Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Too young to have clusters? (Read 4157 times)
MattDaley
CH.com Newbie

I PLAY DRUMS!

Arizona
Too young to have clusters?
Sep 3rd, 2008 at 3:48am

I'm 17 years old and had my first cluster headache three days ago and about 4 more since then.  I'm worried if something must be extremely wrong to have clusters this early and this often.

My dad used to get clusters so he's been helping me out.  Putting my feet in freezing Ice, and other tricks to divert the flow of blood to the brain but still I'm worried about my general health, am I too young to have clusters?

I play drums, I've worked hard to get good and CH is taking that joy away!

IP Logged

n_lighty37
CH.com Junior

Opportunity knocked, my
doorman kicked him out.

Re: Too young to have clusters?
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 7:12am

There are people on these boards who are here because their young children have CH.  I'm not sure that it's possible to be too young unfortunately.

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this at such a young age though.  My attacks started just after my 20th birthday, so I wasn't quite as young as you, but almost.

It's good you have someone there with you who already has experience too.  Here's hoping for PF days  Smiley

P.S.  Have you made an appointment to see a doctor yet?  I would say anytime you have health concerns you should get them checked out.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2008 at 7:15am by n_lighty37 »  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 9:31am

No age too young unfortunately........good advice above though....I'm assuming you're not self diagnosing but going through the whole diagnostic process to make sure you're suffering from CH. There are a myriad of ailments similar to CH and a proper diagnosis is critical to establishing an effective treatment plan.

If it is CH, glad you found us and awesome you've got a father who is paving the road for you!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 10:13am

Hi Matt,

I'm sorry to hear of your pain.   I had my first Cluster at age 10.  It is very scary.  Please make sure that you get to a Dr. for a true diagnosis just to be sure that you are, in fact, dealing with Clusters and not something more serious.  After that your Dr. can help you find a way to effectively manage your pain.  Oxygen is first choice around here.  There are also preventives that can keep the HAs at bay.  Lately though, Ive seen that some choose to deal with the HA rather than prevent them.  I choose to prevent and last cycle Verapamil did the trick for me.  This is not always the case though, as each cycle can be very different.

I find that putting ice on the top of my head and in the back of my neck help a lot during a hit.  Also energy drinks such as Red Bull, Rock Star, ect. can also help abort a hit.

PF wishes,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 12:56pm

Matt, anyone under the age of 794 is too young to have these ... (DAMNATION!  That means I am old enough to have them!)

As the others have said, make sure you get confirmation that clusters is what you have.

Good luck, buddy!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 1:06pm

No, not too young, unfortunately.

As the others have said, make sure that you see a doctor to confirm the diagnosis and to get appropriate treatment.  I'm assuming that since your Dad gets them, you're both pretty clear that CH is what it is, though.

Glad to hear that you have an experienced clusterhead around who can help you learn how to get through and get by. 

All the best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

x0|Princeton|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 3:28pm

I've also had them since I was 10 yrs old.  I handled it better then, than I do now though.

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 8:07pm

Sorry to hear about your hits. I was 23 so your not to far away from where i was, can you please describe some of your symtoms. Thanks Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

MattDaley
CH.com Newbie

I PLAY DRUMS!

Arizona
Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 2:10am

My second night (3rd attack) my parents took me to the ER.
I was prescribed Imitrex and given a shot of pain killer.
Unfortunately all of this happened once the headache passed...

The biggest bother of this to me is the fact that it is so unknown that most doctors didn't know what it was and compared it to migraines, one doctor in the whole hospital had "seen a patient with this before" so he was my savior.

My symptoms are different from my dad's but the headaches themselves are the same.
I experience pain on the left side of my head behind my eye feeling like... pressure building to the point I wanna be apart of the procedure used in Saw 3 to relieve his headache.
It's like it's on a schedule.  2 hours into sleep i have one, 2 hours after waking up one starts but takes a lil while to kick into gear, then theres the floater, it hits anywhere between the second one and 5 hours later, than the last one of my day happens about an hour before I normally goto sleep. 
This friday I goto one doctor to be referred to another one for god only know's what to happen. 

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 6:08am

Good luck Matt - I'm a clusterhead and the mother of a very young clusterhead and I'm devastated to hear of you going through this for both you and your parents, especially your dad. I know how I feel about one of my kids having this. There will be any amount of support, help and advice here for them as well as you if they so wish.

Please let us know how you get on no matter what
Helen

IP Logged

MattDaley
CH.com Newbie

I PLAY DRUMS!

Arizona
Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 11:30pm

Thank you everyone for your understanding
I might have to quit my band because I can't take loud noises
My girlfriend is gonna leave me because she thinks I'm avoiding her because of "some stupid headaches."
I can't goto the upcoming Trivium concert.
I went to school one day out of this week (which is gonna make it hard to keep up straight A's)

thank you everyone here for some understanding.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 11:55pm

As a guitarist the thought of CH taking away your music sucks!!!! The good news is there are a number of effective preventative meds available. Most find the best result from combining a preventative medication, something you take daily to reduce both frequency and intensity of the attacks, with an abortive medication, something you take once the headache starts.

Once you get a routine going I'm hoping it will manage them well enough that you can  keep up with the drums! By the way, you know what they call a guy that hangs out with the musicians all the time but knows nothing about music??? Yeah, he's the drummer! Grin

Wishing you a short cycle and a long remission, don't let it stop the music.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 12:09am

Matt,

I agree with Guiseppi.  You CAN get a handle on the HAs.  Don't give in just yet.  When you see your Dr. tell him all the things that are being disrupted by your pain.  Make sure that he knows the impact that this is having on your life.   He should be able to help you manage your CH.

As for your girlfriend....  When you are not getting hit, sit down with her and talk to her about your HAs.  Explain to her why you are having a hard time spending time with her.  Tell her what you need from her during this time and that you don't want her to feel neglected.  Just talking to her about it may make a world of difference.

Hang in there...... It will get better!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

washed-out
CH.com Junior

Native Engrish Speaker
:D

Poland
Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 4:47pm

Well I am almost 18 yo and I am chronic (didn't have more than 2-3 PF days in a row) for at least one year. What is the most important, I had my first attack when I was 15, so I am afraid it isn't 'too early' to have CH.

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 5:19pm

Hi Matt

Mine started at 17 as well.

Most important thing is never let them get in the way of living. Its between the hits that we excell. Hits may come and as you now know they will go but life never stops.
Keep the music going.

Pretty hard to see that initially as these bastards hurt. Mortal men cannot survive but a clusterhead is near to immortal in the pain we can overcome.

You may need a few more breaks at times but thats just the way it bounces. Your exhaustion following a hit is the hardest to overcome but overcome it you must.

The school should be able to accomodate you as well with self study if needed.

We dont let just anybody into this club, Only the toughest can make it.

MJ

IP Logged

Felicia
CH.com Old Timer

You can never change me.

Daytona Beach, FL, USA
Reply #15 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 5:47pm

Matt, check your PMs and listen to the people here. A lot of them know what they're talking about. My best friend/"adopted" brother, that I met on this site, started when he was 16. He was also in a band and had a girlfriend at the time. It's been two years now and he's still in the band and keeps a steady girlfriend when he finds one he likes. Tongue Don't give up your life to these things. Unfortunatly though as the others have said you are probably never to young to get these things, though no one should have to suffer this pain. Cry Many PF wishes and vibes headed your way. Smiley

Broken

I won't let myself down even if it means I can't make you proud. Its my life I gotta do what I feel is right. No one can stop me now. This clusterhead child is gonna show the world how
Felicia They.Call.Me.Alice little_black_flame@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

MattDaley
CH.com Newbie

I PLAY DRUMS!

Arizona
Reply #16 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 10:01pm

Thanks everyone
I keep the music going
I bought these Vic Firth Isolation headphones and they make it alot easier to keep going.
My girlfriend finally understands that I'm not exaggerating with these headaches, although the convincing thing was that I had one at her house during dinner... haha, her dad thought I was coming down off a crack binge.  I had no pills to suppress it so it hit a 9 on the kip scale.

IP Logged

rampalicious
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #17 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 10:41am

I had my when I was 17 too. I thought i was with brain tumor or brain cancer.
But after consultations with several doctors, i was diagnosed with CH.

IP Logged

Gemma
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

United Kingdom
Reply #18 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 4:03pm

Hi matt  Smiley

I don't think you are too young at all -- maybe some doctors might say you are, according to 'guidelines' and stuff, but it doesnt mean you are!

I am not sure when it asll kicked off for me, I had short, milder bursts or eye/face pain for as far back as I can remember, but I remember the first time I had a mega attack of pain, I was about 16. So I think its definitely worth getting your symptoms explored  Smiley

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #19 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 4:53pm

Have been getting them since my last year in high school, so I ws about your age, 17 or 18. They suck, no matter what age you are.

Chuck, how d'ya always manage to make me crack a smile? Haha, he said damnation.

Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #20 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 2:19pm

MattDaley wrote on Sep 3rd, 2008 at 3:48am:
I'm 17 years old and had my first cluster headache three days ago and about 4 more since then.  I'm worried if something must be extremely wrong to have clusters this early and this often.

My dad used to get clusters so he's been helping me out.  Putting my feet in freezing Ice, and other tricks to divert the flow of blood to the brain but still I'm worried about my general health, am I too young to have clusters?

hey buddy. i've had ch since i was 11 y.o. the more you hang out here the more you'll find that you are perfectly healthy.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #21 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 3:08pm

Matt, it sucks that you are so young and the Beast already has his talons in you! You're not the youngest, and you're not the oldest. The beast is a total=opportunity abuser, I'm afraid!
That said, I just have 2 things to say for now.....
1-Welcome to the best place a Clusterhead could land!
2-NEVER-EVER allow the beast to win! He'll try to take everything away from you.... your music, your social life, you education...stay strong, and YOU will win! VH's are known to be the worst pain known to man, but they  DON"T kill(even though it may seem like it)!
With that, please take time to read here. Things could very well have  changed since your dad fought the beast. Read the buttons on the left, and ask lots of questrions.......
Remember, there are a whole lot of people in  Clusterville, ready to help in any way the can!

Wishing you PF,
Cathi

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

ewright
CH.com Newbie

I Love My Drums

Reply #22 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 5:03pm

im 17 too. i started having headaches that are almost identical to the ones described. except that i rarely if ever hit lvl 8-10 on the kip scale thing. the only times i really explode is when i push people, usually my parents away and tell them to let me leave so i can relax and calm down for a bit and they dont do it. and i can flip pretty bad. idk if that means i have clusters or not. or if i do, is my head going to be even worse as i age. well any information you have would help. thanks

Everyday i look again at humanity, and everyday i am disappointed once again.&&The world thrives on emptiness. A hollow chord runs through us. &&So few truly know what we are looking for, and its the most basic of all things. &&&&It is love.&&&&Not a highschool love that means nothing. &&Or the love of a spouse that is doomed to die&&&&but the love of a one above us

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!