Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The magic pill? (Read 7415 times)
AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Re: The magic pill?
Reply #25 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 9:40pm

For me the trick is not to cut the rubber band from the mask. In fact, when the rubber band loses its elasticity, it's time to discard the mask and get a new one. How else could I get a tight fit with the beard? If the bag gets completely flat I feel I can no longer inhale and it's time to crank up the flow rate.

It takes several hours to empty the tank, much longer than I can sleep at one piece. Furthermore, if I fell asleep, I would fall from the chair within minutes.

(Those afraid of falling asleep should hold a brick between their knees, it will wake you up when it falls on your toes  Cheesy)

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #26 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 12:24am

Melissa wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:21pm:
flow rate is necessary for some and vice versa.  It all depends on the breathing pattern and volume, right?

I think so too!  When in high cycle when CH activities are vicious, I need a high flow rate and fast hyperventilation (almost!!) for immediate relief.  Then I get re-attacked even after I kill a bad one completely, so I'd need to turn O2 down and continue breathing whereas not-so-bad ones in low cycle, especially at the earliest sign, are real easy to kill without a revenge re-attack.  To me fast ventilation is real WORK.  Although it really works well to abort a bad attack quickly, sometimes I find it too much when I'm half asleep, not to mention the waste of high flow rates without a demand valve.

Bottom line......we all have our own tricks to kill and avoid bad attacks.  Worth experimenting with pieces & parts, breathing techniques, flow rates, etc., to make O2 therapy most effective.

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #27 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 4:02am

Quote:
Ungweliante, I am sorry to hear that! I have times as well.. DHE...

It has been a really bad year for many of us and I hope it clears soon!

Rolo... Sad Tell him to try the pickles? Cool

Don't worry. Like I said, I'm living a normal life because of etoricoxib at the moment Smiley

I'm sorry you're not feeling great, though - hopefully things will get better soon.

Here's a Smiley for speedier recovery!

- Rosa

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #28 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 9:54am

I guess this is my question:

the normal tidal volume of humans is 1/2 liter.
normal resipation is 10-20 times per minute.

If we take the middle, 15 per min times the tidal volume, we get 7 1/2 lpm.  That's normal resting respiration.

Now - if we exercise, the muscles need more O2, the heart pumps faster, moving more blood through the lungs, and we breath quicker to get O2 to that increased volume of blood.
If we're at rest but breath quicker, do we raise the O2 level even though there isn't more blood moving through the lung or do we simply exhale most of that extra air without absorbing it?

If we are breating enough air to oxegenate the blood traveling through the lungs, can breathing faster, without increasing blood flow, force more O2 into the already oxegenated blood cells?
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2008 at 10:02am by Bob P »  

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 2:29pm

Bob,

I see clearly what you're saying. It’s pure guesswork on my part, but my assumptions would be:

Working with only the tidal volume leaves 90% of the ambient/CO2 laden air in the lungs. Deep breathing pure O2 brings up the overall concentration by swapping out the whole volume (well, almost). Rapid deep breathing further reduces the CO2 levels by flushing it out faster the the lungs can put it there.

Having this higher overall concentration of O2 in contact with all of the lungs surface area might increase the number of molecules exchanged to the blood stream - at a given blood flow rate – ending up with a higher blood saturation of O2.  

What I’m doing is trying to guess why it works for me, but it has really made a big difference in my abort times and peak pain levels – consistently.

So if all of my guesses are way off base, then it’s something else. I'm reasonably convinced that it’s not “all in my head” – or maybe it is actually.  Wink

Marc

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2008 at 2:31pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #30 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 2:50pm

All I know that is fast deep breaths and high flow O2 has made my abort times average 5 minutes...usually less. Wasting O2? Maybe, but it's worth it if I am.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #31 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 5:18pm

If it gives you benefit, it's not a waste.

Just trying to understand the mechanics of it (kind of like contemplating one's own navel).
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2008 at 6:41pm by Bob P »  

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #32 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 5:59pm

Oh please.....you haven't seen your navel in 10 years. Kiss

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 6:10pm

OK, that's squared away for now.

Let's talk about apnea......... Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2008 at 6:11pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #34 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 6:34pm

Bob P wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 5:18pm:
Just trying to understand the mechanics of it (kind of like contemplating one's own navel).

Yeah!!  We've gotta have some fun out of this!  I really enjoy this kinda discussion.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #35 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 6:42pm

Where did the term "half-assed" originate from?

5 months, 12 days till I'm a voluntarily unemployed guy like you Jimi.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2008 at 6:44pm by Bob P »  

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #36 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 6:49pm

Then you have to come visit.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

fly gas
CH.com Junior

No Good Deed Shall Go
Unpunishedd

Reply #37 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 7:51pm

35 years practice, for oxygen all I do is put the tube in the cylinder, and breath 100% as fast as it comes out, hold breath maybe 15 seconds, then repeat step one. No waste, I figger the idea is to get as much oxygen into the bloodstream as possible, as fast as possible. If it doesn't work, maybe 1/3 of the time, time for a hot shower, which works maybe 90-95% of the time. O yeah, half assed is a vulgarization from the word adz. The adz was an axe like tool, used to rough finish finish wood. Ole days, if you had the time or inclination, or bucks, wood on a hearth or mantle or beam would be finished on all sides. If you wanted to lazy out, you would just finish off the facing portions of wood, thus the term half adz, or...... Oh well, just into another episode, almost two years from the last. They call this a young man's disease, at least that is some small comfort... cheers!

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #38 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:11pm

Maybe part of the reason I can abort quickly with a lower flow rate is due to years of breath coaching for choir (9 years) and to keep my panic/anxiety disorder under control. Undecided

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:26pm

I vary my flow rates. I have a clustermasx and when I get the nighttime visits it is already involved, my flow rate starting out is 25lpm+, as relief comes my demand goes down dramatically. I finish the therapy at 15lpm and lower. I can sometimes get to the 02 quickly and get relief at 10lpm. I am tighter than a bulls ass in fly season so I try to hoard my 02 same as trex.
Whatever works for you is a good thing.
all the best
the bb

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:41pm

Quote:
my flow rate starting out is 25lpm+, as relief comes my demand goes down dramatically. I finish the therapy at 15lpm and lower.

Exactly bb, I love these O2 threads so much! I have learned tips I was unaware of and to the people that stop by and read this stuff (you know the ones that we never know of).

The people who come here and say I was here looking around 2 years ago and saw some interesting O2 info and went to the doc with the info here in hand.

Rolo. Smiley

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #41 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 9:41pm

Melissa wrote on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:11pm:
Maybe part of the reason I can abort quickly with a lower flow rate is due to years of breath coaching for choir (9 years) and to keep my panic/anxiety disorder under control. Undecided  

Yo Mel,

I couldn't sing if you spotted me the do...re...me...and certainly never have had singing lessons...but, I too abort at much lower levels than most, and I'm convinced it is the DEEP, slow breathing that CALMS me down and takes me to a "different" place, where the beast is unwelcome...

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #42 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 7:08am

From Wiki:

Quote:
In medicine, hyperventilation (or overbreathing) is the state of breathing faster and/or deeper than necessary, bringing about lightheadedness and other undesirable symptoms often associated with panic attacks. Counterintuitively, such side effects are not precipitated by the suffer's lack of oxygen or air, but rather, the hyperventilation itself reduces the carbon dioxide concentration of the blood to below its normal level, raising the blood's pH value, initiating constriction of the blood vessels which supply the brain, and preventing the transport of certain electrolytes necessary for the function of the nervous system.[1]

I'm still not sure how you get more O2 into the blood by breathing faster and not increasing the blood flow through the lungs at the same time.  Mayby you fast breathers are not raising O2 but decreasing CO2.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!