Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 Problem (Read 2734 times)
Whompy
CH.com Newbie

Kipping the light fantastic...

Ohio
O2 Problem
Dec 16th, 2008 at 6:49pm

I recently had O2 prescribed by my doc.  I called it in to the Praxair folks (the one's my Dr's office recommended) and went through the red tape of getting the insurance approval and delivery and whatnot...

...Today I received a call that from the customer service rep (as it was supposed to be here) informing me that they were waiting on 'Clarification' from the Dr.

When I asked what type of 'clarification' she replied that she couldn't fill the script with a non-rebreathing mask.  

I told her that if they were out, or didn't have any on hand that I could find one. myself, just do whatever necessary to get me my O2.

She told me that it wasn't that they didn't have any it was that I would not be using a non-rebreathing mask on their equipment.

So now I don't know what to do...

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Re: O2 Problem
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 7:01pm

Doctors orders are doctors orders. Call the doc and have them give the 02 supplier a tune up.
the bb

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 9:38pm

To me, it's a question of how much you are willing to suffer while you wait for other people to sort things out.

If it were me, I would have already had the O2 delivered and gotten my own mask.

But then, that's just me - because I refuse to suffer needlessly

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 9:51pm

What a pain in the arse. 

I would suggest you call your doctors office and speak to the on-call MD.  Have them get in touch with the Praxair and clarify the order right now.  It is a pain issue and should be resolved ASAP.  Hope all goes well.

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 10:46pm

I'd click on the yellow oxygen info button on the left.  It takes you to the LifeGas site page with the information about the 02ptimask.  It is FAR superior to anything a med supply company will provide.  Those non-rebreather masks need to be modified to be effective anyway:  tape over the hole on the mask that isn't closed, remove the small bag and tape on a one gallon freezer baggie.

The 02ptimask costs $25 and comes with a 3 litre bag.  Smiley

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 11:15pm

Have you actually saw this prescription? If your Doctors office faxed it to Praxair, my guess is, it does not read for a NRB mask. You would not be the first person this has happened to. I hope I'm wrong.

Welcome to CH.com and Good Luck, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 11:18pm

FIRST, be very nice and polite, and call the supplier, and tell them to just deliver what they have.  (call them names, once you hang up)  Once you have the oxygen, with a regulator that goes up to at least 15 LPM, we can get you a mask.  I have several that I keep on hand, just for times like this.  Let me know if you need one!

SECOND, call your doctor and let him/her ream the supplier with a new anal orifice!

Good luck, and let us know how you are progressing!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 1:20am

Chuck, you truly are an amazing 02 pusher! Smiley

Laurie
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2008 at 1:20am by Garys_Girl »  

This is enough already
IP Logged

DeStijl
CH.com Veteran

Lubbock, TX
Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 2:47am

Hell, gimme their number and I'll have my wife call 'em. She can change the sky color with a phone call. I wouldn't have O2 if she hadn't called. I am too short tempered to deal with stupid people over a phone. I wanna reach through and poke 'em in the eye.

https://www.facebook.com/eric.mcgaha  
IP Logged

Whompy
CH.com Newbie

Ohio
Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 10:21am

I talked to the girl (in the above post) right at closing time (5:15 or so, yesterday) so there was little I could do to get anything done last night.

Thankfully, I wasn't due for another simulated aneurysm last night.

I am tonight...(my CH's come like clockwork, every-other-day for me); I plot to spend the rest of the day either getting the Praxair folks getting a damn tank to my house regardless of what type of plastic they think I should be strapping to my face.

In point of fact, while I was typing this, I just got a call from them informing me that they are still trying to get clarification from the Dr...When I asked what the holdup was I was told "It is praxair policy to not supply non-rebreathing masks"

I told them, politely, that if they were not able to get the mask in question to please just get O2 to me today, we can worry about the specifics of the mask later and let me know by noon, and if they're  still unable, I'd be forced to go with someone more accommodating (e.g. LifeGas, which will require that I take (more) time off of work and go for a bit of a drive...)

Is it wrong for me to want to beat them senseless with the very tanks they provide? </Grumble>

Chuck:  Thank youI truly appreciate the offer and I may take you up on the offer if I can't get one locally.

IP Logged

Whompy
CH.com Newbie

Ohio
Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 2:50pm

Thank you, all of you, for your support and advice;  it was helpful, invaluable, and gave me the boost I needed to keep pushing these folks.

Anyway, As a final note to this hop down the bunny-trail-of-stupid, I (to make a long story short) got fed up with Praxair, as even after being informed as to the nature, biology [Kudos to Batch for this], and effects of CH they were still unforthcoming, told them in no uncertain terms what I needed, got fed more BS, and ultimately dumped them for another provider who doesn't make medical decisions based on corporate policy.  

...I may have also voiced some opinions as to the circumstances of their sundry births, general viability of their genetic lineage, and the effect of abysmal customer service reps that make it plain that a treatment plan hashed together between a Doctor with a specialty in headaches and an Engineer must be obviously flawed or poorly-thought-through  as it goes against policy (as it is well known that Doctors pay no attention to the orders they write and Engineers inherently gloss over details of apparati they will be spending significant time applying to themselves which the all-knowing policy takes into account to protect them from themselves...)

At any rate, I digress.  (Engineers only gloss over and forget the details of any apparatus that we employ for the use of other people Wink )

The new folks were able to not only handle the insurance and medical red-tape in under an hour, but will have me supplied, set up, and taken care of in whatever capacity necessary by 6:00PM this evening.

Thanks again for all the support;  Its good to know that others are out there that understand and give a shit.

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 3:48pm

Great news. Now you will be ready to do battle tonight. Good luck!

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 8:43pm

Quote:
Thanks again for all the support;  Its good to know that others are out there that understand and give a shit.

Priceless.
now kick some demon ass.
all the best
the bb

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #13 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 12:00am

Whompy,

Good on you and all the folks that helped.  

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #14 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 1:09am

Years ago, when I was still paying for my 02...the freaking WAREHOUSE  manager said, "well I've never seen any studies that show high flow 02 is effective for headaches." The FREAKING WAREHOUSE MANAGER!!!!  )No disrespect intended to any warehouse managers on the board...especially of you possess a PHD in Neuro sciences.  Grin)

Yeah, petty people in powerful positions....they can be a little annoying! Damn glad to here you finally prevailed.  Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #15 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 3:32am

Well I learned something today. PRAXAIR doesn't care what a CH sufferer needs, period. I can only hope that whatever reason they have for witholding a Doctor ordered treatment, costs them what it's worth.   Tongue

Glad you got it fixed, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

TomM
CH.com Hall of Famer

Montgomery Village, MD, USA
Reply #16 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 8:56am

Quote:
What a pain in the arse.  

I would suggest you call your doctors office and speak to the on-call MD.  Have them get in touch with the Praxair and clarify the order right now.  It is a pain issue and should be resolved ASAP.  Hope all goes well.

I agree. Your pain should become thier pain. Get my drift? Make it the Docs problem.
TomM

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing." --Thoreau--
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!