Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
when do you take your meds??? (Read 1336 times)
gus411
CH.com Newbie

Thanks!!!

x0|stony point|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
when do you take your meds???
Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:20pm

Just a general question to all when does everyone decide to take thier meds? I fluxuate between during a shadow when I have that gut feeling. And always when woken up. Just want to see if its tuff for everyone to decide when to takeem when your on a limited budget or limited meds

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Re: when do you take your meds???
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 9:04pm

as i understand you are using imitrex pills, which with such a slow action guessing when to take meds is well just that guessing. you might ask for injectable. it is much easier to know when you need it.

IP Logged

gus411
CH.com Newbie

Thanks!!!

x0|stony point|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 9:17pm

I'm sorry should have been more specific I do take the shots but until next friday my GP for some reeson didnt give them to me even though I asked repeatedly for them and they kinda blew me off. Sonow I have relpax and meltak and I'm so used to having the shots around.

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 9:33pm

I get back on my prevent (Verapamil) when I have more than 5 days in a row with a kip 5 or higher. I use my o2 to abort until the Verapamil gets into my system, up to two weeks.

This cycle started August 15, and is here for awhile. I usually go, if my history repeats, one year in cycle, then up to eight months out.

I have all my artillery on standby for when the beast comes knocking I am armed and ready.

Thank-you CH.com for that one! Wink

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 9:37pm

To me it varies, and I've learned to handle this beast depending on its activities.  Imitrex pills work well for me and relatively quickly, when I know I have enough time to let it kick in.  Imitrex injections work almost instantaneously for a suicidal degree of pain, which hasn't happened in years.  So if the attack is full-blown and I couldn't stop it for some reason, a small amount of injectable can give me immediate relief.

While the beast isn't too mad, all I need is O2.  The sooner I get to O2, the easier it is to kill.  Even when I don't know if the low-grade pressure/pain is pre-CH, I hit O2 anyway to see if it clears my head.   During high cycle, O2 alone knocks the beast unconscious, but often it revives in an hour.  I need to take an Imitrex pill before I suck on O2 or hit O2 again for the re-attack.  I'm one of the lucky ones to have CH that takes a little time until it peaks and O2 works real well for.

One shot of Imitrex isn't enough for some whereas 1/3 is plenty for me.  Never tried 1/4, but I think it would work too.  The lesser the easier on the body and the wallet.  The best thing is to get Imitrex in a tiny multi-dose vial and use 0.3cc insulin syringes.

IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

The next person who calls
it a migraine eats teeth

x0|London|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 5:10am

gus411 wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:20pm:
Just a general question to all when does everyone decide to take thier meds? I fluxuate between during a shadow when I have that gut feeling. And always when woken up. Just want to see if its tuff for everyone to decide when to takeem when your on a limited budget or limited meds

02, 02, then 02, then triptans last!

I use 02 for shadows and brewing attacks, and attacks. I also use it for occasional migraines as it works for that too.

I save the drugs (various triptans in different forms e.g. nasal, injectible and pill) for when 02 fails- Imi injectiions or nasal,  or am truly desperate for sleep (Frova before bed occasionally)

For us here that is the cheapest and for me also the best as I prefer to stay as drug free as possible and can use the 02 as often as needed without worrying - am always scared that my two doses in 24 hours of triptans may not be enough to cover the number of attacks if used for shadowing.

W the B
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2008 at 5:14am by pubgirl »  

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!