Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Well here I am (Read 1501 times)
starflower
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Well here I am
Sep 15th, 2008 at 2:26pm

Here's a bit about my demon.

My CH is episodic, with cycles lasting usually 4 weeks, remission for 11mo, usually striking in the autumn.

Attack always begins with shadows of the mind (a minor alteration of consciousness, or, "I just know"), and a tension in my neck at the maxillary gland, which swells, connects with the next gland up behind my ears, spreads to crown on my left side and comes shooting out my eye.

Have tried rizatriptan wafers, imitrex (injection and oral), prednisone, high dose ibuprophen, O2, excercise, marijuana, psylicybin, T3/codine, masturbation, self-abuse and just about everything else to prevent or break an attack to no avail. The only things that provide a minor sense of comfort are cold things and pressure - a gel pack from the freezer wrapping from my neck, around behind my ear, over the top and onto the eye is a favorite fallback, as well, I have a 6" chunk of steel tube I keep in the freezer and wrap in a tea towel to apply pressure to the base of my skull over the affected glands. And cold running water on my head. Ice cold.

These efforts do not "relieve" anything, but they're the closest to doing anything that does anything. Heh.

Typical characteristics are present, ptosis and lacrimation (or "the amazing melting face" as I call it), stuffed nostril (note SINGULAR), severe watering.

The attacks first began when I was about 17 and was unable to be diagnosed for a good five years. My GP would give me photocopies of methods for relaxing muscles. HOT WATER DON'T HELP FOO! Smiley I did my own research (being educated and resourceful) and made my own diagnosis as it's pretty much a casebook example of an episodic CH sufferer, but my GP again thought I was exhibiting "drug seeking behaviour" and it wasn't until I happened to be walking past his office when an attack happened and I walked in and said "Tell me I'm faking this" that his eyes were opened.

I've been able to intellectualize the experience, which is probably how I'm still alive and haven't taken the name of "suicide headaches" to heart, by kind of "falling in behind myself" and observing the symptoms, feeling around my consciousness and thinking about different things. It feels like I step aside - I still feel the pain, even in the upper ranges of the Kipp scale I've gotten beyond punching myself in the head and screaming and pacing.

I lay down, move my ice pack around, and allow the pain to wash over me, knowing that I will remain. Like Frank Herbert's "Dune."

Now, this sounds unusual and I've talked to other clusterheads who've told me "if you can just tune it out then it's not a cluster!" However, I am an expert on pain. I know it sounds odd, but I can (*usually!*) meditate myself through it since medicating myself through it doesn't work. Heh. Probably better for my liver too! Wink

"Cessation of pain is one of life's truest pleasures."
- me

Hope this helps Wink

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Well here I am
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 2:58pm

Some of us have had excellent results with this one.
========
Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. The initial olanzapine dose was 5 mg, and the dose was increased to 10 mg if there was no pain relief. The dosage was decreased to 2.5 mg if the 5-mg dose was effective but caused adverse effects. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. It alleviates pain quickly and has a consistent response across multiple treated attacks. It appears to work in both episodic and chronic cluster headache.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 5:28pm

Welcome starflower, your story sounds very familiar ! Numerous others,(myself included) have come here as newbies and written virtually the same thing. In my case, I gave oxygen another try, after reading here that i was using it improperly. The results were amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! I also learned here about mlatonin, to avoid the nighttime hits,,,, that too was amazing!!!! One thing that I, and MANY others , and probably you will learn from this site is that we dont "eliminate" CH, we simply learn to fight it, fight it with GREAT success!!!!!!!Never fear it, arm yourself with newfound "fighting techniques" and get out there and LIVE!!!  The info on this site is ENORMOUS starflower,,, just read, read, and read some more. No doubt you will try MANY more things and lots will fail, thats why we are here. This is the place to come and vent, and BE UNDERSTOOD! But,,, NEVER give up,, keep trying and you WILL find a method to help deal with your beast.   Good luck,, and again,WELCOME       Tuck
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2008 at 5:30pm by tuck »  

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

Ernie Moss aka Wishbone
CH.com Junior

Birmingham, AL
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 5:59pm

Starflower glad you found us and with you having no real abortive means it is wonderful your remission has been so long, I hope your PFP are near and your remission is long.  As Tuck mentioned there is a world of info here if you read and if you do you will learn what works for one may not for another.  However also as Tuck said you may want to give O2 another try as an abortive because it has worked wonders fro so many, if and the operative word is if adminstered properly.  You must have a regulator with at least 15lpm (preferably 25lpm) and a good non-rebreather mask.  I believe you must attack the HA which you first sense it is coming and not when it has kipped up as that takes longer.  Again this is just what I have found to work for me.  I had used O2 not as described above and was not high on its abortive abilitiy until I learned the proper use.  Now, now O2 is like Karl Malden and his American Express, I won't leave home without when is cycle.  Good luck.  Wishbone.

It don't cost a nickel to be nice and by being so you might just make someone's day.&&Ernie Moss

IP Logged

starflower
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 9:18pm

Well saw the local MD at the hospital the other night and got some prescriptions out of him... talked him into letting me try O2 but at a max 5lpm and getting to MediGas is difficult, so I managed to score some samples of Maxalt RPD (rizatriptan benzoate) out of him a couple days later, after trying to fill the prescription and getting charged $23 for a single hit. Cheaper than imitrex, but seriously... did one last night when the beast woke me up with a cowboy kick to the left eye, didn't work right away but I don't remember much after about 20 mins so I must have fallen asleep. Or maybe I was still experiencing the pain but it wiped my memory. Now there's an existential dilemma for you Smiley

That's better than nothin!

My spidey senses are telling me that I'm getting close to the end of my cycle. Ha, here's hopin.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 9:32pm

Welcome to the family, glad you found us. 02 at 5 LPM will probably provide little if any relief to you. For your body to get the vaso constrictive effect it needs to STOP the headaches progression, your lungs must recieve ONLY pure oxygen, no outside air, no air you've exhaled, that's probably not possible at 5 LPM. I can abort an attack in less then 10 minutes, usually closer to 6, using pure oxygen. You may want to look into purchasing a high flow regulator, at least 15 LPM, on the internet, try that next cycle. As many have already posted, it's been a miracle abortive for many of us.

Welcome to your new second home! Wink

Guiseppe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 4:09pm

Welcome aboad. I think you are a canditate for the technique I learned from my old neurologist.

Dr. Wright’s Circulatory Technique:

I am not sure what mechanism is triggered by this but whatever it is, at least indirectly helps kill the pain. I do know that this technique has nothing to do with meditation, relaxation, or psychic ability. It is entirely physical and takes some work. It involves concentrating on trying to redirect a little circulation to the arms, hands, or legs. Think of feeling your pulse in your hand. Increased circulation will result in a reddening and warming of the hands. The important and difficult part is that it has to be done without interruption through the pain. Do not give up in frustration. It may not work on the first try. Try experimenting between attacks. You will find that it gets easier with practice. Every now and then it will work almost immediately. I lived for those moments.

I was given less than five minutes instruction in the use of method. The doctor, while placing his arm on his desk, showed me that he could slightly increase his arm and hand circulation. After several attempts, I was able to repeat this procedure and use it successfully. I have had about a 75% success rate shortening these attacks. My 20 minute attacks were often reduced to 10 minutes or less. Once proven that I had a chance to effectively deal with this horror, I always gave it a try as I had nothing to lose but pain.

I used to try to imagine I was pushing blood away from my neck into my arm. Use your imagination. There is one man who wrote that his standing barefoot on a concrete floor shortened his attacks. This may be similar as it draws some circulation away from the head. Cold water, exercise, or anything affecting circulation, seems to be worth a try. My suggestion is to not let up immediately when the pain goes. Waiting a minute is probably a good idea. So long as you do not slack off, this has a chance of working.

This technique is very useful while waiting for medication to take effect or when none is available. It costs nothing, is non-invasive, and can be used just about anywhere. It is not a miracle but it helped me deal with this horror. It can be a bit exhausting but the success rate was good enough for me and a cluster headache sufferer will do just about anything to end the pain. It gives us a fighting chance.

Charlie      

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!