Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lucky me, after a 4 year remission they're back... (Read 1926 times)
Chollowa
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Lucky me, after a 4 year remission they're back...
Dec 3rd, 2008 at 5:46pm

and badder than ever. I was abruptly awoken from my state of sleep with an all too familiar feeling (but only stronger). I'm a week in and if history is my guide about 3 weeks away from the end of another cycle.

After going at a frequency of every 18 months, they took 4.5 years off and I thought maybe, just maybe they weren't coming back. I was wrong.

Oh well, I got my O2 and that seems to work like a charm for me.

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Re: Lucky me, after a 4 year remission they're back...
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 9:26pm

Hi Chollowa,
     Sorry to hear your stuff is back.  I was in remission for six years, I thought I was done forever, and the Mutha came back for a three month visit.
     Glad you got O2.  I went 35 years without it until this cycle.  Worked wonders.
                                   PFD's On Ya
                                        JPC

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 10:09pm

I had a 4 year vacation interupted early this year.  It turned out to be the worse cycle ever.  But it did end like all cycles in the past.  And yours will too

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 10:45pm

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my long remissions, it just seems like they wait until you start believing they're finally gone forever, then WAM! Yeah, this cycle will end too. Maybe the NEXT remission will be the one that lasts forever! Wink (God we're hopeless optimistics!)

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Chollowa
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 12:25am

Yeah, optimists is right...unless of course I'm in a cluster. I'm having a time of it, especially since my life has changed immeasurably in the last 4 years, so much more responsibility now, so many more people counting on me.

Oh well, the 02 is working and besides being grumpy and irritable on some occasions life still ain't that bad.

I mean they're just headaches right... Cheesy

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 2:15am

You have the right attitude, that's half the battle. 02 is a big part of the other half! Hang in there. Wink

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 3:29am

Sorry the beast decided to visit you again!  Like many others, this episode has caught me off-guard too after many years of remission (well, I stock piled meds tho).  My beast was alternating 24-month and 18-month vacations previously.

What I've learned this time is to treat each episode cautiously.  My usual 10-12 week cycle seems to be the thing of the past; this one has been dragging on for over 5 months up & down.  We episodics can have a lot of changes during remission (especially long ones).

Glad to hear O2 is working.  Hang in there!

IP Logged

lacuna
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 3:30am

I had a couple years without any and got hit a couple weeks ago,, i got one of those sleep apnea breathing machines that give constant pressure and that really knocked the devil down.   For me, the apnea is a big culprit for the trigger to set them off and wake me up.. but so far, using the machine  I have not been woken up by the bitch.

IP Logged

Chollowa
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 8:49pm

So, everything's been going fine with the O2, well everything up until today.

Last night the beast tried to visit 3 times, each time I knocked it down with O2. Well it came back at about 7:00 a.m. and I decided it was time to wake up. In the hours between 7 and 12 I did everything I could, I 02'd at least 6 times, I drank a ton of water, a red bull, took a hot shower, drank coffee, and just tried to do normal stuff to take my mind off of it.

The Beast was just not going to be denied, the pain was high 7-9 Kip and it lasted forever, seemingly coming and going as it pleased. I honestly think it was playing with me by the end, going away only to come back shortly therafter and come back with a vengance.

I finally got a couple hours of sleep and now I've been up since about 3:00 with heavy, heavy shadows.

Not a good day,  but like we all know this too shall pass.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 7:36am

Have you tried staying on the O2 a few minutes AFTER the CH goes away. Sometimes this helps it STAY away for a while longer (sometimes not). I stay on it at least two to three minutes AFTER the pain stops.

Sorry you're getting hit. But glad you had a long remission. Wishing you a short cycle.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

The next person who calls
it a migraine eats teeth

x0|London|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 8:31am

Hi Chollowa

Good advice from Barbara about staying on the 02 for a while after the pain stops, it really can stop rebounds sometimes. Do be careful not to fall asleep with it on though, a very bad habit of mine so I NEVER lie down at this point. Also make sure there is no elastic on your mask just in case you do!

There does seem to be an awful lot if us this is happening to this year and especially recently. Loads of new people, and lots of episodics getting hit after long remissions. I wonder why this is as we are not all in the same country so I can't see a connection???  Huh Huh

I was nearly 3 years clear and got slammed with a bad cycle in Aug/September which is early for me (seasonal Spring/Autumn normally) We had a very bad summer with lots of rain and no sun though so I attributed it to low light levels fooling the hypothalamus that it was autumn.

If it helps at all, even though I ALWAYS believe I am clear for ever when out of cycle, and even though it was quite a bad one, the 02 mostly worked and I had an armoury of various triptans for when it didn't.

Just when you think it can't go on any longer, hopefully that is when the cycle will "break", that is how it works for me anyway. I get desperately tired and start being unable to cope with everyday life, kids etc. I book the appointment to get the steroid course to give me a break from the pain and LO! the beast starts to withdraw.

I truly hope your cycle is not too long, and the peak not too long. For many, the peak means it REALLY is about to get better.

Hang in there and arm yourself with the weapons to fight with. You KNOW you can do this!

and then we all hope another long and lovely remission will come

Wendy
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2008 at 8:35am by pubgirl »  

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

Chollowa
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 12:11pm

Thanks for the support ladies. On the bright side of things I was actually able to sleep through the night last night without a hit, so I suppose that's a good trade-off especially considering that I'm at work.

On another note, I thank god for this site everyday because at least we know that you guys get it in a way that people that don't see you in pain, every day/night do. Thank you I don't know that I'd be a sane person without this place.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!