Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How much can I blame CH? (Read 6747 times)
angelmouse75
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Ruislip|United_Kingdom||0|0|
How much can I blame CH?
Mar 31st, 2010 at 7:18am

Hi all, my husband was diagnosed with CH 2 years ago, although he's had them since he was a kid. To get the diagnosis was brilliant but it's been a long old struggle. After many meeting with his GP and a referral to a migraine clinic last week it was realised that his Verapamil was too low so that has been increased and it's been agreed that he can give O2 a try, although it'll take a few weeks to put in place. My biggest problem is that he's in the middle of a cycle right now and has been off work for the last 3 weeks. He gets his attack first thing in the morning, injects himself with the sumatriptan and then takes himself back to bed for the rest of the day. By the evening he's fine and up watching tv, playing on the computer and every evening I think that this will be the last one and then he'll go back to work but every morning starts the same. We have 3 gorgeous children, including a 6 month old little boy and I'm currently on maternity leave but supposed to be going back to work teaching next month. I'm on about 1/5 of my wages as statutory maternity pay and I dread to think about what my husband's pay will look like next month if they've put him on sick pay - he's only been back at work for 6 months after having a year on/off for depression.

I know it's selfish and I know I can't begin to understand how much pain he's in when he has the attacks and I don't doubt that they're genuine but I don't believe that they last all day and I know of other sufferers who still manage to get on with their lives as best as they can. It feels to me like an excuse to get back under the covers and sleep the day away. I'm physically and mentally exhausted and having to look after the kids on my own, as well as taking on private tutoring so that we can stay afloat financially but he just doesn't acknowledge any of this. I was up at 4 with my son this morning, then had to get my girls ready for school and take them in, now that my son's having his morning nap I'm having to get on with laundry, bottles and general cleaning - meanwhile my husband is still in bed and I know isn't having an attack because I've been in there and he just looks at me from beneath the covers before closing his eyes and going back to sleep.
Maybe i'm just a heartless b**ch but where's my sleep? Where's my chance to recharge? I'm tired and frightened that his work are just going to have enough of the amount of time he's had off and sack him - then what do I do? Cry

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: How much can I blame CH?
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:54am

Personally, I think you can blame about 5% of this on CH and the other 95% on how he has decided to react to it. I've been episodic for the last 31 years. Had a GREAT day yesterday. Celebrated my retirement after a fantastic 30 year career in law enforcement, retiring as a patrol sergeant. Spent the day signing retirement documents, paused for 20 minutes around 2:00 in the afternoon to fight a CH attack with oxygen and a Red Bull. Was a good fight, but eventually beat it.

Fast forward to 5:00 last night, a great party my station threw for me at a local pizza joint to say good bye to me. Figured half a beer would  be okay as I thought my cycle was almost over. (Shut up you guys, in hind sight I KNOW that was a stupid move Grin )   Yeah, I got SLAMMED. A knee buckling OMG I'm about to start crying in front of my peeps hit. Raced out to the van for the imitrex I swore I wasn't going to resort to this cycle. 10 minutes later I'm back to the party. As a bonus the trex got me throught the night without another hit. (Yeah...no more beer for me for a while...damnit!)

Yes I ramble a lot, but the point is, you can curl up in a ball and give up, or you can live your life between the hits. We have chronics on the board who get creamed multile times EVERY day, they fight through the hits, and get back to living. Get him on this board and we'll help him all we can. Then steer him towards counseling. His staying in bed sounds far more related to depression then it does to CH. Although many with CH have to deal with depression also.

Good luck, you've got a big load you're trying to carry. Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 10:22am

I'm with Joe.  CH is terrible but doesn't have to rule his life unless he allows it.

My husband was chronic for 15 years.  He went to work and we lived our lives.  No it wasn't always easy...it was damned hard at times.  My theory..if you lay down the 'beast' will keep you down.

It sounds like the depression is the main culprit.

Like Joe said....get him here.  He'll find the support he needs and even get a kick in the butt from fellow sufferers if necessary.

Good Luck, Sweetie....you're carrying a heavy load right now.

Jackie

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 10:26am

I have to agree with every single word Guiseppi has just said.

Depression just goes along with CH and after a hit...there is a lot of fatigue..however I believe your husband is milking this a bit too far.  I've been chronic for 23 years and raised 7 kids.  I worked for 16 years cleaning other peoples houses where if I got hit in the middle of a job...I'd go out to my car, suck on some 02 or givew myself a shot and with-in 15 mins. after it was over, I'd be back inside cleaning.   Depression?  yes.  Oh, poor little me?  NEVER!

Do you think you can get him to come here and read?  Unless there is something else going on in your marriage, I can almost guarantee that after reading our stories, looking at all the info. on treatments etc...he will be far better able to cope emotionally.

Good luck to you as I understand how worn out you are right now with doing everything yourself.   Undecided

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 11:04am

Quote:
A knee buckling OMG I'm about to start crying in front of my peeps hit.

That was just an excuse to cry, big guy.

Rationalization is the second strongest human drive. Wink

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 11:20am

I have to agree with Guiseppi (my dear husband) on this one Angel. Your  husband may just be feeling overwhelmed with CH but if he's using the sumatriptan I'm assuming he's painfree when he goes back to bed. So if he's getting the rest he needs at night, and then managing the pain with the sumatriptan....well that leads me to believe it's something else.

If it were my husband I would be on the phone to his doctor for referrals to someone that can help with the depression. Maybe he hates his job? Maybe afraid of getting hit at work? Something going on there and my guess is the same behavior will continue until the root cause is identified and dealt with.

Meanwhile Angel we are here for you. Feel free to PM me or any one of us if you want an "offline" discussion.

If your husband joins in the CH discussions it may help him to know there are others that go through the same thing he does and still live health full lives. God I felt awful when Guiseppi took me aside at his retirement party last night to say "I'm in trouble" and ran out to the car. I thought he was going to do 02 out there so I was just going to mingle and hope nobody missed him. Instead he injected and was back in under 10 minutes and was fine. I don't think anyone even noticed he was gone.

Keep your spirits up, we're here to help you. And make sure you get some rest.

Christy

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 11:23am

Brew wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 11:04am:
Quote:
A knee buckling OMG I'm about to start crying in front of my peeps hit.

Rationalization is the second strongest human drive. Wink

And the strongest????? The desire for beer....which is what started all my trouble! Grin Grin

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 11:38am

Guiseppi wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 11:23am:

Rationalization is the second strongest human drive. WinkAnd the strongest????? The desire for beer....which is what started all my trouble! Grin Grin

Close:

Self-preservation.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Cece
CH.com Junior

Clusters are the devil!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 12:18pm

Hi and sorry for all your struggles. But I also have to agree with everyone else. My husband has been chronic for almost 3 years and suffers mild depression but he gets up everyday and goes to work. And when he is home, he only works 3 days a week, so he fixes things, does laundry, help me clean....
From what I read and my experience, when an attack comes, you can't be laying down or sleeping it off. I believe your husband is very depressed. CH are hell but manageable most of the times. He is missing out on his babies and wonderful wife. Good luck and I hope he gets better love.

cecilouusa  
IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 9:49pm

I would blame it 33% on CH, 33% on depression and 33% on him.  The reason is simple.  Depression and CH are a deadly combination.  You can treat one and the other pops up.  I have only found one anti-depressant I can take without triggering CH.

With this said, he needs to get back to work.  The best way to fight CH (and depression) is to get the right meds (or other ways to fight it) and get back to life as usual.

Tell him you have heard that with O2, many Chers have found the ability to live a normal life.  O2 can help a lot with the pain and the mental anguish of CH and thus maybe jumpstart him to work!

Anyway, best of luck may he become pain free soon!

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Dollyhair
CH.com Newbie

I Love 02!

Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 3:11pm

Hi there,

Have sent you a PM. I only live down the road from you.

I cant believe they are saying it's going to take a few weeks to sort out 02!! I was lucky enough to go to my GP on the Monday with a form which I downloaded from the OUCH UK website which was half filled in already, all the GP had to do was fill in my details and fax over to the supplier and by the Thursday, the Oxygen supplier had delivered me 2 large tanks with 2 non rebreather masks. I can't believe I waited 20 years to use it!! It aborts with 5-10 minutes. Make sure that you chase it up as I assume you have to wait for the Neuro to send a letter to the GP before he'll do anything!!

Caron x

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:33pm

Angel,

I can't add a thing to what Guiseppi said.  The fear of CH is often stronger than the actual attacks.  The fear of getting hit in public is real, and can be almost paralyzing, but MUST be overcome if he is going to live a self-satisfying life.  If he continues to hide from life he will be miserable, plus he will miss out on the best part of life, his marriage.  Unfortunately, YOU are NOT the one who can tell him.  Get him here somehow and let us help to encourage and build him back up.  I really doubt medication for depression is the answer.  From what you said, and I am not a psychologist, it sounds more like a lack of confidence in dealing with the beast.  It is easier to hide from it, and to hide from life itself than to face it and deal with it.  I understand where he is, have been there, and it is no fun, but it becomes increasingly harder to face it the more he hides.  I've been dealing with it for wellover 30 yrs now, 7+ chronic, and have learned life goes on whether I participate or not.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

paula banyard
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Staffordshire uk
Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 6:45pm

I have to say that as a ch sufferer that also uses sumatriptan injections, I have to agree with Guiseppeand his wife. I live alone so have to just get on with life, even with ch's. I take the 'jab' as soon as I feel the beast invading my head, if it's in the early hours of the morning, thats fine, because after 10mins I'm pf and able to go back to sleep, and yes, I sleep, lol, but if I have to inject when I get up in the mornings, sleeping afterwards isnt an option. I have to pay my bills, so work is a must. The sumatriptan in injection form actually allows me to function well enough to continue what I need to do. before I was referred to a neuro, I was on a concoction off drugs, sumatriptan in tablet form, dihydrocodeine as a general painkiller and sanomigran at night, these made me so disfunctional that 2wks off work at least mid-cycle was almost a certainty. So yes, it seems that your hubby may well be using ch's to spend the ay in bed. having said that, I hope he feels better very soon

I wish I could turn back the clock and the only pain I feel is the pain of a grazed knee
paula banyard  
IP Logged

RuVa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Belgium ~ Oost-Vlaanderen
Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 4:55am

Hmm... Well this is tough.
Joe, there is a lot of value in your post.
But I think talking is key here. Why does he stay in bed? Because he wants to hide or because of the effects his CH's have on him?

I've only had 4 cycles so far during the last 2,5 years and only during the last 2,5 years.
Ok, so this is still pretty new to me and I've only just discovered this site a couple of weeks ago. This discovery made me realize a lot of things and makes me capable of trying to do different things to battle this beast.

However...
During a cycle I also can't go to work Sad
The first 2-3 hits I can manage without imitrex and I'll probably still go to work and my stubborn nature will not accept that there might be more CH's coming so I'll just go on. When more CH come though, the exhaustion kicks in and the pain is way too much to bear so I need an imitrex.

There's the problem right there. An imitrex just knocks me out cold. I can't go back to doing what I was after taking an imitrex. At least for about an hour I'm knocked out cold on the floor, bed, chair, whatever... The pain is gone sure but I have a total blackout after the shot. Even after the knock out, I'm exhausted from the shot. Maybe I react to something in the shot, I don't know. But it's better than enduring the pain.

Then there's the screwed up head I have during and after a cycle. I can't concentrate, lack orientation and focus etc...
Point being, I'm useless and it hurts knowing that (although I've learned to accept that).

It is only after getting to this site and reading advice and info here and getting wonderful replies to a lot of questions that I got to making an appointment with my doctor about trying out the O2 abortive and maybe verapamil instead of topamax. I seriously hope those things will allow me to function a lot better during and after a cycle.

Given, CH does put me down mentally but I have gotten strong enough to cope with that. If it gets too bad my wife cheers me up with a hug or some gentle words. For me, it is all the side effects that come with CH during a cycle that disable me. Luckily I have still some things to try out so I'm not done battling yet.

@angelmouse75, what I believe is very important is to keep on talking. CH is tough, not only for the sufferer but for everyone involved ... so it is important to all keep talking about how each member of the family experiences it. It will increase the understanding amongst each other.
What I try to do during a cycle is to look forward to that time my cycle will be over. Even though I might not be very useful and just sit around, it helps me stay a little positive and it will allow me not to keep hiding. I mean, you have to get out of it. You can accept you have CH but accepting it has you beaten is another thing.

I hope you and your family will soon have relief from this difficult time!

Best wishes!

Love wasn't meant in the heart to stay, for love isn't love until you give it away.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 7:39am

RuVa - Have you tried the partial Imitrex shot?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

More bang for your buck, and maybe it wouldn't have the same wipeout effect?

IP Logged

RuVa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Belgium ~ Oost-Vlaanderen
Reply #15 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 8:14am

Brew, that's 2 great tips in a row Smiley
Haha, thanks!!

Just wondering how to manually inject myself using a q-tip thingy, but I'll look it up. Who knows it might indeed work.

Cheers

Love wasn't meant in the heart to stay, for love isn't love until you give it away.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #16 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 9:52am

Or you could ask to have your doc write the script for vials and syringes. Then just do 2mg instead of the standard 6mg dose.

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #17 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 9:00pm

from what I read, this is a matter of depression NOT clusters.

I'm a 6 1/2 yr chronic. During this stint, I had 2 children (most recently my son was born 12 days ago).
I have not lost or taken leave from work with exception of 1 week for a DHE infusion.

I think that the way we deal with pain and the way we share it with our supporters is extremely important.

We must learn to cope with the mental pain and the physical will not be as difficult to cope with.

With all due respect, your hubby needs a kick in the ass.
I used to have my daughter with me rocking on my couch. Her to sleep and me with my Oxygen because I was in agony. the bottom line is that I am a father first and the fact that my wife was dealing with post partum depression made it all the more important that I do more despite having multiple attacks.

The fact is that if he didn't have this disorder would he not be helping? you knwo the answer.

he needs help getting over the anxiety or depression more than the clusters and he needs to step up and be a better husband and father.

Best of luck to you

E

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 10:23pm

There are times when having a husband with CH is like being a single parent.  But I've learned how to graciously allow my husband to walk in and out of our lives through a revolving door during his cycle.   I plan for him not to be there and when he is, it's a bonus.  There are people out there who are single parents and they are making it. . .I have a husband who, between hits, helps and does the best he can (although the meds sometimes make him act differently) and I feel blessed when he's there.  That said, I've never seen him stay in bed all day with CH.  I've seen him have no motivation and be exhausted, and afraid to go to bed, but there is something else going on with your hubby.  It's one more thing for you to do, but he needs to see a professional to find out what it is.  He needs to have you help him get to the bottom of this.  Depressed people cannot help themselves sometimes (if it turns out he is, in fact, depressed), make an appointment for him and put the problem in the hands of professionals.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #19 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 8:45am

Quote:
With all due respect, your hubby needs a kick in the ass.

Yeesss....but not all kicks are the same. I have been saying that depression can be like an addiction, with exactly the same benchmarks of personal and social destruction as any substance. It's called a process addiction. And it's addictive qualities are real.

So...yes. The process, in this case depression, needs to be confronted as does any substance abuse. But with love and information. Knowledge is the key to any recovery, and realiziation that there is a problem is the beginning. True with all addictions, process included.

Simply harassing the individual, or worse shaming him, will only deepen the need for medicated feelings. And it doesn't matter what the drug of choice is...alcohol or depression...the end result is not productive. lance

IP Logged

Gaz Jones
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Sibiu, Romania
Reply #20 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 7:17am

When I am in a cluster it is not the actual attacks that have caused me to have a day off work but the aftermath of them. I have been a sufferer for nearly 15 years and had maybe two days off work.
When the attacks come during the night I can end up having maybe two or three hours sleep a night and if this continues for a few days then it is almost impossible for me to function so I need to take a day off. I never get headaches in the morning so I can sleep late without fear of an attack.
Perhaps this is what has happened with your husband, perhaps he has realised that if he sleeps during the day then he can get his sleep without being disturbed by attacks, he is basically becoming nocturnal as a defence mechanism to get some sleep and this is becoming a habit even when the headaches are'nt to bad.
The bottom line is though, as a sufferer you still have billls to pay and mouths to feed and you just can't lay in bed all day to avoid losing sleep. I have had attacks at work, I suffer along until it gets really bad and then take myself off to the toilet until it calms down, if anyone questions me about this I tell them the truth and offer to make up the time I took on the toilet after hours, I have never been taken up on this offer yet

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!