Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new to the site... (Read 1215 times)
c-fish
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

new to the site...
Jan 28th, 2009 at 6:08pm

I'm 34 yrs old,this is my second cycle.The first was I think 4 yrs ago and also in the winter time.However this time the attacks are more frequent,more intense and have more more lingering affects.This one started around the first of Dec.I never seen a dr. the first time.This time when they would hit bad I could feel it in my upper teeth on the side I have them on so I went to a dentist.I had three impacted wisdom teeth that he sent me to have extracted on dec.31.I went back to the oral surgeon explained the episodes and he sent me to a nuero who quickly diagnosed me w/ch.He gave imirex and topomax.The imiterx is good at stopping an attack but they seem even more frequent and I'm using it faster than I can get it.I've taken the topomax 1 a night for week and 2 at night for the the last 3 days.I cant tell its making any difference,dont know if thats long enough to make a difference.I was also sent for mri.He said it only showed some splattered white matter in the brain that has usually been present w/ch patients.I go in the am for an infusion of 2 things in which im not sure what they are.I think they said maybe some sort of steroid or anti-inflamatory not exactly sure but I hope it ends this cycle.Sorry this was so long,just wanted introduce myself and my story and get any feedback,tips, or input any of you might have.Hope you all have a beast free night.Thanks,Chad
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2009 at 6:12pm by c-fish »  

Chad
chad fisher  
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Re: new to the site...
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 6:17pm

I'm sure more people will stop by and offer up info, but for now take a look on the left hand sidebar and click on "oxygen info" for the low down on the abortive many of us use.

Oh...and welcome to the site.

Bill

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 6:41pm

Welcome to your new family!  ...sorry you have to join us.  Undecided  But you'll find lots of support here- you're not alone!
-Paige

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

Iddy
CH.com Alumnus

Smile

Toronto,Canada
Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 7:23pm

Welcome Chad

You will be amazed at the education you will find on this site

Walk in Peace Smiley

Walk in Peace

"If you can, help others, if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." Dalai Lama

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 8:36pm

Welcome to the board. Since I started using oxygen, my Imitrex useage is almost zero. Over 80% success rate for men who try it. It's cheap, no side effects, and will knock a headache out in 6-8 minutes for me. Worth a shot.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 11:30am

It's difficult trying to get a grasp on a new, complex disorder like CH. So much of the material you read here is good but not organized in a way which gives the new sould a coherent picture of CH & its treatment.

Suggest you invest in one of these books to give a good, coherent picture.

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $50 at Amazon.Com.  It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book....")

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!