Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm new here today (Read 1281 times)
Roy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

I'm new here today
Sep 15th, 2008 at 11:07am

Hi, My name is Roy and am 64 years old and live in central New York. I am on my 3rd bout of clusters. 1st was in 1999, then 2005 and now. They started Aug 7th this time. Up to 8 per day . Last week the Neuro Dr. wants to start me on Verapamil. Have not recieved it yet tho. I am doing the oxygen . 3 days ago I started applying real hot washcloths from the microwave on 20 seconds on hugh, applied to the left side forehead and eye area, WOW, what a dif. now down to 4-5 per day and less frequent and not as painful. I do the oxy at the same time. I just had one a few minutes ago, lasted 15 minutes, awesome.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Re: I'm new here today
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 12:00pm

Hi Roy,
These are common CH treatments. Hang tough, hurts worse than anything but does not kill you. Keep on the 02 it is a blessing for many.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
thbb

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 12:12pm

Hi Roy,

Welcome to the board!  As the saying goes; sorry you're here but damn glad you found us.

Looks like you have long remissions - just not long enough  Wink

Great you found O2!  That is my main abortive too.  Fast, effective and no side effects!

Anyway, sounds like you've found a Dr that knows his CH treatments.  That is a real good start.  Good luck with the Verapamil.  Stick around and ask any questions you might have...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Ernie Moss aka Wishbone
CH.com Junior

Birmingham, AL
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 12:36pm

Roy, glad you found the board and hope this cycle is a short one and you are back to PFD soon.  Unlike some unfortunate posters it does sound as if your dr has you on the right path.  At for me the O2 is a great abortive.  Good luck man.  Wishbone.

It don't cost a nickel to be nice and by being so you might just make someone's day.&&Ernie Moss

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 2:45pm

Hi Roy, and welcome

I'm 62, with first ever bout of Ch in 1999.  I'm also one of those females, "who don't get CH".

You have not only found the right place to get a wealth of information, but also an extended family.

I honestly cannot speak to any preventative meds because I don't use them.  You like the hot washcloth, I like ice - cold, packs, frozen peas, anything cold. 

As you will learn here, CH is not a one size fits all kind of affliction.  Everyone of us will have success with something, while others will not.

Just read  everything here.  Click all of the buttons to the left of your screen for valuable info,go to to the OUCH website for more info.

As the clusterheads on this site like to say, Welcome - we're all in the same boat.  Pick up an oar and row!

Ask anything. As I was told when I first joined,there is no stupid question other than the one you didn't ask.

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus

Go Cubbies  / even though
they suck

x1|naperville|USA|usa|360|126|IL,Illinois
Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 8:44pm

Hey Roy ,

I see you found you new home and your new family. Anyway try this if you haven't already. Energy drinks Red Bull, Monster ect. anything with the combination of Taurine and Caffeine in it slam it down as fast as you can. I know it sounds hoaky but believe me it works. Remember slam it down as fast as you can.

Dave

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 4:27am

Roy,
warm welcome! Smiley

Wishing you pain-free time,
Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:02am

Mate, I swear by hot packs, though I've gotta tell you that many a CHead would run a mile just at the thought! I commonly combine them with ice packs, using one on the side of my face and the other on the back of my neck, switching them round every couple of minutes.

Sticking one or the other under an armpit or between the legs might also help, or at least serve to take your mind off things for couple of moments.

(If I can't beat the bastage, I can sure confuse it.)

Frozen peas are the weapon of choice here, but beware the bags frozen mixed vegetables - some of them contain carrots.

It's a fight worth fighting, Roy, and together we'll win it.

Cheers and beers,

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!