Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Hoping..... (Read 21931 times)
CH-HELL
Ex Member

Re: Hoping.....
Reply #50 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 7:01pm

Good luck to the both of you.

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #51 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 7:30pm

Best of luck to you two tomorrow.

got my stuff crossed

JPC

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #52 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 2:48pm

Your good thoughts and support are amazing.  But fate had different plans in store yet again.

Limo and driver showed up as planned.  We live in a very rural area, so once we make it to town for the final turn onto the road that takes us to I-80, we're turning left.... and SLAM.  Someone was traveling at least 50mph on a 15mph road.  Gary got slammed into the side of the car, I didn't hit anything but the floor.  We just got back from the local hospital.  Concussion.  No neck damage.

Obviously we don't have to pay for this trip! 

Next available appointment?  With ANY doctor in that dept?  Feb 23.

I started crying and couldn't stop.

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #53 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 3:13pm

OMG.....If you all didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck at all. Cry

I'm glad you weren't injured and hope you're not stiff and sore tomorrow.

Love to you both,
Jackie

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #54 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 4:21pm

Oh Laurie...

I'm glad things weren't any worse.  I agree with Jackie......    No luck would be better wouldn't it?

Well, now we''ll look ahead to the 23rd.  Things just HAVE to turn around.

Take care of yourself,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #55 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 5:56pm

I spent some time searching for a different infectious disease doc - one actually located in northern NJ.  Found the replacement for a guy that practiced in affiliation with Morristown Hospital.  Spoke at LENGTH to the scheduling lady.  She took pity, and asked me to fax up what I had - the blood work records, the MRI info, his fever diary.  I don't think she was expecting 16 pages!   Grin  But I think she'll plead Gary's case to the doc when he's in Monday morning.  She said she'd call Mon afternoon.  So here's still hoping.

But Gary's got strep, is completely miserable, is VERY depresesd....

and all I know is that

1)  Everything happens for a reason, and
2)  God never gives you more than you can handle.

So I don't know why things are working out this way, but I have to believe there's a reason for it.  And there IS good luck here - it wasn't our car!  And we're basically OK.  So that's a good thing.

But yes...  for a million other reasons you would have no reason to know, it sure seems like we've been living under a black cloud for about four years now.  Well - pushing five.

But we've got each other, and we're still sort of earning something.  Being on Wall Street, that's meaningful.  At least we're with a firm and though we don't receive salary, we're ABLE to earn something - and we have health insurance, and I have my health.

(((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #56 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 6:31pm

That a girl......a good attitude will go a long way.

Love ya,
Jackie

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #57 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 3:35pm

Good grief!!!!  If it's not one thing it's another.  I'm glad that you guys didn't get seriously hurt. How are you both feeling today?

I hope you get into to see this new doc.  If anyone needs to get into him ASAP it's Gary.

Keep that positive attitude going!!!!

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

flipperlips 100000247863039 pjtimmer@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #58 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 4:56pm

Hi Laurie,

Iknow the feeling when bad luck seems to be never ending. So much so that when it does you can't trust and don't enjoy good times because they are just a blind for the next let down.
I have got to admit that I haven't read this post in detail so I'm sorry if I am saying something others have or just plain off beam.

When I have been in something of a similar situation of never ending 'bad luck' hit after hit and like a sweat ridden rag it's hard to focus, let alone see whats around you.

I remember  a long time ago when I worked in an old building that the cellar had been treated with anti fungus agent in the plaster. The building always smelt strange to me but not really to anyone else.  Guess what, I started to get hit. Always thought I had allergies to certain sprays like anti fungus used by farmers in the English countryside in September time. Then of course the inevitable hits began. In those days I had nothing but myself and a boat, hot towels, pacing and madness for weeks on end. I've had these headaches since I was a child. I can remember them as far back as about 8 or 9.They seem worse now. Then they did not last so long.

Sometimes it's worth looking at all the basic things in your physical locality, and ask. Is it worse since I've been here, done this job, had this diet, had that illness, tried this and that. Then change one of them and see. It sounds from Gary's experience that there is a constant trigger going on. We all know we are not the same with the exception of the pain so it could be something you are already sitting on that just may help.

There is a phrase in a therapy called NLP which sums up what I am saying . If you can't change a problem change where you are standing
and see it from a different place.

Rubbish. I hope not and it has helped me.

Whatever it does I send good thoughts your way.

Ellick.

ET

IP Logged

dhjacks
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|San Jose|USA||0|0|CA,California
Reply #59 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 12:04am

Wow....just wow.

Glad you are able to still be thankful for what you have.  You obviously care a great deal for each other. 

What a rotten streak of misfortune you have had.  Wishing you the very, very best.

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #60 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 5:23pm

dhjacks, we are VERY lucky to have each other!   Smiley

Ellick, I thank you so much for taking the time to share that.  And believe me, we've done that!  However.... after finally getting him diagnosed in 2006 (he'd gone chronic), we realized these date back to at least 1999.  They were never "organized" into periods of hits and not hits - just sporadic stuff, always at night - until he went chronic.  

When they first started, we were up in Northern WI.  We lived on the road, full time, in our RV.  Winters in the south, summers in the north.  Smiley  In 2004 we moved into a house in Northern NJ.  In 2007, we moved homes.  Last year, we moved back into the RV.  We just can't find anything consistent in our environment - even since he went chronic.  Did diet eliminations for weeks/months at a time and other than alcohol haven't found any triggers.  He's not allergic to anything (other than bee stings and jelly fish).  If it's something in the environment... we haven't found it.  Unless it's me.  Wink

I become more and more convinced it is something else that he has - perhaps related to the fevers he's been experiencing - that are causing the clusters, thus technically what he has are "cluster like" headaches.  It would explain why he doesn't respond to meds, why his blood work is normal...  but we just haven't been to the right people to figure it out yet.

So here's where things stand.  The neuro appt yesterday was just another bummer.  Gary told him what happened on the depakote (things got worse) - and the guy says, "Yes, it's rare, but it does happen."  GREAT.   Roll Eyes  Now wants him on dopymax with Frova (does he not understand that none of the triptans have done anything?  And Gary has TRIED topomax before, and we pointed that out....)  so... after the cardiologist (that was supposed to be today) and after the MRA (tomorrow am), he wants Gary to call and he'll discuss putting him on lithium.

He's being really thorough, and he is a very knowledgeable doctor.  But as Gary says, he's going SO slowly that he's (Gary is) just going to end up dead.

Big winter ice storm up here.... so cardiologist office called first thing this am to reschedule.  Of course.  At least it's this Friday, not three weeks from now, right?

And MRA place called to confirm today that he's on for tomorrow morning.  It's the same place he had the MRI done, so it's a 1.5 tesla machine, so that's good.

AND... searched.... and found another infectious disease doc that is NOT part of the stupid group or the not a very nice person group.... and got an appointment for one week earlier than the other one, so we got Feb 16 to look forward to.

AND... searched the sufferer recommended docs again...  found one a little over an hour east and south of here that is actually a neuro, not a GP, and he agreed to fit Gary in on Feb 4!  So we'll see what happens.  He can't see two different neuros on an ongoing basis, but it'd be nice to have one in NJ.  But maybe having a choice will be a good thing for him.

Meanwhile... he's had a couple of days of below normal temps and no fever spikes.  I told him he felt hot today.  Took his temp - and it was 98.8.   Grin

Finally.... I figure that with all these fevers he's been running, he's helping us cut down massively on our propane bill this winter.

Laurie
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2009 at 5:25pm by Garys_Girl »  

This is enough already
IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #61 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 6:27pm

Glad to hear that the fevers have been down.  Keep us posted on all of the other stuff going on. 

Smiley

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

IP Logged

coleman
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Coeurd' Alene ID USA
Reply #62 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 9:10pm

I know that this is an older post, but my wife has just found out that her thryoid level is low at 0.01 and was just wondering if this could affect her chs.

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #63 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 8:59pm

Hi Coleman!

Yes, apparently the thyroid CAN affect CH!  Let me go find the thread so I can post a link for you.

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #64 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 9:23pm

OK - Found it.  This was in regards to an underactive thyroid, but anything out of the normal range is worth looking into!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #65 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 9:27pm

BTW - as to Gary...

Last weekend, Fri eve to Mon am, 4 fevers with temps in excess of 105.

Cardio today says he knows the top infectious disease doc in northern NJ, and will see if he can get the guy to see Gary ASAP.  *fingers crossed*   AND... we brought the fever diary with this time... and he was VERY interested.  Had LOTS of ideas, and has Gary set up for a bunch of tests next week.  Little by little we seem to be getting the right team of docs together!  Even though Gary's pain management doc isn't prescribing stuff to him anymore, we became friends with him, and right now he's Gary's prime advocate.  And now the cardio seems to be on board.  Smiley

OH!  And the PM doc (who also has 3 surgery centers) is going down to Philly next week to see another ONS implant!  (He went to CT to watch some Italian docs do one - I think it was last month).  So if Gary ends up having to go that route, at least he'll probably be able to do it up here with his doc.

So meanwhile, we're playing phone tag with neuro.  Gary's PM doc called him to say instead of waiting for the Montefiore ID doc, why not just get Gary in there inpatient and run the gazillion tests.  So he wants to do that.  He's just impossible to get a hold of.

Another meanwhile...  went through the sufferer recommended docs on the OUCH site again.  Most up here are GPs, but actually found a neuro that's only about an hour from here!  Got an appt for the 11th.  If he thinks he can help and he's willing to try meds Gary's not been on before, we'll probably switch.

Wow - if all this comes together it would be nice.  Docs in NJ not NY!  We can but hope!

Laurie
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2009 at 9:33pm by Garys_Girl »  

This is enough already
IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #66 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 2:36pm

Hi Laurie.  I was wondering how things were going for Gary.  I sure hope through all of this that they finally figure out was is causing Gary to have those fevers.

Good luck with all the doc appts. and as always keeping you two in my thoughts.

Keep us posted!!!!

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #67 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 9:05am

Yes, I'm hoping for you too.  Hoping it all comes together for you all soon.  This has been going on way to long.

Keep us posted, Lauire.....

Love to you both,
Jackie

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #68 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 2:42pm

Hi Laurie!

Thinking of you guys.   Please let us know how things are!

hugs,

Jeannie

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #69 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 4:58pm

Smiley  Thank you.

They're pulling Gary off of the verapamil - he can't tolerate it.  He went for his echocardiogram today and was supposed to have a stress test, but his blood pressure has been very low the past few days.  We were hoping it was just the cuff - but no.  His BP at the cardio today was 80/50 and his pulse was 54.  He looked terrible and felt terrible.

The cardio has not spoken to the NJ-based infectious disease doc, and he leaves for vacation tomorrow.   Roll Eyes 

So that leaves us with one ID doc on Monday, and the rescheduled Montefiore ID doc a week from Monday.

The potential new neurologist's office called yesterday to reschedule for next week, so that's still pending.

Everything continues to move at a snail's pace.  But hopefully we're getting closer.

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #70 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 5:04pm

YIKES!!!!!!!  That's a low BP.  Good thing their pulling him of the verapamil.  Hopefully that will help his BP come up.

Things may be moving at a snail's pace, but there moving.  I'm hoping that you guys are getting closer too!!!!!

Keep us posted on the other appointments Laurie.  We're all here pulling for you guys.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #71 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 5:15pm

Fingers crossed for you all.

Love ya,
Jackie

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #72 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 5:16pm

Add more hugs from me.........
Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Jeannie

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #73 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 5:33pm

Hi Jen!  Hope you and Phil are hangin' in there. 

Yeah, it pretty much bites.  It's weird - he's "only" up to 520mg of verapamil.  In 2007 he was on 480 and it didn't seem to be an issue (though we weren't taking his BP, and he always felt sick and had no energy back then, so who knows, really). 

The neuro wants to stick him in the hospital on the 22nd.  He's going to hold off on doing it, because his appt with that specific ID doc is the 23rd!  If they can do the testing they need to outpatient, he'd much rather go that route.  But he wants the ID doc's opinion on what is best to do, because the only inpatient stuff the Montefiore neuro says they usually do for CH is the DHE drip, which we already know he CANNOT tolerate! 

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #74 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 6:40pm

We're doing okay Laurie.  Phil's still dancing the dance daily, but the O2 is really helping him.

Phil's on 480mg a day and his BP is fine.  I check it every once in a while.  Guess that's one of the benefits of me working in health care, I have a cuff and stethascope here at home  Wink

Phil normally has a high BP and I think the combo of his lisinopril (for his BP), verapamil and being trex free for months now has finally brought him down to the normal BP range.  Although he is certainly not normal  Cheesy

I don't blame Gary for wanting to do things outpatient if he can.  There's nothing fun about being stuck in the hospital.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!