Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello (Read 1613 times)
linda
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hello
Sep 30th, 2008 at 1:28pm

Hi, my name is Linda, I came across this site and was shocked to see how many people suffer from these horrible clusters. I started getting them 3 years ago. Normally, I get them twice a month. More if I drink alcohol and don't get enough sleep. I have been on Prednisone for about two years, at first I did what I was told to do and took the pills for 5 days. I was still getting them! I now take the pills when I start to feel the cluster coming on, I only take 30mg and normally it will be gone by the next day. I have found that I can't lose weight, in fact I have gained, even though I workout 6 days a week. I really wish there was a magic pill out there that would help. I dread taking these pills, but have no other choice. I feel for everyone on here, when the pain hits, there is no relief.

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Re: Hello
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 1:35pm

To make sure that I understand you. You get 2 headaches a month? How long do they last and what do you do when you get one?, like pace back and forth, go to bed in the dark etc. Who diagnosed that they were clusters?

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 1:37pm

Hi Linda.   Nice name.  LOL

Pred. is almost universally known as a drug that makes one gain weight.  It is hard to lose that weight too, once it creeps up on you.  Also, alcohol is a known trigger for CH, so you may wnat to stay away from it when you're in cycle.

You don't say if you have been diagnosed, but please ask your Dr. for oxygen.  There is a link to the left of here on it and you can print it out and take it to your Dr.  It's our number one abortive around here.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 1:45pm

Hello and welcome. You do have other choices that prednisone. Prednisone should not be taken as a preventative or for long periods of time. Many side effects ,including weight gain.It is a transitional medication for CH.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

linda
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 1:48pm

My regular MD told me they were clusters. They have gotten so bad that I went to the ER. At their worse, I do sit, rock and cry. If I don't take the Prednisone, they can last for many days. I hope I was able to answer your questions. I'm new at this message board.
I will talk to my Dr. about oxygen, thank you Linda

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 2:49pm

Welcome Linda, I see on your last post that you stated your HA can last for many days,  I am a chronic clusterhaed and always have a mild HA(shadow/phantom).  I was just wondering if this is what you meen. 
  Stay away from the pred it souldn't be used long term even though doctors will perscibe it.   good luck and keep reading    Phil

IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 3:30pm

hI lINDA!
wELL THE GANG ARRIVED BEFORE ME, BUT THEY HAVE WELCOMED YOU NICELY AND GIVEN YOU SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 7:41pm

Hi Linda.  Welcome to the family.  You will find all kinds of info here.  Keep on reading.

Hugs,

Jen

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

flipperlips 100000247863039 pjtimmer@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!