Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
yet another newbie ;) (Read 1616 times)
hypothalamus
CH.com Newbie

Münster (Westf), Germany
yet another newbie ;)
Dec 9th, 2009 at 6:29am

Hi Guys,

my name's Tim, I'm 22 years old and I currently live in Germany. Originally I'm a Brit though.

I made my first experiences with the cluster beast at age 10. I wouldn't get a proper diagnosis (chronic cluster headache) until I was 16 though. So yeah, that's pretty much of a long time now. I've basically tried everything in terms of medication now- Verapamil, Lithium, Methysergide, Topiramate etc. They all work in one way or another. However, after a while I always suffer severe side effects which force me to stop taking them again.  Angry For example, I got bad arrythmias from the Verapamil and Lithium would put me into weird mental states...lol Topiramate remains the only med which I can tolerate relatively well at the moment. I do get cognitive problems from it but they're better than having to put up with 5 full-blown cluster attacks a day!

However, I still suffer 4 mild attacks when under Topiramate so it's not perfect yet. From the looks, I'm now slowly heading towards surgery (occipital nerve stimulation) because there isn't really anything else left to try anymore. In February I'll try DHE infusions. If they don't work I'll probably have go to for occipital nerve stimulation to finally get some relief.

I'm with a brilliant neuro by the way. I absolutely trust him. He's an excellent scientist.

That's it from the cluster side. Apart from having to deal with cluster headache, I'm a student (currently Business IT but moving onto medical school next year eventually). I'm obsessed with science, do lots of exercise and love music.

Have a nice day everyone and lots of pf days,
Tim
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2009 at 6:30am by hypothalamus »  
hypothalamus http://www.myspace.com/506037065  
IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Re: yet another newbie ;)
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 8:12am

Welcome to the Family Tim.
   Sounds like you have the biggest hurdle licked,,,,,finding the right doctor!
  Have you tried the O2?
lorac

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 8:30am

A list of knowledgeable German doctors is available at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

A list of German support groups is available at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Jrcox
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

FARMINGTON, MN
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 8:40am

Welcome tim. Get o2. What may work for us once may not or vise versa. Glad to see you found us.

All the best
Jrcox

Jrcox jasonandmason jasonandmason@me.com jasonandmason  
IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 8:45am

Welcome Tim!
Definitely stay here chatting with all of us but ABSOLUTELY check out ck.wissen for more local info for you. It is a wonderful site with really comprehensive information and I would highly recommend it to anyone living in or visiting Germany.

I'd also absolutely urge you to try O2 again. Changing your mask can make all the difference. I use an optimask (available through the store here on this site) and can abort an attack in 5-7 minutes. It's just wonderful, I can't praise it enough!

Good luck with the DHE!

Helen

IP Logged

hypothalamus
CH.com Newbie

Münster (Westf), Germany
Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 9:39am

Hiya everyone,

thanks for your advise =D.  I actually forgot to mention that, I'm the most nerdy nerd you can possibly imagine so I know pretty much about CH, especially in terms of its pathogenesis.  Cheesy I've read most of the major scientific papers on cluster headache (and headache in general).

Also, I completely forgot to mention my abortive treatment. I use zolmitriptan (nasal spray) and O2, both of which work for most attacks- not all of them. Thanks very much for the advise about the mask by the way. I'll definitely try and get one of those!

Luv,
Tim

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 9:45am

Nerdy nerds are good - we make them do the washing up here and all the other grisly jobs. Get your marigolds ready Tim  Wink

Seriously though, a good archive of info is a powerful weapon! That's really good to hear. We can all benefit from your reading now!

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 11:38am

The same mask is available in Germany via Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

hypothalamus
CH.com Newbie

Münster (Westf), Germany
Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:19pm

Quote:
Nerdy nerds are good - we make them do the washing up here and all the other grisly jobs. Get your marigolds ready Tim  Wink

Oh I don't mind that. I always do the washing up! Cheesy  Lips Sealed But.... Before I generally agree to anything- which other girly jobs are you talking about?  =D

Quote:
Seriously though, a good archive of info is a powerful weapon! That's really good to hear. We can all benefit from your reading now!

That's good Smiley. I'm obsessed with science, especially in connection with the human body. That's basically why I wanna study medicine. Unfortunately, the cluster beast has always prevented me from getting started. However, now it seems I have things under control much better than a few years ago (back then I didn't even receive proper treatment).

I might move back to the UK soon. But I'll start a new thread on that in a minute cuz I got a few specific questions regarding the health system in the UK.

gizmo wrote on Dec 9th, 2009 at 11:38am:
The same mask is available in Germany via Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Cheers!

Luv,
Tim
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:20pm by hypothalamus »  
IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:43pm

hypothalamus wrote on Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:19pm:
Oh I don't mind that. I always do the washing up! Cheesy  Lips Sealed But.... Before I generally agree to anything- which other girly jobs are you talking about?  =D

ALL OF THEM DUMMY!!

Quote:
That's good Smiley.

Well trained too!

Quote:
I'm obsessed with... getting started.... I might move back to the UK soon.
Cheers!

Luv,
Tim

Cut out all those unnecessary words and you can find some interesting stuff... Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!