Aug 24th, 2008 at 4:44pm:
i would like to donate my brain and any other parts of my body that may help doctors understand this illness and mabey stop the suffering of the next genaration is this possable is it worth it would anyone put the time and money in to reserch this.

I think it is possible.  This is not like other organ donation, where there's an uncertain list of recipients that changes all the time, and where the deceased would not personally know the recipient.

If you make a connection with a particular research team (like, at a university) that focuses on CH, and they agree to take on the responsibility, it might be possible to make them "executor" of your body.  Put it in your will, and set it up ahead of time.  If they are "on board" with your plan when you die, they should be able to get your body without a problem.  You have to specifically arrange it with them.

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #14 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 2:12pm

Thanks reese i will look in to it Smiley

IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

"L'Chaim"~Hebrew Toast~"To
Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Reply #15 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 8:10pm

I haven't read through that linked post yet, but I would think there is a way - at least in the US.  I am an Organ Doner, which is one thing - but not what is meant by this.  Organ Donation takes a healthy tissue or organ and implants it into someone in need of that tissue or organ.  But donation for science could possibly be set up through a Living Will.  Not sure if the UK has a system for Living Wills - or if this was discussed in that other thread.

In my Living Will, I initially crossed out the section designating that any part of my body would be used for science, but I have been seriously thinking about changing it and putting that I would donate my brain for study in relation to headaches.  ONLY for that purpose.  I don't know whether that would be good enough, or if they would need some of the extra cranial nerves as well (or at least branches of those nerves), but I haven't decided if I want to be cremated or not yet.  If I do chose to be cremated, then they can take whatever they want of my brain and nerves, as long as they cremate the rest of my body so my family can bury it.

I know this is a morbid thought, and I'm only 27, but I do think about things like this!  I completed my living will back in April or May, and it made me think about a lot of different things!  It is important to make these decisions now so that our loved ones don't have to when the time comes!  My parents have already told me their wishes, should something happen to them, and I have told them my wishes as well.  I will be updating my living will at some point in the future, and especially if my boyfriend and I get married, but for now, I think it is a good thing to have.  Just not sure if that is the best legal way to ensure that your particular organ donated to science is used in the way you wish.  Not sure they would have to honor it.  Some states in the US require notarization, whereas others don't.

Dunno - this might have been discussed in that other thread!

Take care,
Carrie Smiley

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
Lizzie2 Lizzie2 Lizzie52004 NeoNurseChic  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!