Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OMG more Prednisone? (Read 1895 times)
DeStijl
CH.com Veteran

Lubbock, TX
OMG more Prednisone?
Sep 24th, 2008 at 12:28am

OK. Neuro agrees that my Verapamil was way too low at 120mg of SR per day. So he gives me another Pred taper of 80 for 4 days and down by 10 every 4 days. I am eating my family out of house and home and I don't think I ever peed as much in my life. This is my 3rd round of Pred this year. How much of this stuff can one take and keep their fridge full and muscles from aching?

Neuro says we'll try just uppping the Verap to 240/day. Now that's not much of an increase if you ask me. If it isn't working when the Pred stops I sure as hell ain't taking any more steroids while we increase it again. Bleh.

I am still getting small hits of k 2-3 throughout the day. with constant shadows all day for 2 weeks now. I have never experienced the non-stop shadows before. An energy drink will kick it out for a couple of hours but it comes right back.

I am also quite worried about my right side. I have always been a lefty, but even as I have the constant shadows on the left, my right eye, temple and neck are beginning to shadow as well. My cycle normally stops at the onset of summer. Here it is the end of summer and they are still going. Bleh! Any ideas as to why my right would start now while on heavy steroids and prevents?

https://www.facebook.com/eric.mcgaha  
IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Re: OMG more Prednisone?
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 8:53am

You need to talk to the Doc about the Verapamil.   I don't get any relief until I hit 720 day.  I've tried to back off and go to 360 a day and I get slammed every time.  As for prednisone, It has never worked to break a high cycle for me(chronic). The only steroid that worked for me  was dexamethasone(would not recomend it)  and I was a zombie for weeks.  I am sure someone else will chime in with their opinion and experiences.  Best of luck.  Wishing you some pain free time.

Regards,

Malcom

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 9:31am

sorry to hear you are suffering. I have done the pred. thing MANY times. I have found it helps a bit to eat alot of raw veggies. (green peppers, turnips , etc) and to stay as ACTIVE as possible, that helps relieve the muscle aches a bit. Use and BURN that excess energy!!!!!!!   Good luck,,,Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:14pm

How much pred is too much is probably a very individual thing.  Surely your Dr needs to be monitoring that one.  The long terms effects of pred are something to be concerned about.  But balancing that against the beast is an individual thing.

On the Verapamil front, I agree that 120mg is a very low dose.  Going to 240 may or may not help.  One other thing you may consider is switching to the regular release and taking it multiple times a day.  It worked much better for me.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 2:34pm

Bob Johnson (as he always does) posted some great info on Verapamil in this thread: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 4:19pm

I didn't get any adverse effects (knocks on wood) from Pred, and I took it for 4 months. At least, nothing that I notice. I did get a total elimination of symptoms, though, when I was on 40mg per day or more.

Verapamil, on the other hand, was a whole different story. No help at all at 480mg and horrible side-effects. Be careful about taking too much of it. Brachycardia is a clear and a potentially very serious complication.

- Best regards and PFDAN,
Rosa

IP Logged

DeStijl
CH.com Veteran

Lubbock, TX
Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 10:28pm

Thanks for the info y'all. My BP was pretty good last visit. We'll see in 2 weeks if this verpamil at 240 is gonna help. If I could talk my work into letting me keep an O2 tank in the work truck I'd just get rid of the stupid drugs all together. But that is about as likely as winning the lottery in Botswana without playing. Stupid state vehicle rules.

The Pred killed all the symptoms last 2 times. This time the dose is higher with no relief. I am going to call the Doc and suggest we increase the Verap while I'm still on this ineffective pred taper. See if he'll go on up to the limit. He said that if it failed he wanted me on Lithium. I'm not too sure I want to be on another preventative right now. After that diabolic escapade with Topamax I thought I would kill me some stethoscopes. This one will do it for me. Got my O2, Triptans, energy drinks, and ice packs and that's all I need nothing else....oh and this lamp and that's all I need nothing else....oh and this ping-pong paddle game and that's all I need nothing else....

hehe STAY AWAY FROM THE OIL CANS....

IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

It's always darkest before
the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 9:49am

I have had way too much pred through the years.  Just ask my teeth (and neuro).  I have always tended to have IV solumedrol (pred) and also many 10 day tapers that ended up being upped to 20 days with a few days off and then pred again.  My teeth are so bad now that I look like a crack addict (no dental until recently but still have to save big bucks to look ok again) I haven't really noticed anyone else complaining about teeth as bad as mine.  Bad teeth do run in my family, but my are the most extreme.  So I believe it's the combo of genes AND steroids.

The reason for my rant?... just beware is all.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
taratheking taraann77 taraann1977 peachypie77 imjustpeachypie  
IP Logged

DeStijl
CH.com Veteran

Lubbock, TX
Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 9:47pm

This will be my last pred taper ever. Seeing as how this one isn't working at all. Neuro gave it to me hoping it would kill it while the new dosage of Verapamil took over. I fear that it will not be sufficient either. My teeth have always been crappy. I had most of my front teeth knocked out when I was a teenager. I have a 3-unit ,and a 4-unit bridges for front top teeth. Smiley 80mph hockey pucks with no mask hurt just a little bit.

The pred is killing my muscles. So stiff and achy all the time now. Only a week left on them. I'm going to totally detox for a while to try to get some semblance of order to these hits. Stupid meds jacked my cycle up all kinds of crazy this round. So weird this year it's getting really hard to keep an accurate journal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!