Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My husband is suicidal (Read 17864 times)
Dehlia
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Massachusetts
My husband is suicidal
Oct 24th, 2009 at 4:08pm

Hello everyone !
This is my first time posting. My husband has cluster headaches. He also has muscle pain in his whole body, they don't know what it is, possibly Fibromyalgia. He is on Lyrica for it, but it is not helping at all. Also, he has stomach & abdominal pain,cramping, diarrhea & nausea, Which he is on a whole bunch of meds for. He has had the cluster headaches for 23 years. The stomach/abdominal issues & body pain for 1 1/2 years. The muscle pain is constant & is worse when he moves, which makes his headache walks harder to bear, also he can't walk at the pace his head wants him to because his body won't let him Which makes him anxious. He also has rapid cycle bipolar. He is suicidal due to all of the pain & he says he thinks about suicide all the time . He is in peak now. I am taking some time off of work during peak so I can try to prevent him from killing himself. But he doesn't wake me in the middle of the night when he has to walk, so I cannot always be there to prevent it. I don't want to wake up to a dead husband! My husband says that if he wasn't in a cluster cycle then he would belong in a psyche ward because of him being suicidal. He doesn't want to go to a hospital because he says they won't let him walk at night & if he acts out, they will put him in restraints in a quiet room. He says if he was in a hospital it would be torture & when he came out he would never be the same & would be much more likely to kill himself when he gets out. So I will try my best to keep him out of the hospital. But if things get bad I may have to. Does anyone have advice on how to handle things with a suicidal cluster headache loved one?

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Re: My husband is suicidal
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 5:03pm

You handle things with a suicidal cluster sufferer just as you would anybody who is suicidal.  Keep him talking.   I would also suggest, that, if possible, you sit down and have a talk with his psychiatrist, with or without him.

That aside, what has he tried for his headaches?  Is he on oxygen?  And, if I may ask, what meds does he take for the bipolar condition?  Does he see one physician who coordinates all his meds or does he see different docs for each condition?

I know that you're coming here to try and find out how to best prevent your husbands potential suicide, but he has a myriad of conditions that compound the clusters.

Carolyn~aka~deltadarlin

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 5:03pm

Wow Dehlia, I don't even know what to say. I'm sorry your husband is suffering so.
Tell us more about how the doctor treats him for CH? I realize he has so much more going on. Has he tried O2 to abort a headache? How about redbull or other energy drinks with taurine?

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 8:00pm

Hi,
I have paranoid schizophrenia and major depression.  I have felt suicidal on many occassions due to multiple medical conditions.  I suffer from chronic ch.  which means I get them every day all year round.  I was blessed to find a good and compassionate dr who gave me some good meds to stop the ch.  Has he tried verapamil, topamax, lithium, zerprexa, elavil, oxygen, imitrex, there are so many combinations out there to try.  You dont say what he takes for ch.  Can you tell us?  As far as feeling suicidal get him to see his pyciatric dr that perscribes his meds.  Tell them how he is feeling.  It is one thing to feel suicidal.  It is another to have a plan of committing the act.  They will ask him if he has a plan.  If not, they probably will give him an antidepressant. If so, they will probably want to hospitalize him.  I have been hospitalized with ch in the mental ward.  What is more important is his life!  When I checked in I told them I had ch all hrs of day and night and that I needed room to pace and head bang.  That was not an attempt at suicide but part of a ritual because the pain was so intense.  They gave me a private room and I could pace and do all I wanted to in there.  However, I had to go to them to get the imitrex to abort my ch and they dr didn't have the order written up.  I was livid.  They got it quickly as possible I made sure after that when I went in the order was ready to go and up there.  If he does try to kill himself in the hospital which I tried to do they will put you in a room with 4 walls and a mat and blanket for 24 hrs or until the drs say you can come out. So again he would have another room all to himself to headbang and walk around in.  Dont let him fool you.  It isn't as bad a place as it sounds.  If his life is in jeapordy please call 911 or take him to the emergency room if after hours.  Otherwise get him to see his pdoc.  Hope I helped some.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 11:00pm

Dehlia,

Oh sweetheart between your husband and you, you've got a whole lot on your plate.  I'm afraid you are going to have to be strong for a while, since he is in so much pain that he isn't thinking rationally.  You have to.

I am putting my phone number out here for you.  Please call me when you get a chance.  I may have some insight for you to help him...if not I am a good listener and I think you need some help,  in order to help him. 
I have unlimited long distance, so if you don't, you can call me and I will call you right back on my dime.

Linda Howell   (270) 824-8328

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 9:27am

They all said the things that need to be said.  I'm a supporter, too and I just want you to know I'm praying for you and your husband.  Strength and peace and pain free times for both of you.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 11:13am

This site is full of caring people with tons of knowledge.
Keep talking to us.  There are better days ahead with the support of this group.

Big Hugs....

IP Logged

Dehlia
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Massachusetts
Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 4:06pm

Thanks everyone for your caring replies !

For his Clusters he has oxygen which doesn't abort his headaches but it helps so they don't get as bad, but only if he can catch it early, so it doesn't help when he wakes up with headaches at night.He has been on Verapamil for about a year , so this cycle and last cycle were milder due to the Verapamil. (He has his cycles in the spring & in the fall) The only problem with the Verapamil is it makes the cycles last longer , but it is a good trade off. He also has imitrex injections which do help but he doesn't like to take it often due to the side affects. He tried prendizone & Lidacane , both of which didn't help.  How does the red bull work ? & how should he take it ? 
His psycopharmocologist does both the prescribing of his Prozac for his bipolar & depression . He is a really good doctor , he goes out of his way to help my husband . He also does his therapy & prescribes trilepltal for his epilepsy (which hasn't been a problem lately) He has a background in Neurology. His PCP prescribed the other meds for his clusters. He has a Rheumotologist that prescribed the Lyrica for his body pain (but it doesn't work) , He is slowly going up on the dose , so he is not at the full dose yet , so hopefully it will help when he is on a higher dose. He has a gastroenterologist that prescribes his stomach meds & during his non-headache time was doing testing to try to figure out what is wrong , but he hasn't figured it out yet.
Well thanks again everyone , Linda, I may take you up on that phone call. Karla, Sorry to hear about your chronic clusters as well as all of your other health problems , I have schizophrenia too & I can't imagine having chronic cluster headaches on top of it. thank you on your input about what it would be like for him in a hospital during his clusters, His psycopharmocologist does know he is suicidal & I did call him a couple of weeks ago , I told him I was very worried , I asked him if I could get him in a hospital even if my husband refuses & he said , if he is suicidal a doctor or a policeman can write a ten day note to put him in the hospital. I asked him what I should do & he asked me if I was calling him because I thought my husband was going to attempt to kill himself then & I said no, & he said take it as it comes. After reading what you wrote about your hospital stay, I feel better about it if I have to put him in one.
-Dehlia

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #8 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 4:36pm

After reading your last post twice something hit me that you may not have thought about.

Your husband seems to have mutiple medical problems as well as multiple doctors treating him.  Are they all talking to each other as to what meds they have him on????  One for epilepsy, one for bi-polar, one for gastric problems, one for CH, and another for body pain.  Do you see what I am getting at?

Please keep my number handy and call me whenever you want.  I am chair of "Family Services" for OUCH and I talk to folks almost every single day.  Either by e-mails or in phone conversations.  I am not a doctor by any means but I have been here at this site for 11 years now, at OUCH for 10 yrs. and I, myself have had chronic CH for 22 years. 

Because of what I do at Family Services...I've taken classes on suicide intervention and truly want to help.

Linda

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 10:06pm

Dehlia, you said he has tried the o2 but that it doesn't work very well. I wonder what kind of mask he uses, and the flow rate. Be sure to check out to the left yellow button about oxygen. Many have thought o2 didn't work for them, until they tried higher flow rates and a non-rebreather mask.

Good luck!

IP Logged

Dehlia
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Massachusetts
Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 8:50am

He brings a printed out med list with him to all of his doctor's & brings a new one if the med's changed.
He uses a 15 liter flow rate & a non-re-breather mask.

-Dehlia

IP Logged

Dehlia
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Massachusetts
Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 9:29am

Thank you ,

I read the oxygen info. I told my husband that 25 to 60 liters can work better , also he wasn't staying on it long enough , he thought that if it didn't work in a short amount of time , it wasn't going to work , so now he can try staying on it for 15 to 20 minutes , & also I told him he should continue to stay on it for 5 minutes after it is aborted , I hope it works for him!

-Dehlia

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:42pm

A couple of important points about O2. Hyperventalation of O2 will give the fastest aborts. When the pain starts to go away, stay on the O2 at a lower flow for several minutes.

Also, set up straight, don't bend over as this restricts the lungs. Doing all of the above at what ever flow rate will bring the best results.

Higher flow is needed when the bag is emptied before the user can get the biggest breath they can. A better mask also helps with this.

Good luck, Don
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:44pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Dehlia
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Massachusetts
Reply #13 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 10:28am

Thank you Don ,

I will let my husband know your O2 tips !

-Dehlia

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 4:56pm

Dehlia, it has been a week since you posted.

How is he doing?

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #15 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 5:36pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Nov 3rd, 2009 at 4:56pm:
Dehlia, it has been a week since you posted.

How is he doing? 

She was here yesterday but there was nobody here to massage her.

potter

IP Logged

NancyB
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 6:52pm

I have a thought too and if it sounds too stupid I bow to more experienced people,but is he drinking a lot of diet soda? I've read and watched roomates go through a lot of what you are describing. They were going through a lot of diet soda- cases a day- and most if not all their symptoms went away when they stopped. Also read an article about people with chronic body pains having the same problem and clearing up when they stopped. Don't know if he does, but can't hurt to investigate-only the diet stuff does this.

IP Logged

sch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Austin, TX
Reply #17 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 5:34pm

If he is on most any sort of the newer anti-depressant medications (SSRI's) the use of any triptans can cause something called Serotonin Syndrome. Don't know what that is but some of the symtoms sound similar to what you are describing. Might be worth a mention to the doc. Good luck.

IP Logged

K. Hartley
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #18 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 11:43am

I'm sorry that is hard..

I wouldn't really know what to do except be the most optimistic person i could be. If he's suicidal that means he thinks he has nothing left o live for to be happy about. You have to be his opposite! Let him know that you love him and will never leave his side and that as long as you're there, he has comfort in knowing someone wants him alive. Don't be scared, be strong.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #19 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 2:37pm

K. Hartley wrote on Feb 17th, 2010 at 11:43am:
I'm sorry that is hard..

I wouldn't really know what to do except be the most optimistic person i could be. If he's suicidal that means he thinks he has nothing left o live for to be happy about. You have to be his opposite! Let him know that you love him and will never leave his side and that as long as you're there, he has comfort in knowing someone wants him alive. Don't be scared, be strong.

People who are seriously contemplating suicide are not thinking of others or their positive outlook. Your "bright side of life" treatment may, in fact, have exactly the opposite effect as is intended. He needs to talk to a professional.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #20 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 1:17pm

well would it make him feel better if he talked to one of us on the phone?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

jkeller4000
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #21 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 8:22pm

I know when i was in the hospital, it was nice, if u are in the psych ward they let u do just about everything because they want u to prove to them u can live on the out side. so they would let ur husband walk around at night.  but i do have it say the doctors were unavailabe. and really easy to lie to them. it would be better to get ur own doctor and do out patient. which is probably what ur husband is doing now.  i wonder i noticed that i only get suicidal after i start getting a headache Sad lol i probably should see a doctor but well, they said i was ok in the hosptial so when i kill myself Smiley i will know i have logically come to that choice Smiley.  but it is interesting i never thought of my headaches causing me enough pain that i want to die Smiley

IP Logged

TommyA
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 3:11pm

Brew wrote on Feb 17th, 2010 at 2:37pm:
K. Hartley wrote on Feb 17th, 2010 at 11:43am:
I'm sorry that is hard..

People who are seriously contemplating suicide are not thinking of others or their positive outlook. Your "bright side of life" treatment may, in fact, have exactly the opposite effect as is intended. He needs to talk to a professional.

I agree. People who are suicidal need to be treated by a professionals.  Telling them how great things are or used to be or will be can make them feel more suicidal because they often think that they will never feel that way again.

IP Logged

foolclip281
CH.com Newbie

One Deep Until Die

Spring, TX
Reply #23 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 6:03pm

I want to kill myself when I get CH... when i'm not having one i'm a happy go lucky guy. I've been to psych wards myself, so I understand his pain.  Basically I know many people on this site will disagree with me on my suggestion but in a circumstance where he is in HORRIBLE pain, mentally and physically, go to the ER and get some drugs, ASAP... then when the pain is under control in the moment get moving toward a non-narcotic approach until he finds something that works for him.

"Everybody has a plan, till' they get punched in the mouth."  Mike Tyson

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #24 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 11:54am

foolclip281 wrote on Jun 8th, 2010 at 6:03pm:
Basically I know many people on this site will disagree with me on my suggestion but in a circumstance where he is in HORRIBLE pain, mentally and physically, go to the ER and get some drugs, ASAP... then when the pain is under control in the moment get moving toward a non-narcotic approach until he finds something that works for him.

I think the key is to go to the Emergency room for some relief. An 02 tank will work alot faster and your loved one will be able to walk out a different person. In addition, and ahead of that really, start working on the 2-prong treatment approach - preventative and abortive.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!