Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil: Regular vs Sustained Release (Read 2122 times)
jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Verapamil: Regular vs Sustained Release
Sep 17th, 2008 at 8:30pm

Hello all,

Cautionary tale.

At my last visit, the neuro renewed my script for verapamil. I didn't notice it was for sustained release and had it filled by mail (3 mos worth). Upon receiving I realized uh-oh, this is not good.

Being in "regular" cycle I figured well, ok, I KNOW SR is considered less than effective as reported MANY times here. But, I'm doing ok now and it should be alright. BIG mistake (call me dumb, I qualify).

Real soon I went to 6-8 hits per day, some bad ones too despite going to 720 mg/day. That's when I went back to the regular verap (had a stash, dumb but not a moron). Within 1 week I was back to my "normal" 2 hits per day.

This is all anecdotal, no science involved, just my experience. I will NEVER use SR again...lesson learned... As Phil Esterhaus on Hill Street Blues said, "Be CAREFUL out there".

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Verapamil: Regular vs Sustained Release
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 8:47pm

Thanks for the testimony Jon.  I swear by the regular release formulation.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 8:59am

Really, two lessons in your experience:

1. Use the correct med and,

2. Don't walk out of the doc's office without scanning what he has given you.

Given the pressures of contemporary medicine on docs we must change our assumptions that they will be effectively protecting us. I've spent years with my clients coaching on the need to write notes, be assertive in asking for needed time, and not trust memory in a situation which is too pressured.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:48am

Jon,

A few questions if you don't mind.
I take 720 sustained release.  It seems to keeps the hits down, but every two weeks I get 3-4 days that are real killers.  Do you take the same dosage for the regular and the sustained release?  Did you notice any difference in side effects?  How many times a day do you take it?   Verapamil has left a void in my memory bank, and sometimes I can't remember if I have taken my two pills for the day.  Not sure what I would do if I had to keep up with more that.   Thanks.

Regards,

Malcom

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:49am

im on sr now and wondered at the time the doc wrote it if i shouldn't ask for regular instead and i didn't. kicking myself now as i would love some relief.

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:59am

I asked my doc about it and he said that it would not make a difference either way,  but he does not have ch.  It may not make a difference used as a blood pressure medication, only as a ch treatment.  It would be interesting to see some stats on sr vs. regular for the treatment of CH. 

Regards,

Malcom

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 10:51am

MPMIII wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:48am:
Jon,

A few questions if you don't mind.
I take 720 sustained release.  It seems to keeps the hits down, but every two weeks I get 3-4 days that are real killers.  Do you take the same dosage for the regular and the sustained release?  Did you notice any difference in side effects?  How many times a day do you take it?   Verapamil has left a void in my memory bank, and sometimes I can't remember if I have taken my two pills for the day.  Not sure what I would do if I had to keep up with more that.  

Malcom,

Don't mind at all, that's why we are here.

I am chronic. My maintenance dose is 480 mg/dy taken in three divided doses. Up it to 720 when in "high" cycle, again three divided doses.

After many years I detect virtually no side effects. Have seen it reported of the mental fog but only experienced THAT with Topomax.
I control constipation with 500-1000 mg/dy magnesium (taken with an equal or larger dose of calcium citrate -other reasons for that), lots of water and fruit. Higher doses above 720 do reduce my blood pressure, sometimes very low so I need to be careful and monitor bp with home unit. At 480-720 there is some effect (normal 120/80) down to 115/70.

I monitor my dosage with a pill box which has compartments for each day of the week. No forgetting with that.

I have no stats on sr vs regular but have seen many times here anecdotal reports and articles from Bob re relative effectiveness. From personal experience I detect a SIGNIFICANT difference. If your doc says there is no difference he should have no problem changing your script to regular.

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 1:11pm

Malcolm, your doc needs to see:

SLOW-RELEASE VERAPAMIL

Dr. Sheftell applauded the protocol for verapamil used by Dr. Goadsby and colleagues, which entailed use of short-acting verapamil in increments of 80 mg. “This method was suggested by Lee Kudrow, MD, 20 years ago as an alternative to slow-release verapamil,” Dr. Sheftell noted.

“I would agree with using short-acting verapamil, rather than the sustained-release formulation, in cluster headache,” he said. “I prefer the short-acting formulation with regard to ability to titrate more accurately and safely. My clinical experience anecdotally demonstrates improved responses when patients are switched from sustained-release verapamil to short-acting verapamil.”

Dr. Goadsby agreed that his clinical experience was similar. “There are no well-controlled, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging studies to direct treatment. This is one of those areas where clinicians who treat cluster headache have to combine what modicum of evidence is available with their own clinical experience,” Dr. Sheftell commented.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!