Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exersize and CH? (Read 1772 times)
superhawk2300
CH.com Hall of Famer

New Berlin, WI
Exersize and CH?
Sep 27th, 2008 at 11:14am

I want to know the personal experiences of people regarding exersize and their CH. It seems it could be a trigger for me, but I want to know as much as I can so perhaps I can still workout if this current thing I am going through turns into a cycle.

Thanks in advance gang! I REALLY need to start working out again!

WWW 1107217852  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Exersize and CH?
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 11:24am

A topic which pops up about every 6-months....
----------
Lancet. 1999 Sep 18;354(9183):1001-2.
Comment in:
Lancet. 2000 Jan 8;355(9198):147.

A new cluster headache precipitant: increased body heat.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Exercise, a hot bath, or elevated environmental temperature provoked cluster headaches, within 1 h, in 75 out of 200 patients. This new observation accords with recognised precipitants--alcohol, histamine, and gyceryl trinitrate--perhaps via generalised vasodilatation or hypothalamic activation.

Publication Types:
Letter

PMID: 10501368 [PubMed]
===========

The other side of the coin: a few people find that exercise will help reduce, even block an attack. My first doc who Dx me suggested fast walking as a potenial abortive.

I assume exercise works for the same reason that the oxygen routine works.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008 at 11:28am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 12:04pm

fast walking, sprinting a block or so, and sit ups on a slant board, have all helped me -  but it could just be they give me something to do that keeps me out of trouble while gettig hit, lol.

Unrelated, but I have also found that when I do the 12 hour fasts before blood tests, that seems to lower the intensity of hits during that time.

Charlotte
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008 at 12:05pm by Charlotte »  

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 1:10pm

Exercise has never set off a CH for me...but, people vary. Now...the hot baths/showers make my CH worse when in cycle. It's fall now, and I'm seeing more and more people in cycle at this time..just observing. To all of you who are in cycle, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Embarrassed

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 5:36pm

Excercise has never triggered an attack for me and I'm a regular gym rat. Before I discovered the joys of oxygen, imitrex etc., I'd go for a hard 30 minute run when I felt an atttack coming. I could often times substantially reduce a hit that way. I gotta say oxygen is a whisker more convenient and a hell of a lot more effective. Wink

Just one more way the beast won't treat any two of us the same.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 7:51pm

I mountain bike, I know, we all know this, but it is tough being on Verapamil and biking. Pace yourself.

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 10:06pm

Barry is so right about the verapamil. My daughter has CH and is a competitive swimmer. She found she couldn't complete a meet or practice on high levels of verapamil. She became very dizzy and her times were off. She is on 320 now and doing fine although she will take her meds after practice int he morning.

Swimming has been great for her. the cold water seems to stop any CH.

Charlotte

cash5542  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 8:21am

well i don't exercise much but i have noticed when i'm climbing around on a load and doing physical work i usually don't get hit. i noticed in previous cycle when i did flooring i would always get hit after 20 minutes into the ride home. i could run jackhammers all day bust up tile with a sledgehammer, be around all that demo dust and be fine until i went home. of coarse some days i'd get hit all day. if that was the case i would usually call in sick. being a truck driver i don't have to worry about coworkers much anymore.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

MaxPayne
CH.com Veteran

x0|Oslo|Norway||0|0|
Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 8:43am

I quit working out when I have a cycle. Not because the exercise trigger HA's. The HA comes later when the endorphines are released and relaxation comes. At least that is what I believe happens. I can abort HA's doing push ups at onset, even the ones I feel will be k6-10. Usually I have 3 -4 hits a nite during the middle of a cycle. 2 small ones and the hammer wakes me up the third/fourth time usually around 07, and that's when I hit the floor...

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 9:33am

While in cycle, I am sure to get hit about ten minutes after I finish exercising.  I'm fine during but once I stop I'm done for.  Even brisk walk will trigger a HA. 

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 10:14am

I don't exercise on a regular basis, but it is a trigger for me.  Last kip 7 was triggered when I was hiking and climbing a steep hill.

Beth
who should not use this as an excuse to not exercize

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!