Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to the pain. (Read 1305 times)
Patrick
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New to the pain.
Sep 18th, 2008 at 12:20am

My pain started slowly within the last three weeks. I have been under a tremendous amount of stress the last two years that ended with putting my now x-partner in rehab. Now that I am picking up the pieces of my life and business I began to exersise again vigorously riding my bike. I am also a smoker. So, after my ride, 12 miles to burn out some anxiety, I was getting a very strong head ache in my left eye almost every time I did my ride. Asprin worked but it was always the same head ache. I then started waking up at night with the same head ache. I took a week off from riding because I hurt my ankle after a fall, no head ache. Yesterday, I felt better and rode 9miles and last night I woke up to the worst ever head ache in my left eye. I took advil to no avail, the excruciating pain traveled from my eye to my ear, jaw, throat, teeth. My left eye was swolen and tearing, eyelid half mast and left nostral stuffed up.  My face only on the left side was very sensetive to touch. All I could do was sit up and rock back and forth till the crazy pain went away. The preasure in my eye was so great that I was affraid to look twards my neighbors house for fear that my eye would act like a canon ball and knock it down. The pain subsided and then came back I think about 2 hours later. I am 42 and wondering if this is a lifelong affliction? I can't believe what I have read here today, I am more than a little spooked and definately nervous about it happening again tonight. I also must say that if I do have CH I am really happy to have found such a great site. My heart goes out to all of you, I don't know how you find the strength to manage with this pain so regularly...I wish all of you a restfull painless night.

Sincerely,
Patrick

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Re: New to the pain.
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 4:42am

Hello Patrick,

First off, get your behind to a doctor, preferably a neurologist with headache knowledge, and get a proper diagnosis. Not to scare you, but you need to rule out any other, more maliognant afflictions, such as a tumour. It is standard procedure, we all had to endure it before the final diagnosis of CH was set.
If it is indeed CH, you will get the treatments for it, consisting of abortatives such as Imitrex and Oxygen, and preventatives like Verapamil.

Untill then, try Melatonin for the nighttime hits. To be honest, I haven't used it so no personal experience (I'm outta cycle right now) but I've heard of the people here it helps tremendously. I'm sure someone will follow quickly and give you better advice on how to use the Melatonin.
BTW, it's an over the counter medication.

So please follow my advice and get diagnosed, it is very important for several reasons.

PF time ahead soon for ya I hope.

Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 5:31am

Im with you maalstrom.
get to a doctor and start the sometimes ardious jorney to a diagnosis.
the more headache knowledge and friendliness the doctor the better preferably a neuro, but most of them want a refferal, might try a energy drink next time like redbull, rock star or monster.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 8:52am

YES!, it would be unwise to assume this is a cluster. Given the history you relate you need a doc to look for other conditions.

IF you cannot get a quick appt with a neurologist (and this is often a real problem), then see your primary care doc. He will be quite capable to do an initial evaluation and pressure the system to provide a deeper work-up if indicated.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:20am

Hi Patrick,

Sorry for your pain.  You have been given great advice...see a doctor!  If it is Clusters, there are many ways the doctor can help you. 

For now, energy drinks ( Red Bull, Rock Star,ect.) at the onset of a HA can help.  Even very strong coffee is helpful to some.  Drink either as fast as you can at the first hint of a hit.  Hyperventilating during an attack also helps some. 

Read as much as you can...then you will be armed to help your doctor with a proper diagnosis.

PF wishes,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 1:34pm

hello and welcome
Take the cluster quiz on the left. Start a headache diary. Get to the doc.
all the best
thebb

Here are some treatments.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!