Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Washing hair = CH attack? (Read 1567 times)
Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Washing hair = CH attack?
Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:56am

This might sound silly, but have any of you noticed that washing your hair leads to an imminent CH attack? For me, it seems to act as a trigger very often.

- Best regards,
Rosa
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:56am by Ungweliante »  

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Washing hair = CH attack?
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 10:08am

Hi Rosa,

I've never heard of this being a trigger but two thoughs come to mind:

1. Do you wash your hair at the same time each day? This could just be a schedule hit from the beasts perspective.
2. It could be that you are susceptable to heat/cold on your head from the water.  Try changing the temp of the water you wash with.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 10:20am

I wash my hair every now and then and not even every day, there's no real schedule to it. I've thought about the heat though...perhaps taking only cold showers might help. I'm a cold-seeker anyways regarding the CH - ice sometimes helps.

- Rosa

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 10:27am

I kinda agree with Dennis although there are a  number of variables here. The water temp., aromas of shampoo and creme rinse, (smells being triggers for many), the actual chemical compounds in the shampoo creme rinse and soap. I've never had a hit follow a shower. Good luck! Wink From the looks of a lot of high schoolers that greasy, unwashed, slicked down look may be coming back again!!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 11:25am

Brushing the hair has been noted as a trigger for some trigeminal neuralgias - wouldn't surprise me if stimulating the nerves in the scalp (and maybe the neck if the scalp is massaged vigorously) can get things stirred up.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2008 at 11:27am by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 12:14pm

Never relax ever. Thats when you get hit. Try jumping up and down in the shower with your arms out and above your head. Just Kidding. Dont jump up and down in the shower. Roll Eyes
While in an episode many things can seem to trigger a headache. Many of these are coincedence. Cardiovascular stimulation can effect your CH. The shower can stimulate or calm the vascular system thus having an effect on the CH. Undecided
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

j_erickson85
CH.com Newbie

x0|St. Cloud|USA||0|0|MN,Minnesota
Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 8:22pm

Smells can be a trigger for me..Try using a completely different type of shampoo that smells different

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent in doing nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

The next person who calls
it a migraine eats teeth

x0|London|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 9:53pm

Monty said what I was thinking.

Your trigeminal nerves can be REALLY susceptible when in cycle- I won't go to the hygienist or dentist when I am in cycle as my jaw is hypersensitive and I dread getting a cold and bad sinuses as I am sure it makes my trigeminal pain worse.

There are even some CH'ers who get many extra TN symptoms when they are having a lot of CH hits so it might be this as TN is triggered by touch and temperatures.

W

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 12:54am

For me,  hot showers and baths in high cycle typically lead to a hit if not a very very strong shadow.  Even though I am out of cycle, I rarely take hot , steamy baths anymore - just a quick  Hot shower , in and out.....Don't want to tempt fate

kelly

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 2:27am

Hot showers may be what it is, that's what can trigger mine if I'm shadowing. Never tried a hot bath yet...

Another thing I can think of is something to do with the occipital nerve.I know my doctor mentioned that someone with clusters can be sensitive there. As in, he was afraid he would make my headache worse, or trigger one by touching me there. Maybe it has something to do with that?

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!