Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19
Send Topic Print
WHY don't we pay attention to this? (Read 134953 times)
MD from NC
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: WHY don't we pay attention to this?
Reply #200 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 9:31pm

Thanks Dennis

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #201 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 1:12am

Bump

Bad economy resulted in losses in most companies in my industry yet my business sales went up 35% and profits up 40%...

I attribute this entirely to not having to deal with CH... I am finally able to run my business year round (if I so choose) and not be off for months due to CH...

I am still on cloud nine over this therapy...wish it worked for everyone... and I selfishly hope it keeps working well for me Smiley

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Donna.m.har
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #202 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 7:47am

This is a post of rambling....thoughts I've entertained since last talking with you guys. 

I've been watching the progress of this thread and wish to applaud those of you who have partaken in this venture.  I guess venture is the right word because this has certainly been "a course of action that involves risk and uncertainty".

Jerry, Dennis, Paul......thanks for keeping this alive and for your frank and honest answers.  I really believe that this will eventually become a large study and research project, and it is you guys who have created a great deal of interest in it.  I couldn't believe it when I saw the number of "views" to this thread.

Paul, your dairy is a great tool. Don't lose it because it might be valuable to the medical professionals.  Is your own doctor still impressed?  Someone should put a bug in Goadsby's ear.

My son started his therapy last summer and is having sweet success with it!!  Last 2 cycles were "no shows".  Boy, was he surprised when his first test results came in.  He was 2 numbers from the bottom..big 6 ft. tall, muscular man.  Isn't it a shame that the word "testosterone" has such a negative effect on people?

Anyway.....just wanted to stop by and say Hello and keep up the good work.  There's such a long way to go yet.  Just keep rowing.  Maybe start a forum on this very subject.  Get the word out........create interest.

Thanks for being here for others....you're great!

If I can help in any way, e-mail me. 

Hugs,
Donna Har

Donna GurinHar  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #203 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 9:24pm

Nice to see you post again Donna,

I know of 11 others that are currently using Testosterone with various degrees of success...from fewer hits, reduced pain, and 4 which have had instant extended remission as soon as they started the HRT...and of course my wonderful experience too!

Glad to hear your son is doing well also.

What we really need is a new CH researcher to take a fresh look...no disrespect to the current researchers and their current lines of research, but there are not enough CH researchers period, to keep up with scientific approach testing new and emerging treatment options such as HRT, psychedlics, occipital treatments etc. 

...all of these have treatments have merit worth proving and improving for better treatment options. 

The CH phenomenon is as varied as the people who have them and multi discipline research by as many reseachers as possible will provide the most relief to the largest population of sufferers in the shortest timeframe.

How does a researcher get intersted in this type of CH work and what is in it for them?

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #204 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 10:10pm

Your optimism is appreciated, however it is probably naive. 
Research = $$$$$$ = Most affected/Fatal/Contagious, etc., and CH doesn't fit that bill.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #205 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 10:12pm

Donna.m.har wrote on Mar 18th, 2010 at 7:47am:
  Is your own doctor still impressed? 

Sorry I forgot to answer this question Donna. My doc is absolutely impressed.

My business partner's best friend is a doctor and he contacted me to find out about this whole hormone deal. He has now prescribed to three ch patients and two are doing fabulous and one has improved but not in total remission. He is also very impressed and is passing the word in the medical community here in Ontario.

P

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Donna.m.har
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #206 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 3:09pm

"How does a researcher get interested in this type of CH work and what is in it for them?

Paul"

I don't have a clue, but let's think about who would benefit most by such an accomplishment as to prove the relationship between CH, hormone distribution, the hypothalamus and whatever else might be involved. I would think that it would have to be someone not solely interested in the $, but also in the plight of the sufferer.  I am thinking an "educator".  Perhaps a neurology professor teaching in a hospital based university.

I know a young woman (who was an RN for Hospice until an unfortunate injury was inflicted upon her 2 years ago), who  was such a great patient advocate that she is now thinking about going for her Master's degree so that she can teach a specific attitude/treatment she would use if she was able to be a nurse again. Personal experience really motivates.  Mistreatment puts courage in the voice and spirit.

Know any journalists?

We must keep thinking...daring to be vocal....touching people.  I wish I knew the answer.  Brochures and fliers don't work...even in doctor's offices.  We've tried that.

We've tried several things, but just haven't hit the right button yet.

Any ideas out there?

I have a 13 year old grandson who is suffering from severe, disabling "migraine" headaches right now.  His father is my son who also started with "migraines" at age 12, which morphed into episodic clusters when he turned 17.  I guess I have a very selfish reason for pushing this, guys and gals.

Having lived with clusterheadaches for 28 years myself, I can speak first hand as well.

Here's something curious I've just read........offspring with cluster headaches whose mothers were low in testosterone during pregnancy tend to have index fingers that are as long or longer than their ring fingers. (Not necessarily the mothers tho)  They also use the artistic hemisphere of their brains more than those without CH, and are good in math..  This is true in my children....coincidence?

Pop quiz time.....LOL.

PFDN all.

Donna GurinHar  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #207 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 9:38pm

Donna.m.har wrote on Apr 22nd, 2010 at 3:09pm:
"How does a researcher get interested in this type of CH work and what is in it for them?

Paul"

I don't have a clue, but let's think about who would benefit most by such an accomplishment as to prove the relationship between CH, hormone distribution, the hypothalamus and whatever else might be involved. I would think that it would have to be someone not solely interested in the $, but also in the plight of the sufferer.  I am thinking an "educator".  Perhaps a neurology professor teaching in a hospital based university.

I know a young woman (who was an RN for Hospice until an unfortunate injury was inflicted upon her 2 years ago), who  was such a great patient advocate that she is now thinking about going for her Master's degree so that she can teach a specific attitude/treatment she would use if she was able to be a nurse again. Personal experience really motivates.  Mistreatment puts courage in the voice and spirit.

Know any journalists?

We must keep thinking...daring to be vocal....touching people.  I wish I knew the answer.  Brochures and fliers don't work...even in doctor's offices.  We've tried that.

We've tried several things, but just haven't hit the right button yet.

Any ideas out there?

I have a 13 year old grandson who is suffering from severe, disabling "migraine" headaches right now.  His father is my son who also started with "migraines" at age 12, which morphed into episodic clusters when he turned 17.  I guess I have a very selfish reason for pushing this, guys and gals.

Having lived with clusterheadaches for 28 years myself, I can speak first hand as well.

Here's something curious I've just read........offspring with cluster headaches whose mothers were low in testosterone during pregnancy tend to have index fingers that are as long or longer than their ring fingers. (Not necessarily the mothers tho)  They also use the artistic hemisphere of their brains more than those without CH, and are good in math..  This is true in my children....coincidence?

Pop quiz time.....LOL.

PFDN all.

Donna, great ideas.....

but, I was thinking of a different approach

....the hormone manufacturers certainly have an intestest in any application sales) of their product....the key to studies may be in their ability to grow their market a wee bit on a product already developed and marketed...

what would it cost for them to send out a memorandum to doctors indicating this probable headache/hormone relationship? and asking the medical community to undertake some trials and research?

P

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Donna.m.har
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #208 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 2:22pm

That is a very good idea, Paul, and sounds like a workable idea.

Someone very knowledgeable (like your own doctor who has been working with you on this) might want to contact such a source and explain the success that you, and a few others that you know, have had.

If he isn't interested, I'm not too shy to do some inquiring.  Making a few phone calls...writing a few letters. 

If they were to become interested and informed, they would probably send out sales reps. to doctors offices, etc.  This is one of the things that drug companies do...direct sales to the docs.

When I worked in doctors offices, we had rep's bringing in samples and literature, as well as great lunches, all of the time. They spend lunch time with the doctors and employees as a time for education about a new or improved product.

Is there still a chat room here?  Or on the OUCH site?  It would be interesting to get a group together and toss ideas around. 

Now that we have a some results, and a few people paying attention to this, let's not let it go by the wayside.

Any ideas on how to approach this or any other methods?

Donna GurinHar  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #209 - May 12th, 2010 at 10:12pm

Time for an update. It's been 4 months now and I'm still pain free.  Could it be the HRT?  Maybe.  That's the only real change I've made. 

Spring cycle - skipped!!!  Not even a shadow in months now.

1st time in years the beast has lost my address.

Smiley

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #210 - May 18th, 2010 at 11:58pm

DennisM1045 wrote on May 12th, 2010 at 10:12pm:
Time for an update. It's been 4 months now and I'm still pain free.  Could it be the HRT?  Maybe.  That's the only real change I've made. 

Spring cycle - skipped!!!  Not even a shadow in months now.

1st time in years the beast has lost my address.

Smiley

-Dennis-

I am so happy for you Dennis.

Regardless of the source of your skipped cycle, you must be so happy to have the break from the "routine" we are all acustomed to. 

You already know what I think about HRT.

Best wishes for a long term and well deserved remission. (as if any of us did not deserve a remission)...anyhow...enjoy life!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #211 - May 19th, 2010 at 12:17am

When I started the preventive meds I am on now, I went 3 years without headaches.  It is a wonderful feeling, isn't it?!!!  Oh, how I wish it had lasted, but I sure enjoyed the break!!!  It makes me hopeful to have another one some day.  Good luck.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Donna.m.har
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #212 - May 19th, 2010 at 11:46am

Whatever the reason, that's really great news, Dennis.  Sure hope it lasts!!

Donna GurinHar  
IP Logged

davidj35
CH.com Veteran

02 is my best friend

x0|LaGrange|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #213 - May 24th, 2010 at 12:57pm

I am trying RC seeds right now but once I get my insurance back sometime in June I will DEFINTLEY get my hormone balance checked. I just read through all 9 pages of this post and thanks to all who have been  trying this.

David

David Ellicott  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #214 - May 26th, 2010 at 10:02pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Try these guys. They might have something for you.

Potter

IP Logged

Openminder
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #215 - May 29th, 2010 at 5:09pm

This is very interesting and new to me. I was misdiagnosed for 39 yrs. and just found out about 3 weeks ago what this was. During the month before this last cycle began with actual attacks, my sexual desire dropped dramatically (no sex for a month) as well as during the cycle. outside of the cycle, there has never been a problem. infact it was more of the opposite. - I am responding fairly well to self treatment 9mg of melatonin every nite at 10pm

IP Logged

1961mom
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Eugene, Or
Reply #216 - May 31st, 2010 at 4:07am

davidj35 wrote on May 24th, 2010 at 12:57pm:
I am trying RC seeds right now but once I get my insurance back sometime in June I will DEFINTLEY get my hormone balance checked. I just read through all 9 pages of this post and thanks to all who have been  trying this.

David

So did I!  I couldn't put this post down...even after taking my 8mg of melatonin.  I've enjoyed reading this 2 year, 9 page post.  Somehow I'd missed all the research regarding hormones.  May have been due to the fact that I am female and subconsciously thought "this couldn't apply to me, I'm not supposed to have testosterone" and blew off this whole area.  Many friends have suggested menopause may have been the trigger and as I read this I thought "man could I have been delaying a possible treatment just because of the way research papers structure their opening statement towards males?"

I think I'll take my laptop to my next gynecologist appointment!

Thanking the Airline Industry for my borrowed quote
"Put your Oxygen mask on first, then assist others"
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?ref  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #217 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 10:06am

Just a little personal update.

Still on HRT and still pain free.

Four years ago I was at my highest weight ever and morbidly obese. I feel that some part of the equation for me was my CH zapping my mental and physical energy and I tended to stay in the house in a very sedentary reclusive lifestyle... and food was a great comfort during those long long CH cycles.

Fast forward to today... with the help of HRT for the CH and a lot of effort on my part, I am now 101 pounds lighter than then and I am fortunate to have enlisted an excellent certified personal trainer to visit my home three times per week in order to bring back a level of fitness that has been unknow to me since clusters hit 30 years ago.

My three weekly sessions are based on this format...45 minutes of cardio on the treadmill at minimum 3.5 mph (up to 8 mph)and inclined between 3 to 8%... 50 minutes of plyometrics interspersed with core training and some free weights and kettlebells thrown in for interest sake....followed by 15 minutes of cardio warm down on the treadmill.

My diet has been drastically modified ( by a certified dietition)and I love the new foods, eat 5 times per day and do not miss most of the "bad" foods that I have pledged to never eat again.

I considered a before and after pic, but the before pics are really too gross for public viewing...I never even realized that I was that big, until my transformation took place.

Anyhow, I have a new life and I am making the most of it and as Doctor Oz might say, my biological age is most likey significantly lower than my chronological age, whereas before I started this my biological age was a ticking timebomb and many years advanced beyond my chronological age (and I really did not care...due to the CH...it messed up my thought process so much)

Anyhow, I hope everyone finds something to provide relief of these horrible CH and please try and keep your selves active as I was becoming plagued with health issues (age 51) until I took control...something I should have never have let get so far off track in the first place.

Take care

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

davidj35
CH.com Veteran

02 is my best friend

Reply #218 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 10:39am

Wow Paul, what fantastic news. Your exercise regime sounds like mine only I can't afford a personal trainer LOL. I too have found being in better shape and eating better seems to help, at minimum with my self esteem. I am getting my insurance this week and I have a Dr's appointment set, however I am going out of cycle and I believe from what I have read that you really need to be in cycle for the hormone test to be accurate? Thanks for this thread it has been very informative.

David Smiley Smiley

David Ellicott  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #219 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 11:21am

davidj35 wrote on Jun 16th, 2010 at 10:39am:
Wow Paul, what fantastic news. Your exercise regime sounds like mine only I can't afford a personal trainer LOL. I too have found being in better shape and eating better seems to help, at minimum with my self esteem. I am getting my insurance this week and I have a Dr's appointment set, however I am going out of cycle and I believe from what I have read that you really need to be in cycle for the hormone test to be accurate? Thanks for this thread it has been very informative.

David Smiley Smiley

Thanks David.

Yes you will get the lowest testosterone levels when you are in cycle (if you are one of those that have hormone imbalance induced CH)...so it may be a bit of a gamble and if your results come in the mid normal range your doc may be hesitant to retest when you are in cycle in the future.

My tests fell 15 points when I went into cycle (putting me just below low normal)...but now with HRT I am above the high end of the normal range for a guy my age:)

I must caution that as you adjust to hormone treatment, there can be some personality changes, shorter fuse etc that the people around u will notice...this should be closely monitorred by the doctor and your family input should count as they see and experience what u may not notice as a change in yourself... when the correct dose is sorted out eveything should be the same old you...personality wise.

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

davidj35
CH.com Veteran

02 is my best friend

Reply #220 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 12:43pm

Thanks for the information Paul, as to the shorter fuse than I have already there will be no fuse  Grin.

David Ellicott  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #221 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 7:14pm

Great news Paul!  Glad to hear from you again, and gladder still you are getting hold of life again!  CH sucks the life right out of you if you aren't careful, taking all purpose from it so that you don't want to do anything constructive other than what must be done to maintain life and livelihood.

your comment about the changes in T levels when in cycle or not are something I've been noticing although I'm chronic.  When getting hit hard and often my levels seem to be lower, but when the beast is just cruizing along at a lower level my numbers have been in the normal range.  You've helped confirm what I plan to discuss with my Dr next week.

I did not find hormone therapy made my mood all that much worse.  Perhaps because knowing it was a probability I worked harder at keeping it under control, but I also found after a few days on it and the resultant lessening of CH my mood actually improved.  Right now I'm using it on a sporadic basis, using only when getting hit hard.  It has never totally knocked mine out, just lessened them significantly, so when they are at the lower levels I don't use the hormone.  I just don't see the need for using it when it is not doing anything constructive for the HA's.

Hope you will continue posting periodically sharing your success.  There are a lot of newbies that need to know CH can be beaten.

Jerry
May your PF days never end!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #222 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 9:57pm

Callico wrote on Jun 16th, 2010 at 7:14pm:
Great news Paul!  Glad to hear from you again, and gladder still you are getting hold of life again!  CH sucks the life right out of you if you aren't careful, taking all purpose from it so that you don't want to do anything constructive other than what must be done to maintain life and livelihood.

your comment about the changes in T levels when in cycle or not are something I've been noticing although I'm chronic.  When getting hit hard and often my levels seem to be lower, but when the beast is just cruizing along at a lower level my numbers have been in the normal range.  You've helped confirm what I plan to discuss with my Dr next week.

I did not find hormone therapy made my mood all that much worse.  Perhaps because knowing it was a probability I worked harder at keeping it under control, but I also found after a few days on it and the resultant lessening of CH my mood actually improved.  Right now I'm using it on a sporadic basis, using only when getting hit hard.  It has never totally knocked mine out, just lessened them significantly, so when they are at the lower levels I don't use the hormone.  I just don't see the need for using it when it is not doing anything constructive for the HA's.

Hope you will continue posting periodically sharing your success.  There are a lot of newbies that need to know CH can be beaten.

Jerry
May your PF days never end!

Thanks for your insights Jerry. I think after a few mood issues early on, I now have a more positive and upbeat attitude which may be because i am not currently suffering or perhaps the hormone has provided that extra energy boost both mentally and physically...i dont know.

Just a thought Jerry but if you only use when you are being hit hard you may talk to your doc about getting injections for a quick entry into the blood versus the gel which takes its time and can take a couple weeks to ramp up to max effectiveness (which varies from person to person as you have noted)...just a thought (and here in Canada I have heard the injections are cheaper).

Thanks for posting again Jerry and here is hoping you get the break you need and deserve.

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #223 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 5:42pm

still setting my personal remission records every day:)

p

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #224 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 5:50pm

I love it!  May it last forever!

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!