Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It worked!!!! (Read 3579 times)
Goodness
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Lakewood|USA||0|0|WA,Washington
It worked!!!!
Sep 20th, 2008 at 2:04pm

I don't know if anyone here remembers me.  I've been gone for a little while. I have fnd something that works. I have been dealing with these damn headaches ever since I was 15, I am now 29.  I have been to doctors, emergency rooms, I have been shot up with Morphine, Demerol, taken Vikatin, Percs, Muscle relaxers, and other things which never worked just to get rid of it. I've smashed myd into walls, cars, doors, fists, and even had a buddy hit me in the face with a 2x4(which landed me in the hospital with broken nose and headache) just to get rid of it.  I thought I was diing, I mean I really thought I was diing, it terrified me. My wife and kids would watch as I would scream and slam my head into walls, punch myself, try to cause some sort of pain to cancel out that one. Here's the kicker, they last for about 12-16 hours.  I cannot do anything. I know when they are coming on too.  It's like a headache without the pain if that makes sense. My head just doesn't feel right, almost like the pain is creeping up and I am just hearing it's footsteps. Then the pain hits. Un-imaginable, torture that makes you wish for death. The sound of my children playing angers me because it hurt so bad. It hurt to look, talk, breath, think...anything. My breathing makes it worse, my heartbeat in my head, a light breeze, a squeeky chair, it is all painful.  I's as though my senses have turned on me. My head hurts to touch, and I cannot go to the bathroom for the whole time. My body shuts down pretty much. I would beg God to end it, I would apologize to him thinking maybe I was being punished.  I would often wonder if I was being punished for some wrong deed, something I did to anger the man upstairs. Then I met a doctor who brought up the thought of cluster headaches.  Everyone else had been treating me like I I was a HypoC. Like the headaches didn't exist. But when my wife told this doctor that I had actually made one of my friends punch me in the face for a split second relief, he took notice. Now I know it says it's for something totally different on the box, but this stuff saved my marriage and possibly life. And it doesn't work all the time, but more times than not it does. ZOMIG. I have to take it though when the warning shot is felt. If I take it at the onset, I am screwed. One pill down and no relief. It has been sooooo long since I didn't fear the next day. Again, I have been to the hospital about 4 times each year since they started, and after 14 years, I can be a father and husband and not the guy who turns into an animal when his head hurts. I do have to drink lots of water after taking it though.  the thirst doesn't seem to stop. I didn't think I had clusters until the doctor did several tests and said that they were the only possible cause left. I just wanted to share that. I know what you all are going through, I am truly sorry.  I hope you can find peace soon. Thanx again.  
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2008 at 2:11pm by Goodness »  

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Re: It worked!!!!
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 2:27pm

Hi Good,

Sorry for the trauma. We can all relate.

Now then, do I understand that you are taking Zomig PILLS, didn't know they made 'em? Way too slow my friend. Get thee the 5 mg nasal spray. I use as my last resort rescue med. At onset or close
to I can abort nearly every time. Limited usage as directed by neuro since it constricts EVERY blood vessel in your body. Not a good thing
in the long term.

As I said, this is my last resort. Verapamil is my preventive (480-720 mg/dy) depending on cycle. It's pretty effective. Oxygen is the gold standard. Non rebreather mask, 15-25 lpm (I get by with less, most advise these amounts). Minimal side effects, cheap (especially compared to the triptans (Zomig, Imitrex...), quick, painless, easy. You don't mention it, so I am.

Energy drinks with LOTS of caffeine and taurine (Red Bull, Wired (my fav), NOS, Monster, et al) have been a godsend (even STRONG coffee). Chugged at first sign of a hit can abort with no other efforts...really remarkable, if you haven't tried, you gotta.

Just quick thoughts off the top of my head. Catch up on reading the info here.

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 4:06pm

Get some oxygen.

potter

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 6:15pm

How often do you get them?

12-16 hours is not unheard of to my knowledge, but it's a very long time for CH. Also if you're sensitive to sound, it's uncommon, but again not unheard of.

However, it doesn't really matter if it's clusters or not. The main thing is that you have found relief. I'm sincerely happy for you Smiley

- All the best and PFDAN,
Rosa

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 7:29pm

Glad it's working for ya.
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 10:37pm

12-16 hours?? buddy smacking you around like a rag doll. man i thought i had it tough. IMetrex works good too although i havnt used it in a long time, good luck. Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 9:12am

please like the other's said get some oxygen and the right flow and mask, and energy drinks . these two can abort alot of attcks.
i have taken zomig tab and they do work but like you said you have to time it right. the nasal spray or oral disintigrating forms work faster and give you more wiggle room.
i can't imagine a 12 hour hit mine run 3-4 hours at the worst. i too get a bit sound sensitive at times during an attack but i always felt that visual and audio sensitive for me is really more of wanting a sensory reduction since everything else is in overload.

glad you have found some help, make sure to thank your friends for understanding and helping and also hug and kiss your wife.

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:47am

jon019 wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 2:27pm:
Zomig PILLS, didn't know they made 'em? Way too slow my friend.

Yep they do make 'em and they're what I've been using for five years.  They work for me in about 17-25 mins.  Not too much slower than a trex injection and not as many reoccurances.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Robert Jr.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 8:27pm

There have been many studies done on cluster headaches. I thank my wife for helping me. She did extensive research on these headaches after I had suffered excrusiating pain for a year. She came up with a regimin for me that has actually worked. It has been found that many people who experience cluster headaches have low levels of magnesium. My wife put together a combination that works like a charm. Here are the brands and doses I use: BLUEBONNET Magnesium Plus B-6 Easy to Swallow Capsules 400 mg, NOW Feverfew (an herb that works alot like aspirin)400 mg, and NOW B-2 100 mg.  After taking this regimin for a month and a half I am headache free. It's like a whole new world for me. This combo gets to the root of the problem to get rid of it rather than just treat the symptoms. Try it, it can't hurt...and if it works pass it on to others.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 1:27pm

Quote:
This combo gets to the root of the problem to get rid of it rather than just treat the symptoms. Try it, it can't hurt...and if it works pass it on to others.

Good advice, however this combination does not work for everyone.
Wished it did.

Quote:
This combo gets to the root of the problem

I dont believe it's that simple. Undecided   Have you researched here

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
or here
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

all the best
thebb Smiley
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Robert Jr.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 9:21am

Have you went to the doctor to have your magnesium levels checked? In most CH patients their magnesium levels are low. IV magnesium works quite well to stop a headache in it's tracts. Feverfew is an herb that has been used for centuries for headaches and other pain related illnesses. It got it's name because it was first used to treat fevers. It is known for preventing platelets from releasing inflammatory substances. Feverfew also reduces the body's production of prostaglandins made in the body and involved in inflammation. Prostaglandins help to regulate blood pressure, blood vessel tone and temperature. All of these help reduce headaches.   I am a Registered Nurse and the Director of Surgical and Pediatrics. I am trying to get as much information as I can to pass on to my own doctor so she can help more of her patients. All I know, so far, is what has worked for me and what hasn't. Meds cover up the problem and are sometimes helpful but aren't always the solution. As a Nurse I've been looking for the solution.  For me personally, Magnesium, Feverfew, and B-2 are working better than anything I have tried over the past year.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 4:17pm

Quote:
As a Nurse I've been looking for the solution.

Good job, keep up the hard work and dont be keepin it to yourself. Kiss
We all are trying to do the same. Smiley
the more you know Cool
thebb

IP Logged

danaj60
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 11:06am

I am new to the site.  I am a 48 year old woman who has suffered from first Migranes since the age of 18 and now Clusters.  My last cluster lasted 8 months - 3-6 headaches per day. I had two blisful pain free years after that, and now am into another cluster.  Eight years ago, I found relief for the first time in my life - with Imetrix.  However, as you all know, we can only use the shot two times a day. That and the fact that my chest would tighten up and I would suffer  anxiety for fear of having a heart attack.  I then started prednisone and was on high doses for months at a time.  Of course, this causes all kinds of side effects. I use 100% oxygen at the onset and this does help.  I have also tried with some success. radio pulsating treatments and I am considering the Medtronix electrical implants.  Has anyone had either of these proceedures, and what was your result?  Also, does anyone know if the Magnesium/Feverfew/B-2 concoction will interfer with Prednisone?  I did take feverfew on a daily basis for a year, but then the headaches came back.  I want to get to the point I don't rely on the prednisone.  Please help!

IP Logged

Robert Jr.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 5:29pm

Have your doctor check your magnesium levels. If they are low I am guessing the Magnesium/Feverfew/B-2 combo will probably help you. Also, ask your doctor about the predisone. Sorry, I wouldn't know because I don't take that.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 7:02pm

Quote:
Also, does anyone know if the Magnesium/Feverfew/B-2 concoction will interfer with Prednisone?

Good question for the doc.
Quote:
I want to get to the point I don't rely on the prednisone.  Please help!

You can do that. Keep on looking. There are many other things out there that beat pred.
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!