Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It is time again (Read 5193 times)
jmc1106
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

It is time again
Nov 2nd, 2008 at 5:50pm

My husband is episodic, and goes through a cycle every 1-1/2 to 2 years. Thanks to this board, we are now set up with a couple of tanks of O2 in the closet and a stash of Imitrex in the cupboard so we know we are ready when it hits. He's been in cycle for a month and a half now, but this is the first time I don't feel totally helpless, sick with worry, and out of control. I am so grateful for this group, we would have never known how to deal with this, and searched for the right doctor without your help. If are the supporter of an episodic clusterhead, this is all new and you are feeling helpless, just keep reading and sharing, and know that knowledge is power and you can beat this...or at least learn to live and deal with it much better for a few months.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: It is time again
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 6:53pm

What A great post.  Keep up the positivity JMC...you and your husband are gonna be all right.   Wink

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:16am

Ya, and dont forget to put the coffee on. Wink You guys sound like your kicking the demon around pretty good. I like that. Smiley If you need anything though,were all here, and love to kick the demon as well.
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 5:25pm

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love it when a supporter and sufferer team up!!!!!!
It's the best defense.

Thanks for the post, Sweetie...

Jackie

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 5:34pm

Supporters ROCK Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 6:01pm

Ahhhhhh, the power of positivity.  I love it.

Hugs,

Jen

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

flipperlips 100000247863039 pjtimmer@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

jmc1106
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 6:13pm

I do have a question though, if any of you have been through this. We started with Prednisone, which unfortunately didn't do the trick this time, but also Verapamil which knocked it down to one cluster every 2-3 nights for about 3 weeks. The last two weeks however, it decided to ramp it up to 3 times a day. I wonder if he needs to be on a higher dosage of the Verapamil. He is taking 240 mg...do you ever find that more is needed after a few weeks, even if it started out working?

Still doing good and I know we'll kick it again, but hubby is starting to look TIRED.

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 6:40pm

The last time Phil tried the pred taper it didn't do a whole lot for him.  That was maybe a month or two ago.  He just started it again and it's helping a bit.  Damn beast seems to be very selective as to what it will let beat it down and when.  Sometimes things work one time and then the next time nothing.

Keep hanging tough.

Jen

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 6:43pm

240mg of Verap is low some people here dont find relief until they reach 720mg you will have to check with your doctor because there are side affect with higher doses so dont up it until your hubby asks the doc.
   Hope this helps,    Phil Cool

IP Logged

Angie
CH.com Alumnus

Supporter Forever

|Bracebridge|Canada|
Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 8:35am

jmc1106 wrote on Nov 3rd, 2008 at 6:13pm:
I do have a question though, if any of you have been through this. We started with Prednisone, which unfortunately didn't do the trick this time, but also Verapamil which knocked it down to one cluster every 2-3 nights for about 3 weeks. The last two weeks however, it decided to ramp it up to 3 times a day. I wonder if he needs to be on a higher dosage of the Verapamil. He is taking 240 mg...do you ever find that more is needed after a few weeks, even if it started out working?

Still doing good and I know we'll kick it again, but hubby is starting to look TIRED.

Barry started at 240 worked for about a month then he went to 360 and then 480mg.

This new cycle of his he went right away to 480mg but had problems so he had to back down to 240 and slowly come up to 480mg.

It is working well right now.

Hope this helps, but everyone is different, have him see his doctor first.

Angie

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 12:48pm

Hi,

I used 400mg of Verapamil last cycle and was very successful with it.  The trick for me was to switch to the regular release formulation and take it three times a day.  I just didn't get the same results with the sustained release.

Also, ramp up and down again slowly.  It really helps with the side effects...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

jmc1106
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 2:29pm

Thanks for the responses! We are waiting to hear if it's okayed with the doctor.

IP Logged

Squirrel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Wisconsin
Reply #12 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 11:27am

It's that time again here also.  My husband started getting the headaches again (last time was almost three years ago) when we were on vacation in Vegas in the middle of September.  Unfortunately, I'm not feeling very optimistic.  There don't seem to be any doctors in the area who are familiar with cluster headaches, and my husband isn't finding much relief.  The oxygen (new to us) does help sometimes, but the attacks are getting more and more prevalent with each passing day.  The medicine prescribed is $35/pill and he had been taking 2 per day, but we're SO out of money!  It seems as if this disease could destroy us in a matter of weeks.  I can't watch him suffer any more.  Not only are the clusters destroying him, they are destroying me.  I feel weak - hell, I'm not even the one in pain!  What if this doesn't end?  What if it becomes chronic?  I'm SO tired, and I can't even imagine what my husband is going through.  Any advise?

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #13 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 3:41pm

Hi
I'm sorry you and hubby are having such a hard time.

However, there are things you can do.  Start by reading everything you can.  Education is power.  There are 'home remedies' that can help....hot coffee, energy drinks (Red Bull) ice packs, strenuous exercise to abort, etc.  You have to experiment to see what works for him.  If you stay busy trying to help you won't feel nearly so helpless.  Make a plan for what he needs from you during and after an attack.  Try not to panic.  As horrid as these attacks are they are not terminal and will pass.

Tell us more....what meds. is he using, is he getting on the 02 at the first sign of attack, etc.

You are not alone.  We're here to help.  Talk to us.  You all CAN get through this.  

Jackie

Jackie

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #14 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 9:40pm

Hi Squirrel.  Sorry to hear that you and hubby are having a rough go of it. 

Listen to Jackie, that lady really know her stuff.  She had helped me in so many ways. 

One thing I want to add.  Make sure that you are taking some "me" time.  Take a break.  Meet a friend for coffee, take a bubble bath, go for a walk.  Whatever you choose.  We supporters all need a break once in awhile from fighting the war.

Settle in and read, read and read some more.  You will find something that helps.

Hugs,

Jen

IP Logged

jmc1106
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #15 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 7:02pm

My husband's started up mid-September too, something in the air... A couple of things we have found: Half an Imitrex does as much good as a full tablet (100 mg) so we split them and that gives us 18 pills instead of 9 with each order. Also, a couple of times a Prednisone blast knocked the clusters right down. A couple of times it hasn't, but verapamil has helped. Our doc just gave permission to up it to 320mg per day, and it seems to be helping. That $25 dollar mask advertised here under "Oxygen Info" has been a GODSEND! My husband likes the snorkel-type attachment rather than the mask, and it is stunning how much better that works that the wimpy little non-rebreather mask we got from the oxygen supply company. He usually gets relief within 5 minutes instead of the 20 it was taking before. Sometimes a really bad one takes longer, but he has never had "the look" of going past unbearable in his eyes since we started using it.

It's hard, sometimes I have felt overwhelmed and slept out on the couch just so I wouldn't have to see what I knew would be happening that night. Makes me feel guilty, but also lets me recharge for a night and then pick back up again the next day.

Seriously GET THE MASK, and keep trying things until you find the right combination. You can do this!

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 7:54pm

Cheapest route to go for abortives is welders 02. Check out the 02 information posted on the meds board. Caffeine and 02 when strapped for cash and you dont need a doc. Get the mask though.
remain calm you will get through this. trust me. Kiss
all the best
the bb

IP Logged

kayarr
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1|Portland|USA|usa|36|63|OR,Oregon
Reply #17 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 9:38pm

jmc1106 wrote on Nov 7th, 2008 at 7:02pm:
It's hard, sometimes I have felt overwhelmed and slept out on the couch just so I wouldn't have to see what I knew would be happening that night. Makes me feel guilty, but also lets me recharge for a night and then pick back up again the next day.

It's hard to not feel guilty isn't it?  Remember that having two cranky people in the house due to lack of sleep and stress isn't going to help at ALL!   I am sure your husband doesn't resent your ability to get rest.  
Love Him and help with being a strong advocate for his cause.

I'm with you sistah!

Kimberly
(I have learned to sleep by him on the couch since that is where he is most comfortable with his tank and I don't wake up anymore at all when he is using his O2)
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2008 at 9:42pm by kayarr »  

Nothing is impossible!  Just believe!!!!!
kayarr2k  
IP Logged

Squirrel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Wisconsin
Reply #18 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 3:25pm

Wow - you guys are amazing!  I instantly felt better just seeing a response from a person who has actually experienced this before!  I'm not alone afterall!  Last episode was three years ago, but about two months earlier in the season.  First treatment this year was two ocipital blocks (which insurance didn't cover to a tune of $1500).  We were so disappointed that they didn't work, because the previous doc was sold on them.  Now I read that they really aren't all that successful, but for the 50% that they work for that's GREAT!  He's been on amitriptyline since September, and doc just upped the dosage to 80mg/day.  He's also found some success in Flova.  You probably all know about the troubles with insurance companies not covering these quanities of meds.  On O2 as well - I believe 12.  At first he wasn't on the non-rebreather mask and the amount of O2 was super low.  I'm sure going to have him try the mask that you suggested!  He's had a little relief the past two nights, and we're not sure what to contribute it to.  Recently he's tried the "water x 3" trick on this site, upped his amitriptyline, and is taking melatonin.  Hopefully he's reaching the end of this cycle.  Hubby has blocked himself off emotionally since these started.  It will be a long road rebuilding.  Seriously - THANK YOU for responding and sharing your tips.  I was feeling like the only one out here experiencing this.

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #19 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 5:05pm

Hi Squirrel (why do I hesitate to call you that Tongue)

Good to hear from you again.....been wondering how you all are doing.

So glad that things are improving some.  It's a rough road but if you'll put up a fight you all can make it.  There is living proof of that all over these boards.

Please keep in touch....we're always around to help.

Big Hugs to you,
Jackie

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #20 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 5:34pm

Hi Squirrel.

Glad to hear that your doing better.  My hubby tried the Ocipital blocks too and they didn't do a whole lot for him either. 

Once the cycle breaks your hubby will come back emotionally too.  Just give him time.

Hang in there lady and like Jackie said we're always here for you.

Big Hugs  Smiley

Jen

IP Logged

jmc1106
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 11:34am

Squirrel, we only got a regulator that went up to 8, but I was able to buy a reconditioned regulator from a fellow on the regular CH.com forum that goes up to 15. We can go in and get refills on oxygen for about $20 for an e-tank, which lasts for maybe 6 headaches. The problem is they come back in about 2 hours if he doesn't take Imitrex too, so then we have that problem with insurance. We are down to a headache every 2-3 nights again which is so much better. I don't know what we would have done without this board! It also helped that we found a doctor whose dad has clusters. She's only a PA, but the first person to take us seriously! Hang in there, it is getting better!!!

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 7:55pm

jmc1106 wrote on Nov 11th, 2008 at 11:34am:
but I was able to buy a reconditioned regulator from a fellow on the regular CH.com forum that goes up to 15.

I would love to know who charged you for a regulator! Angry

I have paid for over 30 regs to be refitted and gave them to folks here.

What cheap, nickle and dime son of a bitch is trying to make a profit on this site!!!!!!! Angry

I know you dont want to get in the middle of this, but I can express my anger with this happening here. Angry

...............................Jonny

IP Logged

jmc1106
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 8:26pm

Oh no! It was quite reasonable and of course I would expect to pay what this person had put into purchasing and possibly working on the regulator. It's been a few years, but I don't think I paid much more than the shipping cost. You are very generous to do what you have to help people at your own expense, but I certainly wouldn't expect it from anyone. I know what a financial burden CH can be, and don't feel taken advantage of in the least. Nice of you to be outraged though, I know you mean well.  Smiley

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #24 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 8:27pm

I didn't even catch that when I was reading it Jonny.  That just fries my ass and pisses me off beyond belief  Angry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!