Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Expired Meds? (Read 2266 times)
Sylvan
CH.com Veteran

Greenwood Lake NY/NJ
Expired Meds?
Oct 26th, 2008 at 2:59pm

I may have to start using a preventative again, but my old neuro doesn't take my insurance and my GP retired. Don't want to start all over with new docs if i don't have to.  Especially since i am still hoping that it was a one time hit and not the start of another cycle. Don't want to start medicating and everything unless i actually need it.

I still have a decent supply of both verapamil and lithium from my last episode (2004) but it expired in 2006.

Anyone know if those meds are safe to use after expiration and/or if they are still as effective?

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Re: Expired Meds?
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 3:26pm

In my experience, most meds are still safe, after expiration.  Most also have a longer shelf life than listed.  It is listed under the CYA (Cover Your Ass) idea.

I have used meds that are three years overdue, but many DO loose some of their potency after a while.  A lot of the potency issues depend on how and where they were kept (temperature, humidity, etc.).

YMMV

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

TarHeel-blues
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

matthews nc
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 4:22pm

what if you start taking the old meds and you dont see any results,,,is it gonna be because they arent the right combo any more or because they are old?thats the only thing that would bug me about the situation ..but i guess if you take them and they work then its like the kids like to say "its all good",,,would prob still be a good idea to find a new neuro and make an appointment so at least you wont have this problem again.

-jason-

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:01pm

I, too, have taken expired meds when I was without insurance.  What Chuck said is true, it depends upon the conditions they were stored.  Sooner or later, you'll need someone to prescribe "fresh" meds for you. 

Can you look into a free clinic or one that takes payments on a sliding scale?  Neither of those meds are tremendously expensive.

Wishing you well,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Sylvan
CH.com Veteran

Greenwood Lake NY/NJ
Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:17pm

Thanks everyone!

I do plan on finding a new GP and a new neuro if necessary, i just don't want to go through the hassles of convincing 2 new docs and probably repeating all the useless tests etc from last time while they try to decide if it's something else.

I do have insurance, just not the same one i had then - new job  - so i know i can afford the meds if i can get the scrip. 

I mostly want to put it off. Hoping it doesn't happen again. It's been 1 full week since the last hit. Not much point in starting meds until i know that it is an actual cycle, not an isolated hit.

I am also strapped for time and $ right now as this is the start of my busiest time at work and i'm in the middle of some pretty extensive dental work. Had 6 teeth pulled in preparation for dentures which i'm being fitted for this week, then more oral surgery and lots of adjustments once the dentures are in place.

Just typing this made me wonder if the dental surgery may have prompted the hit? Surgery was about 4 weeks ago and i did have a bad reaction to the oxycodone they gave me for that pain. No HA, but majorly dizzy. I just started eating whole food again too. Last sunday night was the first time i ate real meat in almost 4 weeks.   Hit was 3am monday.

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:26pm

I used six year old Prednisone and it worked just as well as when it was new.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 7:57am

IF the meds have been stored under reasonable conditions (no extremes of temp, humidity,etc.) you  should be O.K. I've heard one academic researcher and one drug mfg. representative say that the expiration date is required by the FDA and that the mfg. really have little data to forecast life of most meds.

From personal experience, only ergotamines lose impact with time.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 1:51pm

I've used trex over 2 years expired. I'm still here.
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 2:20pm

Sylvan wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 2:59pm:
I still have a decent supply of both verapamil and lithium from my last episode (2004) but it expired in 2006.
Anyone know if those meds are safe to use after expiration and/or if they are still as effective?

They're almost certainly not as effective - everything deteriorates with age.  But they might do just fine, anyway.

Don't use expired antibiotics; particularly tetracycline (including doxycycline).

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

wewcaj
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 5:01pm

I actually called the neuro I used to see who is into phar. research now about this very issue when my clusters started back about three weeks ago. His answer was the same as most here. They may loose a little strenght but will be ok to take.

IP Logged

Sylvan
CH.com Veteran

Greenwood Lake NY/NJ
Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 7:42pm

Thank you all! I will keep them ready and waiting.

It's now 7 days PF and i'm really starting to hope it was not the start of a cycle, but i'm still taking my herbal prevents just in case and avoiding triggers.

I have managed to wake up at exactly 3:11 am every night this week though with the feeling of "ok - here it comes", but it never did.  Tonight will be a telling one. It's gonna snow and snow has always been one of my triggers.

PF days and night to all of you!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!