Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ever have a bad shadow? (Read 3904 times)
Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
ever have a bad shadow?
Aug 31st, 2010 at 10:09pm

did you ever have a bad shadow - in that there is no CH pain, but a lot of soreness in the back of the head and very strong photophobia (and audiophobia?)?

Just curious....

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Re: ever have a bad shadow?
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 11:47pm

You've got a headache in the back of the head there.  That isn't CH.  Sounds more like a mild migraine to me.  Most CH'ers don't have issues with photophobia or audiophobia.  That tends to be more of a migraine issue.  That is not to say however that NO clusterhead deals with either, because some do.  It is not common however.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2010 at 8:33am

sucks for me....photophobia and audiophobia have always come with my cluster headaches. And I've been positvely diagnosed with CH for at least 20 years.

I had never noticed the soreness in the back of the head (around the bones behind each ear) until my new neurologist asked about it and noded sagely. That's where he performed my occipital nerve block. Go figure.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 12:11am

The occipital nerves are found in the back of the head.  How they affect CH I don't understand, but somehow they do. 

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 1:19am

Nope, never had that.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 1:50pm

Likely it's tension of your trapezious muscles in relation to your CH.  Your traps run down from mid back up and long your shoulders and then up your neck and attach to some connective tissue at the base of your skull (where you're describing the pain).  The connective tissue then runs over the top and side of your head and attaches at your forehead. 

If the traps are tight (with overwork or stress) you can gets what's called a tension headache as they pull on their connections and that connective tissue.  The pain is often felt in the back or crown of the head and/or in the forehead often as a aching pressure feeling.

Heat pack, massage, relaxation exercises over the shoulders and neck may help.

and, man, if you can't be stressed over CH, what can you be stressed about?!

Just my 2cents!

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 8:09am

You can have CHs and migraine or tension headaches at the same time, or on and off at different times. One unfortunately does not exclude the other. But it's important to note (for reasons of proper abortives) that CHs are not typically affected by light or sound, while other headache types are. So...if what you describe is kicked off by a cluster, or concomitant with one, what works to abort the cluster probably will not abort the tension or stress or migraine headache. This has been my experience. After several rounds of KIP 7+ hits, I will get a pretty bad "normal" headache. So...I learn to treat both. Hope this helps! Also, keep in mind, when we say shadow we really mean a low level Cluster. Pressure, low pain, but with the potential to build and will respond to our routine abortives. Blessings! lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 9:39am

Lace makes an excellent point, it's JUST terminology, but when it comes to treatments, the difference becomes important. A shadow has all the characteristics of a CH, without the intense pain, and genrally will respond to the same treatments a ch will, 02 etc.

Identifying WHAT this secondary headache is will lead you towards an effective treatment. Definitely worth getting back to the neuro to see what the secondary diagnosis is.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 3:42pm

Peter B wrote on Aug 31st, 2010 at 10:09pm:
did you ever have a bad shadow - in that there is no CH pain, but a lot of soreness in the back of the head and very strong photophobia (and audiophobia?)?

Just curious....

Ever check the barometric pressure when you get a headache like this?  Could be a pressure headache.

Often when there is a barometric pressure change of .02 or more either up or down this can cause those susceptible to them to get a barometric pressure headache.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Hot cloth or hot shower to the back of the neck will often relieve some of the pain unfortunately these is not always successful, but are worth a try.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 4:14pm

Peter B wrote on Aug 31st, 2010 at 10:09pm:

Just curious....

I suffer from episodic CH (in remission 4 years) but also migraines - very infrequent.  With migraines only I experience both photophobia and audiophobia.  With CH, never, not even with shadows.

Shadows, to me are a CH that does not ramp up above a K3 level.

Whatever headache pain/shadow you are experiencing sound more like a migraine than a CH.

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 5:34pm

not that it matters - but in this headache its not painful in the back of the neck, but sore. Only hurts if I press on that spot. Sore in the exact same way that CH shows soreness in that area when I have a proper headache.

As I wrote before I never noticed this soreness in my 20+ years of CH. It was only when my new neurologist asked me if I ever got soreness there that I started looking.

Pretty sure it is not a migraine. Must just be the way the beast treats me Sad

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 6:43pm

Yes Yes and yes every effing day several times a day since my last cycle ended .

I am one of those people who get photophobick with a ch attack and more often than not with shadows too , people at work have now stopped asking why I wear sun glasses when it's cloudy. Cool

for me a can of red bull will usually see it off , over the counter painkillers are useless even at low kip levels ,so I'm fairly shore this is low kip ch......for me at least any way.

God bless

Nigel

edit  oh by the way I don't get audiophobia at any time , in or out if cycle. and only sore behinde the ear on bad shadows.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2010 at 6:46pm by Headache Boy uk »  

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 7:50pm

Thanks for the reply Headache Boy UK - I will try the RedBull and probably the sunglasses too

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #13 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 4:54am

Hi Pete

Polarised sunnies are best as they cut out the glare Cool Cool

God bless

Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 10:06pm

I get the back of the head thing as well. mostly during shadows and not the actual CH. 
Had photphobia just once during the worst CH attack I ever had.  Even through up during that one.

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Kate
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 10:20pm

I've never noticed soreness at the back of my head during any CH. I'm only photophobic during migraines, which I get when I am not in a cluster cycle. The only exception is that bright, glaring, afternoon sun can set off a CH, but it only sets it off. It does not make me uncomfortable to be in the sun like the photophobia I experience with migraine.

IP Logged

Gaz Jones
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Sibiu, Romania
Reply #16 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 7:20am

I get photophobic duriing a cycle but only in my right eye, which is the one my headaches affect. When I have shadows, I have one now, my right eye twitches and becomes more senitive to light, I also sometimes have the pressure feelings at the back of my head and neck but I think this is just stress in my shoulders and neck from lack of sleep and being extremely tense. I never get audophobic even during a severe attack but in a bad attack I would rather pace about in a dark room than a bright one.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2010 at 7:25am by Gaz Jones »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #17 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 4:42pm

I get photophobic and audiophobic just before a CH hits (or shadows) and for me it helps as it gives me a little bit extra warning that the CH is about to arrive. Once the CH or shadow has gone I'm no longer photophobic or audiophobic.

My partner is now so in tune with these two symptoms that she knows before I even say anything what is happening just from my body language in reacting to these two phobias.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!