Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Marijuana and Cluster Headaches (Read 56191 times)
Potter
Ex Member

Re: Marijuana and Cluster Headaches
Reply #50 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 6:12pm

Tim in Texas wrote on Dec 14th, 2012 at 5:36pm:
I understand that this topic landed on this forum around the time that the wheel was invented (maybe not this particular thread), but I just wanted to tell about my experience with marijuana involving CH's and ask a question about another abortative. I quit smoking pot all together in college when I first started getting my headaches. I very strongly believed they pot was a much stronger trigger than alcohol (or atleast to me). My next question involves mushrooms. Is this a myth? I know that no neuro would prescribe "medicinal mushrooms" because of obvious liability reasons. I have evenwatched National Geographic episodes about how mushrooms provide relief to CH sufferers. However, during the episode I don't recall seeing any respectable Doctors or Head Ache Centers backing this concept up, or even any clinical studies. Just wanting to the pro/con arguements from people who know.

It works.  Come to a convention and meet us.  I'm 3,000 days+or- PF.

Potter

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #51 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 6:25pm

Tim, probably the best place to get the answers you're seeking will be Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. It's a forum much like this one, and has all of the data on using hallucinogens responsibly in order to treat CH. For many, it provides complete relief over time, and in most cases, won't require you to "trip" or hallucinate. Check it out for sure.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #52 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 1:49pm

Dr. Brian McGeeney has written an amazing piece on the help that cannabinoids and hallucinogens can offer the migraine and cluster headache sufferer.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

NSWClusterhead
CH.com Newbie

Kill Clusters!

Cincinnati, OH
Reply #53 - May 6th, 2013 at 10:25pm

I know this post is somewhat out of date, but I figured I would put my two cents in... Unfort. for myself Marijuana quite often triggers CH's, but then again I'm in a cycle 365 days a year. So it may be very helpful for episodic CH's. I've found if I already have a ch, ill smoke and it actually helps... But if I smoke while having no cluster its a flip of the coin. I agree with Lydia, everyone is verrrry very different when it comes to CH's... which makes it very hard to treat. So when it comes to a very safe herb like Marijuana hell give it a chance who knows!! Shocked 
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2013 at 10:26pm by NSWClusterhead »  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #54 - May 8th, 2013 at 8:25am

I agree with Lydia, everyone is verrrry very different when it comes to CH's... which makes it very hard to treat.

True dat!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Johnnya
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #55 - May 22nd, 2013 at 11:29pm

ok, so, I have been having clusters since I was 18, 38 years ago, and had to post something on here as if it saves one person a single headache is worth it.
These  headaches are evil and devious, what works one season, may not work the next, verapamil worked like a charm first time I used it, didn't work after that , has to do where the cycle is and how to interrupt it. mary Jane may work for some people I say try it , try anything that may help, amitriptiline, verapamil, sumatrapin has always worked to stop the attack, but not interrupt the cycle. nasal irrigation worked 2 years for me, then stopped working, mushrooms or lsd has been studied lately as it seems to work to stop the cycle and thats really what its all about stopping the cycle.
if you have a headache that ibuprofen stops , you dont have a migraine much less a cluster, imitrex injections or nasal spray stop the attack the fastest in my opinion, but don't stop the cycle, I have tried everything there is to try, and
have to change it almost every cycle, as the same thing won't work more than two times, but the imitrex or generic sumatrapin always stops the attack.
I have stopped the cycle by changing where I was physically, taking a plane ride somewhere going into the mountains, anything that makes your ears pop may also do the trick.
avoiding the cycle, I have never found anything that works, except when I took amitritiline, for a year, skipped a year , mine always come in march or april depending on climate, may be pollen counts or something, but once started will go on and on for months sometimes till I can break it, am currently going on two months of this cycle and started amitrip again.One year , during a horrendous attack, tried the nasal irrigation and it stopped immediately, like magic. Hope this helps someone

IP Logged

Josh W
CH.com Junior

Love your neighbor as
you love yourself.

x0|tallahassee|USA|usa|0|0|FL,Florida
Reply #56 - May 25th, 2013 at 1:21am

I am episodic, 6 weeks every 14 months. Iam very lucky to have such a short and far between cycle. I have smoked herb for the last 10 years. It has never been a trigger for me, but like many others, a cap full of liquer and I am at a k -10 within minutes. Many also say depakote does not help. Yet I have finally held off the first cycle in 12 years only changing to depalote a month before my cycle was to begin. 3 HAs at k -2. Not a cycle but a dream. All this being said. We are all very diff and I feel we get ch differently. I had a 3cm by 5cm aracnoid cyst on my temporal lobe. On my ch side.  I feel that had something to do with my situation.  God bless and p/f wishes to all here.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2013 at 1:23am by Josh W »  

IP Logged

CHsRtheDeviL
CH.com Junior

Kill The Beast!!!

Downers Grove
Reply #57 - May 25th, 2013 at 2:44am

I smoked weed for a long time but once I started getting cycles every spring summer for the last 5 years I quit.  I found it to be almost an immediate trigger for me, and they were quite painful way more than usual.

IP Logged

CHsRtheDeviL
CH.com Junior

Kill The Beast!!!

Downers Grove
Reply #58 - May 25th, 2013 at 2:47am

I personally think that marijuana is a huge trigger.  As I slowly started getting worse and more painful headaches I noticed MJ was a huge trigger and quit for good.  I dont know if it dont trigger you in to one congrats.  I'm gonna agree with most on here that it is definetaly a trigger.

IP Logged

Josh W
CH.com Junior

Love your neighbor as
you love yourself.

x0|tallahassee|USA|usa|0|0|FL,Florida
Reply #59 - May 25th, 2013 at 9:03am

My second strongest trigger, after alcohol, is floral old woman perfumes.  They get me every single time. I think all would agree with, find YOUR triggers and stay as far away as possible.

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #60 - May 29th, 2013 at 8:17pm

Note that there is a huge difference between different MJ strains, and each one has it's own properties. For some people the right stuff can be more effective then Imitrex.

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

Jangly Mark
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #61 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 10:28pm

I hope that someone can shed light on this as it seens a little unusual.

I don't smoke much pot these days as I#m out of the loop and don't have someone to buy from....but...

I won't touch it if I'm in the middle of a bout (same goes for alcohol).

When I have toked close to a cycle, I've been fine that night.  No shadows, no cluster attack.

BUT - the next day, definite continuous shadows, and the next night, a high KIP.

Anyone else has this 24 hour delay?  Can anyone explain it?

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #62 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 3:53am

Not really we are all different, but you could checkout our sister site ClusterBusters, the link is to your left at the bottom of this page.

Cheers, Hoppy.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!