Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oxygen Question (Read 2290 times)
darknight
CH.com Veteran

Ever danced with the devil
by the pale moonlight?

x0|Manchester|Great_Britain||0|0|
Oxygen Question
Sep 8th, 2008 at 9:13am

Hi All,

I have been using my Oxygen since Febuary and have noticed in my latest cycle that it seems to becoming less effective, it still works 99% of the time but i am noticing that releif is taking longer and longer compared to the immediate relief i felt when first taking oxygen.

Has anyone experienced this, has anyone become resistant to Oxygen.
I await your thoughts experience and opinions.

PFD to all Cool

This is My Gift My Curse!!

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Oxygen Question
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 2:12pm

Hello:

I have found that my O2 has worked about the same for me.  It aborts about 80% of the hits, provided I use it early on in the attack.  This is one of the few consistent factors in my clusters since they began.

Wishing you well,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 2:40pm

I try not to use the same abort over and over, unless it's working. Keeps the bastard guessing. Mix in another abort now and then? Of course checking with the doc first. Cool
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

by the pale moonlight?

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 7:28am

Has anyone ever gone from using oxygen as an abortive to it not working for them?

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 12:14pm

Yes.  There was a thread not too long ago on the meds board where blood PH was discussed.  Certain diets that are low carb can affect your blood PH and make O2 much less effective. 

Check out this thread: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

by the pale moonlight?

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 7:26am

Cheers Dennis,

Ive had a look and some interesting points.

Im gonna see how i go im just unsure as to whether this is due to this being my main cycle of the year and my hits are harder or other reasons!

Take care PFD to all Wink

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 10:56am

Darknight:

If it's not obvious already, please use the O2 at the first sign, as it is most effective that way.  Keep it within easy/quick reach.

If this was already known to you, sorry to say it again!

Cheers,

Ray   Roll Eyes

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 11:09am

That posting Dennis referenced explains to me why my magnesium supplement has such a profoundly positive effect on me. If you're not already taking a magnesium supplement it's worth considering. You should take a calcium supplement with the magnesium as magnesium leeches calcium outta your system. I and many others on the board have posted positive results from adding magnesium. I take it year round now on or off cycle.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

by the pale moonlight?

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 6:50am

Cheers Ray, i knew already but no harm in reminding us all!!

Guiseppi, i may look further into the supplements thanks for your input.

AS im monitoring the effectivness of my Oxygen during peak of my cycle i am noticing staying on longer than 15 - 20 mins seems to be more effective, maybe coincidene more monitoring will help.

PFD to all!!! Wink
Si

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 2:24pm

If you're using an oxygen flow rate of 15 liters/minute...  I'd get a regulator good for a flow rate of 25 liters/minute or higher...  I use much higher flow rates.

I would also get some pH test strips...  (I use test strips from pH ION as they have a 0.25 resolution, but other pH test strips may also offer this resolution). Follow the instructions that come with the pH stix using the two-day collection chart to log saliva and urine samples to calculate an average daily normal reading.

I've found that if I take a saliva pH reading as soon as I can at the start of an attack and prior to starting oxygen therapy, my pH is 0.25 to 0.40 below my daily normal reading.  It's also interesting to note that when I take a second pH measurement 5 minutes after the abort with just oxygen therapy at a flow rate of ≥25 liters/minute, the average pH measurement is 0.40 higher indicating my saliva pH is back up to the daily normal reading to slightly above.

(I developed an excel data collection sheet that will plot out daily pH readings.  If you want a copy, shoot me a PM with your email address)

If these tests indicate the pH level is lower than normal, arterial blood has shifted from neutral to more acid for some reason. It could be due to diet or some other condition.  Whatever the cause, a low arterial pH will make oxygen therapy less effective as this condition causes vasodilation and that tends to make the cluster headache triggering mechanism more effective. If the pH measurement is well below normal, the level of dilation may be greater than oxygen therapy can handle. As a result, the frequency and intensity of cluster headache attacks will increase to the point where a flow rate of 15 liters/minute can become totally ineffective or take far too long to abort attacks at Kip-5 and above.

I've found my chronic "high cycle" periods coincide with a lower than normal pH so I take the Calcium and Magnesium with Zinc tablets.  

Dennis and Guiseppi are spot on...  These mineral supplements can help regulate the arterial acid-alkaline balance back to normal levels if taken as directed on the label. If that doesn't work, cut back on red meat and cheese for a few days adding more green veggies.

As always, results can and will vary, but taking these tablets usually takes me in a day from a rate of 3 attacks a day during a high cycle (I get hit while sleeping) down to a rate of less than 1 attack every 3 days (usually when I miss a dose).  See your doctor if you're taking thyroid medications as these mineral supplements can interfere with thyroid medications.

Take care, and let us know the results if you try the pH strips and mineral supplements.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2008 at 3:13pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

by the pale moonlight?

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 7:12am

Thanks Batch,

Just seen ur reply not read through the whole reply as yet as im in work but thank you for your response and ill read through later tonight.

PFD Cool

IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

by the pale moonlight?

Reply #11 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 5:51am

Just to update you, i have found that my oxygen is working but i need a good 20 mins regardless of its intensity, previously i have stayed on for 10mins after preventing after 5 mins, also im an ice lover and found adding an ice pack to the area whilst taking my oxygen can offer more relief.
So if anyone is thinking that during there peak cycle/attack the oxygen isnt as effective make sure you are on it at the first sign and that you stay on for 20mins regardless of the pain reduction and try to use an ice pack. It has probably been said before but this was my own experience im sharing so sorry if this is a repeat for anyone.

Take care and PFD to all and thank you for the extra info provided above.

Si  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!